Does anyone here keep chickens?

jenkins

Reaction score
Ive started looking into keeping chickens and it looks so exciting!

I think it would be brill for lo to get involved with and fresh eggs sound lovely!

I've been thinking for a while that I would like to get a family pet, and while I know chickens aren't exactly a dog or cat I think it would be a great learning experience for me and lo.

We have a garden that is bit enough for a coop and run so that ok, the thing that is concerning me is noise. Are they very noisy? Not that it would bother me but I'd be worried about the neighbours.

Tia any advice appreciated:flower:

They're not noisy so long as you don't get a cockerel, but they do make a hell of a mess in your garden, you need to confine them out of areas where you want things to grow lol

No, they are not noisy if you don't keep a cockerel :thumbup:

Ive had lots of chickens over the years. They aren't very loud unless you have a rooster. They are really fun to watch and sweet if you get a good breed thats known for being friendly. If you wanted to plant anything like tomatoes in your garden you would just have to keep them away from that as they like to eat tomatoes right off the vine, lol.
Its a wonderful experience :)

We really want to have chickens we have thought about it for a while. Id say go for it and have fun

Thanks all that was exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I've just ordered 'chicken keeping for dummies' from amazon so will have a good read of that.

I'm interested in adopting ex battery chickens I think, no cockerels lol so it's reassuring to know the neighbours won't be bothered by any noise.

I've had family that keep chickens and they loved it! They collected eggs every morning and never had to buy any at all.

They had to be careful of foxes though, but I think that was mainly because they lived in the countryside.

Ooh exciting! OH and I have said we want a chicken coop when we get a bigger house with a bigger garden!

A lady that lives 4 doors away from me keeps chickens, she also has a rooster but i rarely hear it tbh. I do like sitting in the garden listening to the chickens clucking but its not very often we hear them.

we have just bought a chicken coop to use as a rabbit hutch in view to getting chickens after the rabbit has gone

https://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/images/Dorset/dorset-front.jpg

They're not noisy so long as you don't get a cockerel, but they do make a hell of a mess in your garden, you need to confine them out of areas where you want things to grow lol

Exactly this :thumbup:

We have 3.

They're lovely to keep but be prepared for lots of poo...

:flower:

we have just bought a chicken coop to use as a rabbit hutch in view to getting chickens after the rabbit has gone

https://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/images/Dorset/dorset-front.jpg

Wow that looks great!

Do you mind me asking where you got it from and what you think of the quality?
I have been looking on several sites dedicated to coops but then I've seen some on ebay (new) that look the same or similar but are cheaper:flower:

no problem its from ebay il find you a link -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13057872...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5555wt_924

its very good quality although my rabbit has already tried biting thru the ramp (bloody thing lol!)

these guys were very quick delivery too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->