Does ANYONE know good tricks for this...?

Whimsy82

Reaction score
I have horrible congestion that's been with me since I found out I was pg.

For the last week, my throat gets coated with phlegm and I have the constant compulsion to clear my throat. It gets worse when I'm at work in my quiet office building and I feel like it's obnoxious and annoying so it makes me want to do it even more. When I'm at home, I cough and choke and gag to get that feeling out and it worries my DH.

Does anyone else deal with this and have some tricks that work? I do my best to stay away from milk and things that I know cause it. Is there anything that can be prescribed to pregnant women to help specifically with this?

I hope I'm not the only one dealing with this! It's drving me bonkers!!!!

I had that my WHOLE pregnancy.....basically I would have to gag and choke every morning to get the phlem out...it was AWFUL....my dr tried giving me a nasal spray for it...but I just didnt feel comfortable taking it when I googled about using it while pregnant....unfortunately...nothing you can do.... :(

I find that a couple of big gulps on a fizzy drink helps for me :)

water with a ton of lemon (or straight up lemon if you can handle it) helps me :)

I've had post nasal drip for years, it's similar to what you are experiencing, and I've learned how to effectively take care of it. You could try mixing a batch of warm water and salt, just regular salt, and then gargling it in the back of your throat. If that isn't as effective as you would like, you could always try this technique, it's going to sound awkward and gross, but bear with me because it really does work. First mix a batch of warm water and regular salt again (the amount of salt you use really doesn't matter) then tilt you head to the side, and allow the water salt mix to go into your nostril. It will eventually clear a path through the mucus in both your nose and in your throat as the salt helps to break up the mucus. Do the same to the other side as well and it should start to work almost immediately after you are done, and best of all, it's all natural and won't harm the baby, so you can do it as often as needed. Good luck, hope you find some relief soon

I may have to try some of these when its my turn again. I could not handle another 9 months of gagging and throwing up every morning for 9 months. It stopped the minute I had the baby so, I'm willing to get pregnant again in hopes I DON'T get it again...once baby got heavy, basically the gagging would be so harsh it would cause me to pee..is there anything less attractive. 6am..gagging pregnant lady peeing herself. Ahhhhh the beauty of being pregnant!!! Hahahahaha

Have you ever tried a Netti pot? They are great for congestion.

The OB told me Zyrtec and Claritin D were fine to take, but the MFM wanted me to watch the Claritin D because my BP is already borderline and she said it can raise it. Those may help clear it up some.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm pretty sure I know when I conceived because that's when this congestion started and hasn't eased up since. I thought at first it was just allergies but they never stopped. Then I read it's called rhinitis of pregnancy or something like that. Just recently the throat clearing started.

My mom swears by the netti pot and I hear doing that and salt water rinses in your nasal cavaties are really helpful. I could try it but the thought does freak me out a bit. However, I'm feeling desperate at this point!

I had no idea Claritin D could raise BP....I do take generic Claritin though and it seems to help. Hot tea with lemon also helps some too. I may try straight up lemon too!!

Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->