does anyone know the true facts of counting weeks

zarax

Reaction score
I was told u fall pregnant two weeks before ur period but u don't know it and then u have that period for the last time? Is this true or false. I have been trying to work out how many weeks I could be, I don't know when I ovulate. But the day of my last period was 23rd of march. I found out I was pregnant on 26th april with faint positives. But when I spoke to my doctor over the phone he says I'm roughly 9 weeks going by the first day of my last period. My last period was almost 7 weeks ago o I am lost lol.

Really sorry if I am making no sense.

Zara.x

So you ovulate approximately 14 days after day 1 of a period. The pregnancy is counted from day 1 of bleeding of that period, but if you got pregnant in that cycle there isn't anything there u til the egg is fertilised. So really week 1 and 2 of your pregNancy there is nothing really there.
So assuming the 23rd March was day 1 of bleeding, and average cycle is 28 days, your due date is 28th of Dec. So you're 6 weeks pregnantes. That is how uk count it.

So you ovulate approximately 14 days after day 1 of a period. The pregnancy is counted from day 1 of bleeding of that period, but if you got pregnant in that cycle there isn't anything there u til the egg is fertilised. So really week 1 and 2 of your pregNancy there is nothing really there.
So assuming the 23rd March was day 1 of bleeding, and average cycle is 28 days, your due date is 28th of Dec. So you're 6 weeks pregnantes. That is how uk count it.

This is how most pregnancies are calculated.

With mine, my LMP was Jan 28th. With that my EDD is November 4th, 2014. I am just over 14 weeks along. But I did have an early scan/dating scan at 9w1d, and baby was measuring 8w4d, which most likely means I ovulated later, and conception was later in cycle that what is expected on a perfect 28 day cycle. My cycle was normally anywhere from 29-34 days.

Until I see my doctor for confirmation, I have used the due date calculators. I just find them on Google :) Most just need your LMP, and then you're good. My LMP was March 17th, and I found out I was pregnant on 4/10, 4 days before my missed period. According to the calculators I've used, I am due December 22nd :)

I was told u fall pregnant two weeks before ur period but u don't know it and then u have that period for the last time? Is this true or false. I have been trying to work out how many weeks I could be, I don't know when I ovulate. But the day of my last period was 23rd of march. I found out I was pregnant on 26th april with faint positives. But when I spoke to my doctor over the phone he says I'm roughly 9 weeks going by the first day of my last period. My last period was almost 7 weeks ago o I am lost lol.

Really sorry if I am making no sense.

Zara.x

Hey,
That's false. You fall pregnant approximately 2 weeks (give or take, depending on when exactly you ovulate in your cycle - the "norm" is 14 days into a 28 day cycle) before your *expected* next period (but you miss it and find out you're pregnant instead!) And then, doctors typically count the other 14 days or so before ovulation occurred (so the first day of your actual last period - for you March 23rd). If March 23rd was the *first* day of your last period and you have a regular 28 day cycle, you are almost 7 weeks pregnant according to common medical guidelines! (but baby has actually only been in there for 5 weeks) Congrats :) As a pp said, if you're unsure, you can always check one of the many online calculators, and it will tell you how far along you are and your EDD.

They start counting weeks on the first day of your last period, so the week of your period would be week 1, even though you technically aren't pregnant yet (which gets confusing). By the time of your missed period, you will be considered about 4 weeks pregnant if you have a fairly standard cycle. As a pp mentioned, you'd now be considered almost 7 weeks pregnant. They may adjust your dates later on depending on how the baby measures.

So many people have asked this recently! Firstly, are your cycles (day1 of period to the day before your next period starts) the normal 28days long? If so then you can work out your EDD the traditional way (by LMP) and it'll be about right. If they are shorter or longer then it's a little different and you'd need to go by ovulation. Once you get your first scan the pregnancy will be more accurately dated so I wouldn't worry yourself over an accurate date until then.

You fall pregnant when you ovulate and the sperm meets the egg, that's conception and you count a pregnancy from that date BUT add an additional 2 weeks on to the total as you always count a pregnancy from the start of a cycle (based on a normal 28 day cycle). Your EDD is just an estimate anyway and baby can come 2 weeks within that date either way :flower:

If you used LMP, then I'd be using May 2012 (I got pregnant with my son after that, BF him for a year with no period and then got pregnant in my first fertile cycle after BF)!! LMP is only accurate if you have regular cycles, BUT medics use it since it's all they have to work with until you have a scan.

If you don't have regular cycles, then take the first day you get a faint positive, and count that as the first day of week 4 (since you generally get your first positive around the time of your period).

The reality is that although most of us can work out when we may have ovulated, no one will ever know when we conceived. The only true fact is the start date of your last period, so that's what is accepted as being the beginning of the first week. Then they add on another 40 weeks, but babies are only grown for 38weeks on average. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->