Does anyone swaddle?

M

MrJoeBoy

Hey there, sometimes we swaddle Daisy if she is unsettled but I just read that you shouldn't do it after a month, from baby center:

You should stop swaddling your baby once he is about a month old, because after that it can interfere with mobility and development.

Does anyone still swaddle after their baby is a month old?

I did till now, he is already rolling and grabbing everything in site so it hasn't hindered his development one bit. He is rolling a great amount for such a young baby. I just swaddle when he is sleeping though not all day and not for anything else.

Oh and I only swaddle his arms now so it doesnt mess up his hips. I think the development thing applies to babies that are swaddled all day and night even when awake.

Yup 4 months an still swaddling, I read the same thing but as above this will only be if you are swaddling all day every day! We only swaddle at night at its only her arms we swaddle aswell! She only sleeps for 30-45 mins without being swaddled so I aint giving it up anytime yet!!

You shouldn't really swaddle past 3 or 4 months. It's tempting to do because swaddling often helps your baby sleep. I transitioned my baby from swaddling to a wearable blanket. It kept him snug without having his arms swaddled and confined. There are a few manufacturers that make wearable blankets. I use the Halo SleepSack.

what a load of tosh that quote is. Swaddling is totally safe up to 6 months at latest, but the later you leave it to not swaddle, the harder you may find it. I went from swaddle to gro bag at around months, with a cotton sheet over the top to tuck arms under initially when settling.

yes i dp only at night and only his arms as he has always been to long to fit legs in swaddle pouch!! would like to get him out of it tho but he keeps yanking dummy out when not swaddled then gets teasy and wont sleep lol

I swaddle my twins and will continue to do so for as long as they want,we do it at night for bed time.

I started not swaddling Olivia at the weekend and it went great on Friday and Sat nite!

what a load of tosh that quote is. Swaddling is totally safe up to 6 months at latest, but the later you leave it to not swaddle, the harder you may find it. I went from swaddle to gro bag at around months, with a cotton sheet over the top to tuck arms under initially when settling.

What makes you say that it's tosh?

Yup 2 months and still swaddling, I've only ever swaddled his arms though as he doesn't seem to wake up self up by kicking his feet, it's just his arms that he likes to be snug else he throws them about and wakes himself up.

We only swaddle when he sleeps, day or night, he's never swaddled when he's not asleep

We swaddled Edward until he was around 5 months old. Suddenly he stopped sleeping well when he was swaddled so we unswaddled him and voila, he slept again. So really, he decided when he was ready to be unswaddled.

what makes me say its a load of tosh? the ONE month part. your baby spends its last month or so squished up with its legs around its ears in your womb, i highly doubt a month in a swaddle will do any damage whatsoever unless its permanent. Not to mention having never been told that by any midwife or health visitor i have seen after each of my babies, or knowing any babies with any sort of hip problems or developmental delay after being swaddled for more than a month....that enough?

what makes me say its a load of tosh? the ONE month part. your baby spends its last month or so squished up with its legs around its ears in your womb, i highly doubt a month in a swaddle will do any damage whatsoever unless its permanent. Not to mention having never been told that by any midwife or health visitor i have seen after each of my babies, or knowing any babies with any sort of hip problems or developmental delay after being swaddled for more than a month....that enough?

I agree that spending 1 month in a swaddle will not do any damage, thats not what i was asking, it was after the first month that i was asking about. Thats what the quote says.

Also google Dr Sears and swaddling, he says there is new research to indicate poor development of the hip joint. Our health visitor had not said anything to us either until I directly asked about this and then she said to air on the side of caution and try not to swaddle, not just for this reason but for rolling over too.

I'm going to just not swaddle, I'd hate to take the risk and I'd never know if Daisy was not developing correctly or not since it's not like I have two babies to test it out on, one swaddled, one not and compare the two!

I have just stopped swaddling Olivia, I only ever swaddled her arms and she is great at reaching out and grabbing objects, though I only ever swaddled her at night. I dont think it has affected her development at all and the only reason I have stopped it because she now rolls over to sleep on her tummy xx

I dont think it has affected her development at all

See that is the part I just wouldn't know about. How can you tell if it has or hasn't unless you have a twin who you don't swaddle to compare it to?

See that is the part I just wouldn't know about. How can you tell if it has or hasn't unless you have a twin who you don't swaddle to compare it to?

I see what your saying but Olivia is 5 months old now and if she wasnt reaching out for objects or using her arms very well, I personally would relate this to the swaddling and would have stopped much sooner. But as you have mentioned every baby is different and without having another baby to compare to I guess we will never know for sure. Hope that makes sense xx

I see what your saying but Olivia is 5 months old now and if she wasnt reaching out for objects or using her arms very well, I personally would relate this to the swaddling and would have stopped much sooner. But as you have mentioned every baby is different and without having another baby to compare to I guess we will never know for sure. Hope that makes sense xx

Yeah i agree.

I guess my worry isn't that Daisy wouldn't be able to do all the things she should but that she might do them later than she would have done had she not been swaddled you know.

Anyway, whether it is correct research or not everyone is different and for us I think we'll not take the risk. It's all about peace of mind at the end of the day :)

We use the Kiddopotamus swaddling cloths and they make them in a 3-6months size! However, the leg pocket is quite big and my baby often sleep in it with his knees apart and soles of his feet together so he can obviously move his legs and hips around happily, it's just his arms swe restrain and that's only when he sleeps at night, in the day he sleeps on me or under a blanket in his chair.

I agree that spending 1 month in a swaddle will not do any damage, thats not what i was asking, it was after the first month that i was asking about. Thats what the quote says.

Also google Dr Sears and swaddling, he says there is new research to indicate poor development of the hip joint. Our health visitor had not said anything to us either until I directly asked about this and then she said to air on the side of caution and try not to swaddle, not just for this reason but for rolling over too.

I'm going to just not swaddle, I'd hate to take the risk and I'd never know if Daisy was not developing correctly or not since it's not like I have two babies to test it out on, one swaddled, one not and compare the two!

Taken from baby centre:

Once your baby is about a month old you might want to stop swaddling him while he's awake, as it may interfere with mobility and development in older babies. It's fine to keep swaddling your baby for naps and nighttime if he seems to sleep better that way. He'll let you know by crying or kicking when he no longer wants to be bundled up.

I think this is where the confusion is....i dont know anyone whom would swaddle a baby when they are awake, except for maybe feeding time for unsettled babies. Allowing them to carry on at sleeptimes, will not do any harm what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->