Does babywearing make you unlikely to vote conservative?!

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
The local conservative candidate was around town today with his aides I guess. I was in a shop and saw them outside and they stopped 2 mums with prams to give leaflets and campaign to. I came out with Aisling in a mei tai and had to pause for a second to free her arm and they looked at me, looked at the sling and looked away! They weren't talking to anyone at the time but almost looked me up and down and thought 'nah'!!

DH reckons I probably looked too hippy and airy fairy to vote conservative and that they figured I was a liberal democrat supporter. Fact is I'm torn between the two so talking to them may have been useful! :wacko:

:dohh:

Well, I think that might seal it for me, then. If you are going to base what you think of me on whether or not I wear my baby then I surely don't want to vote for you! :rofl:

Incidentally, I am very non-partisan and will vote for the best candidate, regardless of party.

Problem with the system here is the leader of the party can leave mid term (as happened this time) so you're left with someone else running the country. Best to be happy with the party I think in those circumstances...

You were busy sorting Aislings arm they probably didnt want to bother you?

It was literally a second pulling out from under the sling strap :shrug: Maybe though, who knows!

Oh yeah... I forgot parties are more "important" over there for various reasons. Yeah, that does make it tricky. :?

Hehe I would probably assume that somebody with a baby carrier was the more liberal type all round I suppose, though I know it's wrong to make assumptions like that.

Wish I'd had a mei tai handy to wrap around the neck of the sods who shoved a BNP leaflet through my door today and slunk off before I got chance to talk to them. Nice long straps would have made a good lasso/noose!

I babywear almost exclusively and I will be voting conservative - mainly because the labour government have been trying to screw over the justice system and the Tories have given various undertakings that they won't bring these measures in. I had quite a lot of fun with a labour canvaser who rocked up on my doorstep and pretty much assumed he could "count on my vote" which is odd as I live in a Tory area. I immediately told him what I did for a living and he looked at me blankly asked me to explain why that meant I wouldn't vote labour! I pointed out that if I wasn't voting for his party then I was hardly likely to do his job for him by explaining a fairly major labour strategy so he didn't jhave to bother looking it up. Idiot!

I babywear almost exclusively and I will be voting conservative - mainly because the labour government have been trying to screw over the justice system and the Tories have given various undertakings that they won't bring these measures in. I had quite a lot of fun with a labour canvaser who rocked up on my doorstep and pretty much assumed he could "count on my vote" which is odd as I live in a Tory area. I immediately told him what I did for a living and he looked at me blankly asked me to explain why that meant I wouldn't vote labour! I pointed out that if I wasn't voting for his party then I was hardly likely to do his job for him by explaining a fairly major labour strategy so he didn't jhave to bother looking it up. Idiot!

What do you do?

Criminal legal aid lawyer. That won't mean much to anyone who doesn't work in the justice system but it should have rung some pretty major alarm bells with any active member of the labour party!

Ooh I was doing a law degree before I got pregnant :)

You would have thought so :roll: Legal aid should raise alarm bells for Labour when it comes to those of us in the legal profession. My old firm had to stop legal aid because of the changes and private family law clients aren't easy to come by in the area. Which is why I didn't get to go back as a locum - not bitter at all, am I?!:haha:

Surely they'd be wanting to convert people, not treating them as lost causes? No point preaching to the converted...

Anyway, it just so happens that I am a liberal lefty so they'd probably be right about me... though I'd never vote liberal democrat, tbh, even if they are technically the closest available option.

It's so hard to know what to do with the possibility of a hung parliament etc...

Am I the only one who is kind of excited about the idea of a hung parliament? I know it wouldn't be good for the economy in the short term, but I think it could mean some interesting changes to the way things are done.

No, if the Lib dems side with Labour the country will be stagnant

That's my fear. They won't be able to agree on anything so nothing would actually get done.

Surely they'd be wanting to convert people, not treating them as lost causes? No point preaching to the converted...

Anyway, it just so happens that I am a liberal lefty so they'd probably be right about me... though I'd never vote liberal democrat, tbh, even if they are technically the closest available option.

We're all lost causes! Didn't you know? We're all too weird to vote!

We're all lost causes! Didn't you know? We're all too weird to vote!

:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->