Does babywearing make you unlikely to vote conservative?!

I would actually have said yes (to the title i mean)

Not to say i think no-one who would vote conservative would ever babywear or vice versa, but if push came to shove i would be willing to bet (only a small amount of money mind you- we're pretty skint :haha: ) that within the UK more mums/dads who babywear would be more likely NOT to vote conservative than TO vote conservative...

...but of course it would be a difficult piece of research, and i'm not sure how you'd define babywearing because if the mum/dad in question only did it very occasionally with a babybjorn they might skew the sample...(which i just realised makes it sounds like i think babybjorn users are tories...so i am just going to stop digging my hole now! :blush: :haha: )

Incidentally, i will be voting lib dem in both local and generals.

Also, as a bit of an aside, i think it's funny when it comes to money and politics, as in talking about them i mean. Usually the people who are most uncomfortable talking about money and how much things cost are those who have a decent amount of it, and some people are quite private about their political stance too. I remember when i was studying for my German A-level my tutor telling me that over there it is quite rude to ask someone who they will be voting for/where their political viewpoint lies, it's seen as quite a private thing, sort of the equivalent of here in the UK asking someone how much they earn. Just a little bit of waffle there for you :haha:

Also, as a bit of an aside, i think it's funny when it comes to money and politics, as in talking about them i mean. Usually the people who are most uncomfortable talking about money and how much things cost are those who have a decent amount of it, and some people are quite private about their political stance too. I remember when i was studying for my German A-level my tutor telling me that over there it is quite rude to ask someone who they will be voting for/where their political viewpoint lies, it's seen as quite a private thing, sort of the equivalent of here in the UK asking someone how much they earn. Just a little bit of waffle there for you :haha:

I agree with you there, I always want to bring up the ongoing debates at the moment but worry that I might offend someone if I ask them who they will be voting for!!!
Why are people quiet about it? Are they ashamed, or is it like when you make a wish on your birthday - if you tell people, it won't come true!!!

I'm voting Lib Dem and I'm a babywearer - I don't want to cause argument but I'm believing the Baby Bjorners = Conservative thing, I think it it maybe because I live in the stix and have this sheltered view that all city folk are rich and have high flying jobs - like Legal aid lawer people (whilst i'm an outdoor instructor!) and wear suits, like David Cameron; and the advertising of Baby Bjorn seems to sway towards city folk!!! - Lol - is this a wierd way of thinking?

I'm a babywearer and I'll be voting Green. Now how nicely does that fit me into a stereotype??? lol.
I agree too that it's strange how people are so secretive about their political stance, although I have to say if I was a Tory voter I'd probably keep it secret too ;)

I agree with you there, I always want to bring up the ongoing debates at the moment but worry that I might offend someone if I ask them who they will be voting for!!!
Why are people quiet about it? Are they ashamed, or is it like when you make a wish on your birthday - if you tell people, it won't come true!!!

I'm voting Lib Dem and I'm a babywearer - I don't want to cause argument but I'm believing the Baby Bjorners = Conservative thing, I think it it maybe because I live in the stix and have this sheltered view that all city folk are rich and have high flying jobs - like Legal aid lawer people (whilst i'm an outdoor instructor!) and wear suits, like David Cameron; and the advertising of Baby Bjorn seems to sway towards city folk!!! - Lol - is this a wierd way of thinking?

A little weird! :haha:
Legal aid lawyers aren't rich, as I am sure Lu28 will confirm!
My friend uses a Baby Bjorn and is voting Labour - I use a wrap and am voting Tory. I don't think the type of baby carrier you choose says much about you save that you have decided that is the best way to carry your baby!

A little weird! :haha:
Legal aid lawyers aren't rich, as I am sure Lu28 will confirm!

:haha: It always amuses me that people see lawyer and think rich! :lol: I had a mixture of legal aid and private clients at my last firm and whenever I asked about their salary, the private clients always looked really embarrassed and blustery, saying well of course you earn much more than me I'm sure.... If only they knew that they earned twice what I did! :haha:

I think people will always have stereotypes about how they think people will vote but at least that means they're thinking about it. I overheard someone the other day saying they didn't watch any of the debates because they're boring and she didn't think she'd bother voting at all because it's a mess and it doesn't really matter who ends up in power, it'll still be a mess - that kind of apathy drives me nuts :grr:

My parents were always really private about who they voted for - they never told me, although I pestered them to find out when I was little! When I asked about it, my dad said something about the right to vote in private being something that should be valued as so many people aren't given that right. He seemed to think that people take fair and free elections for granted.

LOL sorry Lu hate to say it but Im someone who wont be voting because I dont think any one party will do a significantly better job than the next as they are all too far removed from the real world and its too much about making the OTHER party/ies look bad than just presenting the best policies.
Anyway, IF I voted (I wont be) I would not vote conservative. I do not agree with thier policies on disability and carers (less money for carers of the disabled) and they offer a poor deal to single parent families and unmarried couples with children. The education policy is a bit jumbled and not impressive at all.
I may not vote but I keep myself educated in politics all the same as if there ever came a reason to vote for a particular party over another I would know and act upon it.

That's the thing thought Squish, you're making a decision not to vote based on your own well thought reasons - it's not a case of not voting because you can't be bothered which is very much the impression I got from that lady...

same kinda thing actually happend too me only they were knocking at my door and i had him in the wrap and she said "you wont be voting conservatives will you?" i thought eh why not ??? haha but anyway she was right i am voting lim dems haha not because i babyware tho!!

How funny!

I will be voting tactically (if futile-ly) in a bid to keep the Tories out, but I live in a Tory stronghold. Bah. Noone has canvassed us at all...

LOL sorry Lu hate to say it but Im someone who wont be voting because I dont think any one party will do a significantly better job than the next as they are all too far removed from the real world and its too much about making the OTHER party/ies look bad than just presenting the best policies.
Anyway, IF I voted (I wont be) I would not vote conservative. I do not agree with thier policies on disability and carers (less money for carers of the disabled) and they offer a poor deal to single parent families and unmarried couples with children. The education policy is a bit jumbled and not impressive at all.
I may not vote but I keep myself educated in politics all the same as if there ever came a reason to vote for a particular party over another I would know and act upon it.

Can you go and 'spoil' your paper? Then you're not wasting the vote, but making an active protest against all the parties. I have a thing about people voting, my friend's great-grandma was a suffragette.

every one were i live's tories too, we've had 1 lib dems flyer millions of tories but no labour at all!

Am I the only one who is kind of excited about the idea of a hung parliament? I know it wouldn't be good for the economy in the short term, but I think it could mean some interesting changes to the way things are done.

I am! :blush:

I also think its better to spoil ballot papers than not vote.

Also, voting for the smaller parties does make a difference. Before the green party came along the bigger parties NEVER even thought that green issues were important but as the green party have grown the larger parties try and use eco issues to get votes.

So whoever you vote for has an effect to some degree as things change. Not in who gets into power but in the policies of the larger parties.

I TOTALLY understand voter apathy but I feel that its 1. giving in to the evil b*stards too easily and 2. not taking advantage of the freedom to vote and 3. Not being socially responsible and 4. Not appreciating the fact we have a country where our votes are very likely to be counted correctly.

I don't think I can convince those who don't want to vote but I really wish I could. :shrug:

As for voting conservative; i'd rather choke on vomit and die. :mrgreen: I understand that labour have been screwing us over for over a decade but I honestly to not believe that the tories will not be doing the same. Admittedly in a different aspect and a different area but we will be screwed. They talk about small government but welfare and the poor will suffer as will any form of regulation for the banks/big businesses. Same with labour in that regard. And I understand that a hung parliament may be messy both for the economy and logistically but since labour shifted over to the right I really feel we need a third voice to add balance to the debate, even if that voice is heard and not always acted upon.
:shrug:

It doesn't matter who I vote for as I live in a Labour strong hold but I WILL NOT be voting Labour or Conservative.

I'm waiting for someone to knock on my door, but no-one has :(
We live in a labour strong hold, but I'm still voting conservative as they're the party I feel represent me best (and I wear a mei tei!!!!).
Ironically between my family we probably even each other out, all voting for different parties!!! :dohh:

Isn't there a box to tick to say "I do not wish to vote for any of the candidates listed"? I can't remember, but I would do that rather than not voting for anybody. At least then I'd feel like I'd had my say!

Am I the only one who is kind of excited about the idea of a hung parliament? I know it wouldn't be good for the economy in the short term, but I think it could mean some interesting changes to the way things are done.

I'm really excited by this prospect!

Can you go and 'spoil' your paper? Then you're not wasting the vote, but making an active protest against all the parties. I have a thing about people voting, my friend's great-grandma was a suffragette.

Though I don't have suffragettes in the family (or know about) I have a thing about people voting too. Apathy makes me cross, women fought so hard for the right to vote.

I'm voting lib dem btw. I'm a Vince Cable fan :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->