• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does sex really help to induce labor?

maya85

Reaction score
is it true? and if so is it safe to have sex when your pregnant?

Sex is perfectly safe whilst pregnant, unless your GP advises you against it for some reason. I lost my plug with my daughter the morning after sex, and then started to dilate.. I don't know if it was the sex though, or if she was just ready to come anyway. :)

Personally I think if they aren't ready to come nothing is going to make them. But it is thought that something in the semen helps to soften the cervix ready for labour. It's safe to have sex when pregnant though unless you are told not to.

Personally I think if they aren't ready to come nothing is going to make them. But it is thought that something in the semen helps to soften the cervix ready for labour. It's safe to have sex when pregnant though unless you are told not to.

Yep, what she said, also besides the semen, orgasm makes your uterus contract so the only thing I'd say is if you're feeling uncomfortable, maybe slow down with the orgasms.

Unless you're having an at-risk pregnancy and your Dr advises you not to, sex is perfectly safe and it does not induce labour in and of itself, though, when your body is ready it can help move it along a little (semen contains something and the uterus contracting from orgasm helps).

Like all these lovely ladies said above ^^^ it is safe, unless Dr says otherwise.

Now as for bring on labour....(as one said ^^^) if baby isn't ready baby isn't going to come just because you have loads of :sex: I have tried it with my last two pg and it did bring on a contraction after a orgasm, which is also normal.....

100% certain you that :sex: will not bring on pre-term labour if you and baby are healthy!!

Im not sure if it really helps but it definitely worked for me. My waters broke 2 hours after nookie but could be pure coincidence x

Sex is safe, and it will supposedly help if baby is ready to come. It hasn't helped me at all, though. I always have loads of sex when I'm almost due. By the time I finally go into labor, I'm sexed out and haven't done the deed in a few days. Haha

It worked for me at least, we had sex and 5 hours later I had my baby boy.

Yes and yes to both of those questions.

The hormone that causes your uterus to contract in labour is oxytocin. It's commonly referred to as the 'love hormone' as your body naturally produces it when your feeling relaxed, cuddly, mushy and all lovey dovey. And when you orgasm you exude oodles upon oodles of the stuff! There's just an explosion of oxytocin!

Prior to pregnancy, the uterus only has a small number of oxytocin receptors. It has enough to react to the hormone (which is why orgasm often helps with cramping during menstruation), but there is certainly not enough to cause labour or miscarriage. Throughout pregnancy, one of the side effects is the amount of oxytocin receptors the uterus has increases more than 10 fold. So essentially, the timing works out so that you develop just enough oxytocin receptors required for labour just as baby is ready to be born. The body is an AMAZING thing :D And that's why, towards the end of pregnancy, once your uterus and baby are ready for the birth sex can stimulate the onset of labour. I've known MANY women who been kick started into labour through orgasm and I experienced it myself firsthand when I birthed my son.

But all that applies to NORMAL uncomplicated pregnancies. There are situations in which women are at risk of preterm labour and should avoid intercourse, but in those situations there are other factors at play, abnormalities with their cervix, bleeding concerns, etc.

As for uncomplicated healthy pregnancies, it's fine to play all pregnancy long :D

no, I tried it with my daughter and nothing! a week or 2 later I decided to be induced but lost my plug 24 hours before scheduled induction and went into labor, 8 hours later she arrived

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->