Does the world benefit from having a single superpower?

bluebaby

Wife & mum to a princess
Reaction score
Since the collapse of the soviet union, the united states has been viewed as the single superpower - dominating the world economically, militarily and culturally. Many argue that a single dominant power is not good. Others say that US domination will bring stability and prosperity across the globe.

What do you think?

I thought there was 5-6 superpower countries and we are one of them?

I think the united kingdom, france, germany and russia would like to think they are superpowers along with America but I think America seem to think they are the single super power and we just follow them.

I'm not intelligent enough to know too much about it, but the thought of America ruling the world wouldn't be something i would really be happy about!!

I don't think USA is the only superpower, though they do act like it sometimes. Europe needs to stand up for itself and stop being Americas lapdog

No, I don't really. I mean in some ways I think it's good when it comes to cultural practises that I disagree with but it works both ways and i think USA butts in when they shouldnt sometimes (like the recent lockerby bomber release!).

I have never heard America described as the worlds only superpower. We have a very precarious cluster system for superpower - balancing larger and smaller countries power by dominance. America might think it is the main power in that, but the reactions of 'less powerful' countries all keep the system counterbalanced and are just as important.

Personally, I think the idea of a traditional single superpower is anachronistic.

I have never heard America described as the worlds only superpower. We have a very precarious cluster system for superpower - balancing larger and smaller countries power by dominance. America might think it is the main power in that, but the reactions of 'less powerful' countries all keep the system counterbalanced and are just as important.

Personally, I think the idea of a traditional single superpower is anachronistic.

I agree. I think people think America is the main power because America itself thinks it is! :dohh:

Ditto Drazic and Blah (for a change! lol). If it were the only superpower I think there would be some serious issues and as it is it gets too involved in other people's matters. But it's not the only one and China is going to be a big challenger.

The UK definitely punches above it's weight and I guess always has done, especially given its land size, but we're not as powerful as we'd like to think we our. I think our strengths lie in diplomacy and a sense of respect other countries have for us. I think it's very important for the UK to be friends with the US and the EU in particular but not bow down to them. We have a special role which means our PMs need to be careful about the balance.

On a side note, when I read the title I totally thought you meant superpower like flight, invisibility, weather control... :rofl:

On a side note, when I read the title I totally thought you meant superpower like flight, invisibility, weather control... :rofl:

:haha::haha: My superpower would be to become invisible (thats an idea for a thread)

The rest of the world just lets the USA think they are the only superpower. :rofl:

The rest of the world just lets the USA think they are the only superpower. :rofl:

I don't think America cares what the rest of the world thinks- only what America thinks! lol Not to be, you know, unpatriotic or anything but America is definitely like the guy who has to stop in front of every mirror he passes and flex his biceps. :haha:

I don't think one superpower would be a good idea. Personally I like the fact we have many different countries with different traditions, customs and beliefs. Although I would like to see democracy world wide. As it is is something I believe in freedom of speech etc

As for the UK I think we do have a lot of weight in the world but sometimes I think we may blindly follow america. We do have a good army. But I think our reasoning skills and diplomacy far outweighs that. And having the US as an allie is defianlty an asset

ETA: We treat the USA like a man. Let him think he is right :rofl:
xx

I def. think China is the super power, and that is why my LO is going to Mandarin Bilingual school.

I def. think China is the super power, and that is why my LO is going to Mandarin Bilingual school.

I don't think china is a super power, they may have some nuclear power but not much else. I also think that america is full of their own self importance! At least Britian has a tendency to get on with everyone and is quite tactful.

Well they do have a HUGE population.

They def have a huge population but that doesn't necessarily means that they are a superpower. I don't think they have much say in the world's issues. Maybe it's just me that thinks that :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->