does your baby go through formula quickly?

lbeee84

Reaction score
So I have a question for all you formula moms: I have a three month old and he is exclusively formula fed. On average he will go through a 6-9 oz bottle every hour. And during the day he will not go more than 1 1/2 hrs without having a bottle. So as you might expect we go through cans of formula very quickly...every 5 days or so we need to buy a new tin of Targetssensitive brand formula (This contains 2 lbs worth of formula)...its the biggest tin iv found so far. I was wondering if any of you have gone through this heavy of eating. He has always been a big eater so I don't believe this is necessarily a phase. Is there anything you can give an infant this young to satisfy his hunger? I've tried adding rice cereal in his bottles before but stopped after a few days when I noticed he became extremely fussy and uncomfortable. Also after doing some research I found this can lead to aspiration and infants tummies this young arent able to handle solids yet. I realize all babies are different and will all eat differently...but if anyone has any suggestions I'm definitely open to them. Oh and I live in the US so the "hungry baby" formula isn't available here...or at least in my state. Thank you and I look forward to any suggestions you might have!

Just keep doing what you're doing. If he's hungry, feed him. It's not bad that he eats so much, unless your doctor is concerned. Unfortunately, it is expensive. That's just one of the downsides of using formula. It's quite possible he's having a growth spurt or he might just have a big appetite or being trying to build up his stocks of certain nutrients. There's nothing else you need to do other than to feed him.

If it does start to get a bit expensive, you might look into seeing if you qualify for WIC. They do have a formula program, but obviously you'd have to be eligible. It's a great program though so worth looking into if you think you need it.

How much does he weigh & how many ounces does he drink/day?

My twins go through one can a day and have to have Enfamil AR which has no generic. The doctor was pleased with their growth so they must not be getting too much.

My twins go through one can a day and have to have Enfamil AR which has no generic. The doctor was pleased with their growth so they must not be getting too much.

target has a generic version, its in a salmon colored tub. my baby uses it too. only downside is that it doesnt mix as well as the enfamil

Indigo...I'm not exactly sure how much he weighs now as its been a bit sinc his last doctor visit. But last check up...a month ago...he was over 14 lbs and 24 inches. But he has grown quiet a bit since then. At a little over 3 m/o he fits perfectly in size 9 month clothes and he's almost sized out of size 3 diapers. Hes a big boy to put it mildly....and I know some of his hunger is derived from the fact that he is growing. But like I mentioned in my post he has always been a big eater...to the point where he'd over eat and projectile vomit. But the money isnt necessarily the issue as the target formula is reasonably priced... just want him to feel satisfied with each feeding. And I will feed him as much as he'll take each time...I never deprive him. So any suggestions you have I'm completely open to

Wow!!! I guess I shouldnt complain...that's a whole lot of formula. I can only imagine how pricey that gets! Yikes

target has a generic version, its in a salmon colored tub. my baby uses it too. only downside is that it doesnt mix as well as the enfamil

I totally recommend the target brands...they're cheaper and while I don't get the AR version I find the sensitive version has way less bubbles...compared to the similac and enfamil..when you mix it. I definitely agree with her that you should try it

Are you sure hes hungry and not wanting something else? My dd went through a phase of 7oz every 1.5hrs and it was due to silent reflux, she was in pain but she thought she was hungry. Maybe consult your doctor.

My 6 mo goes through one tin of formula a week or so. Sigh... It is 41 bucks a tin here in NZ since he needs the goat milk one :(

Indigo...I'm not exactly sure how much he weighs now as its been a bit sinc his last doctor visit. But last check up...a month ago...he was over 14 lbs and 24 inches. But he has grown quiet a bit since then. At a little over 3 m/o he fits perfectly in size 9 month clothes and he's almost sized out of size 3 diapers. Hes a big boy to put it mildly....and I know some of his hunger is derived from the fact that he is growing. But like I mentioned in my post he has always been a big eater...to the point where he'd over eat and projectile vomit. But the money isnt necessarily the issue as the target formula is reasonably priced... just want him to feel satisfied with each feeding. And I will feed him as much as he'll take each time...I never deprive him. So any suggestions you have I'm completely open to

You have quite a big baby there, so it's no surprise he would be eating a lot. How many ounces a day does he eat? Do you keep a record of it? I would start if you don't so you have an idea, even if just for a week or two. He is probably bigger than my 6.5 month old. She is just over 17 lbs, fits 3-6/6-9 month clothes and size 3 nappies easily. She's also 65th centile, so an average sized baby. She doesn't ever eat close to what the guidelines say she should (always 'undereats') and has anywhere from 3-8 oz 5-6 times a day (which is about 28 oz a day) and that's not changed as we just recently started solids. But given your LO is bigger and in a critical period of growth and development, it wouldn't be surprising if he eats more. Unless there is a real concern for him being overweight or developing any problems as a result of eating too much (not saying he is!) and if he's truly hungry (sometimes it's easy to mistake hunger for things like tiredness in the early months), then that all sounds fine.

But if he is vomiting routinely after eating, it's a sign he's overeating for a reason. Some babies who have reflux do this. They cry after eating (because reflux hurts) so they get offered more food because they seem hungry and they eat it because eating calms the reflux, at least until they finish again. Might be something to discuss with your doctor if you think that could be the case. My daughter had reflux briefly (a specific brand of formula caused it, she was fine on others) and that's exactly what she did.

This sounds like a huge amount of formula to me. If you are giving 6 oz every hour, just over a 12 hour period would be 72 oz! Even more over a 24 hour period. I think there has got to be something else that is causing your lo to cry, as others have suggested. Could be reflux? Or could just be other cues that you are misreading as hunger? Its pretty hard early on, and feeding is often the easiest way to settle babies, but that seems like a LOT, even given that you have a quick growing baby. I would definitely talk with your doctor, have them look your lo over to see if it could be something wrong like reflux that could be treated. And if that's not the problem, I would be cutting back on the formula and looking for other ways to comfort when baby cries. If it seems like he is getting hunger pains that are causing him to cry for a bottle, it could be that he is gassy not hungry? I would try some exercises to relieve gas pains, like bicycling his legs, pushing legs in toward tummy to help relieve gas pains. How does he sleep during the day? Could it just be tiredness causing him to cry, not hunger? Sorry if I am rambling, I'm just trying to think of other possibilities.

This does sound like a lot of formula. my son is 3 months old. he was about 12 lbs and 24 inches long as his last dr appt a month ago...he eats about 6/7oz every 3 hours or so except at bedtime and his first bottle of the morning he gets 8oz
i'd talk to your ped and see if it is maybe a reflux problem like many mommys have said..i doubt its misreading his cues because if i try and give my son a bottle and thats not what he wants he will push it out of his mouth with his tongue and spit out whatever formula he got in his cheeks lol

otherwise maybe is just ready for some solid foods my friend has a 4 month old and he is a really big boy too and she just started him on a few purees

I'll have to check it out. Everywhere else I've only found the Sensitive ones.

My 5 month old takes 7 oz every 4 hours apart from at night where he sleeps through. That sounds like a hell of a lot of formula to be taking every hour. If I was you i'd be taking him to paeds to be checked out :flower:

Is he projectile vomiting often?

& after he vomits, does he want to feed immediately afterwards?

My son is a big boy, too & he had a massive growth spurt @ around 12 weeks old.

@ 2 months old, he was 12 lbs & 25"

@ 4 months old, he was 17 lbs & 28"

But if you really don't think it's a growth spurt and he is consistently vomiting & never seems satisfied, I would definitely talk to his doctor.

My son was a frequent feeder, but he never had 72 oz in 24 oz & he had relatively smaller quantities than most babies his age.

Does any of this ring true for your LO?

https://m.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/digestive/pyloric_stenosis.html

Weewdy...what did you fo for the silent reflux? Did she just grow out of it? What is it exactly?

I think you all are right...all my co workers who just had babies are breast feeding so I don't have anything to compare with. But I'm going to the dr Tuesday. ..I didn't calculate the intake but 72 oz give or take is an astronomical amount. I'm glad I asked you all...now I know its not normal. Last check up they told me he was in the 50 percentile for wt and 75 for ht. But how when a 3 m/o is in sz six clothes? Again thank you all for the replies and suggestions...I'm gonna try to maybe hold off on feedings and try a different approach

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->