Dog attack on teenage girl

This sort of thing really gets under my skin.

It is so sad to see people using dogs as their way to show that they're tough. And it's sad that staffs, dobermans, rotts, pitbulls, etc always get the blame when it is fully the owners fault. Yes, those breeds may have a disposition to be more aggressive, however the owner can turn that behavior around.

My OH & I take our two dogs to the dog park every day. There are a couple of adorable pitbulls that are the sweetest things. Then, there are a group of men who bring their EIGHT unneutered pitbulls. As soon as they enter they start terrorizing the other dogs & the men urge them on. People like them, need to go to jail.

It is so unfortunate that people will put their animals in front of the safety of others. I know if I had a child & either of my dogs showed one ounce of aggression to the LO, the dog would be long gone. It's sad, and unfortunate, but true.

People just need to realize dogs are there to love & protect you, not show how badass you are.

The lack of training a young dog really bothers me.

Friends of ours decided to get a staffy pup when they were expecting. They didn't bother to train the dog, walk it etc etc. The dog spent most if its day in a muzzle. When baby arrived the dog got shoved in a tiny court yard garden all day because they couldn't control it. They ended up giving the dog up because it went for the baby.

They have now rescued a young rottweiler pup without any knowledge of it's background and again haven't bothered to train the thing. I can see this dog ending up in some rescue center somewhere because they again can't cope.

PP- That's really sad... You can't keep an animal muzzled and in a house all day long. My tiny, loving Jack Russell would probably get aggressive! They are seriously just asking for it....

The shelter my OH & I got our puppies at were VERY crucial. They have a whole interview process, they go to your house to see the living environment, they go into your previous animal ownership, and it takes forever. Even though it is extremely annoying & time consuming, I'm so glad they do it. Shelters & Breeders need to start being more selective instead of just looking for a quick buck.

Although they are animals, they still are very emotional beings. Just like how Hannibal Lecter didn't like a muzzle, neither will your dog :haha: People just need to treat them with the same respect they would treat a human, and if they don't.... they should be punished for it.

Its not the breed. For hundreds of years Staffordshire Bull terriers were family dogs, excellent with children, kind and gentle. Until they became a status symbol for hard knocks and gangs and started to be mistreated. What do you expect a dog who is treated barbarically to do? Labs bite, corgis bite, but you don't hear those stories because those dogs aren't a symbol of "broken Britain" or chav culture. Unlike Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Then theres the issue of inbreeding in order to produce a pure pedigree and mixing with other breeds that are considered strong and status in order to produce a dog that looks terrifying. The problem isn't with the breed or the dog, its with owners who are completely incapable of raising an animal they way they were supposed to be.
I am the owner of a Staff, a female staff who is gentle and loving and i for one am completely sick of being told my dog is a danger. ANY dog is a danger, and if they are treated poorly then thats an expectation.
I agree dog ownership should be more tightly controlled, this would also reduce the numbers in kennels and street strays.
This story is a horrendous tradegy, i feel awful for the girls family but to be quite frank it is the owners i am sickend with, not the dog. The owners should be trialed for this girls murder for nuturing a set of dogs to this extent of aggression.
Please don't write off an adored breed of dog based on what the papers say, any PROPER staffy owner will say exactly the same.
And having seen photos of the dogs in question, i am not convinced they are pure staffys anyway.

I think they should bring back dog licences and also that breeders have to register where puppies go. Its horrible what happened. When i volunteered at a dog rescue it was mostly greyhounds dumped when their owners could no longer race them. We are saving up for a cavellier king charles spaniel. Some people dont deserve to own dogs

I think they should bring back dog licences and also that breeders have to register where puppies go. Its horrible what happened. When i volunteered at a dog rescue it was mostly greyhounds dumped when their owners could no longer race them. We are saving up for a cavellier king charles spaniel. Some people dont deserve to own dogs

Ot but I love greyhounds they are so gentle

I love them to. I wouldent be able to have one due to have 2 cats and a rabbit

It drives me insane when people blame the breed of a dog. ANY dog is capable of doing this if brought up badly.

I just don't know how things can be enforced to prevent this happening. :(

It drives me insane when people blame the breed of a dog. ANY dog is capable of doing this if brought up badly.

I just don't know how things can be enforced to prevent this happening. :(

SO true. Dogs are animals. We can't expect them to "be responsible", they behave according to instinct. If they're not trained properly, they're going to act like wild animals. When someone adopts/buys a dog, it is their responsibility to train the dog.

I have not read the whole thread,not getting into the breed debate.
Absolutely heartbreaking! I read about it today in the Metro.....although they stated she was "at an £80 000 house" how is that relevant?

Absolutely heartbreaking! I read about it today in the Metro.....although they stated she was "at an £80 000 house" how is that relevant?

When I saw the thread I was sure it would end up the usual way, in a heated debate that ended up getting closed down but (strangely or reassuringly?) everyone seems to be in happy agreement!

Not sure why they mentioned the house price other than to maybe clarify the point that the owners had no right having 5 dogs living together in such cramped circumstances.

My ex boyfriends sister had a staffy and he was the most ADORABLE dog I have every met. He was so lovely. We used to love going round there to see him and take him for walks. He was just brought up right.

It's a shame really, any dog can be lovely if the owners brought them up right.

When I saw the thread I was sure it would end up the usual way, in a heated debate that ended up getting closed down but (strangely or reassuringly?) everyone seems to be in happy agreement!

Not sure why they mentioned the house price other than to maybe clarify the point that the owners had no right having 5 dogs living together in such cramped circumstances.

I know! It's great! Not that I don't love a good debate, but still :flower:

I know! It's great! Not that I don't love a good debate, but still :flower:

I have to say, I hate the debates. No one is ever interested in anyone elses opinion and only want to make their point heard lol. No one is ever going to change their opinion on the things that are debated on here so I just don't see the point lol!

Poor poor girl. I was going to post a thread about this last night but decided against it. This poor girl only lived about 15mins or so from me. Its awful. Absolutely heartbreaking. I cannot even imagine what her parents and family are going through. And it is horrific to think what Jade had to endure. Im glad the police were prompt in shooting the dogs. The owner should be ashamed of herself. Apparently she has done a runner anyway, not sure how true that is though.

I really feel for this little girl, no child should be left alone with a dog, regardless of its breed.

I have a Staffie, and he is the kindest, most beautiful dog ever. He is affectionate and just amazing. He loves our newborn baby and is quite protective over her, he checks on her when she cried and checks on her when we hold her. He is loving, warm and friendly. He wants to be everyone's friend and wants to join in the activities. He is my OH's best friend, companion and he is very loyal.

It is the owner, not the dog.
xoxox

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...bulls-yard-mom-grandparents-slept-inside.html

Once again it's these types of dogs. It's just tragic. These types of dogs and children should not be in the same house

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...bulls-yard-mom-grandparents-slept-inside.html

Once again it's these types of dogs. It's just tragic. These types of dogs and children should not be in the same house

Not 7 of them, no.

Not 7 of them no. But for every pit bull that makes the papers for attacks, there are thousands that live very peacefully with children. Owner, not the dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->