Dog attack on teenage girl

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...bulls-yard-mom-grandparents-slept-inside.html

Once again it's these types of dogs. It's just tragic. These types of dogs and children should not be in the same house

7 is a ridiculous amount to have, surely 7 of any dog is asking for trouble?!

We have a 4 year old staffie and he is the most affectionate thing iv ever seen. Wants to be everybody's best friend. He loves our 3year old and will happily follow him around all day. Although I discourage it Lucas rolls around the floor with the dog pulling at his ears and the dog has never so much as growled at him, if he gets fed up he just takes himself off elsewhere!

The child that was mauled by 7 dogs was actually in a house that had 9 dogs, but only 7 were involved in the attack. Crazy :wacko: xx

9 dogs? That's a prime example of irresponsible ownership. If you insist on having a pack, you should expect them to act like a pack. They will have been fighting over food and attention their whole lives.

It really annoys me that these dogs have become status dogs and 'protection'.

Some stupid woman had her staffy off the lead whilst walking past my house once, I was stood at the front door talking to my sister when the dog saw my cat and ran straight in my house and chased the cat around. I ran after them to find the dog had pinned my cat to the bathroom floor, I had to drag this dog off my cat whilst the stupid owner stood at my front door wondering what to do!

I dread to think what would have happened had there have been a baby in the house playing on the floor. Ridiculous!

I must admit of my dog were offlead (terrier cross) and saw a cat she too would chase it. She learnt a while ago if she runs at cats some will run and she thinks its a great game (i obviously don't). She has grown up with cats and regularly gets beaten by mine. She likes to run/chase and will do it with everything that runs, and that includes my pet chickens. For that reason she is let off lead in certain areas where she can't chase people's pets. If you are going to have an animal that chases you need to know what to do to stop it!

As for some of the comments, I havent read the whole thread yet so bare with me!

It does frustrate me when people say "these types of dogs". I do believe in deed not breed. I have also found the most aggressive type of dogs we have come across are little fluffies as most people round here seem to think small cute dogs don't need to be trained. I also think people don't realise different breeds have different play types and staffies can be quite mouthy, but then so can breeds such as huskies and alaskan malamutes. For example collie's are quite nippy and not that great around kids as they can try to 'herd' them.

The fact that the owner was scared of the dogs is obviously not great and she obviously let them have a pack mentality and she wasn't the boss (I dont believe in the alpha roll either, you dont need to do that for your dog to respect you). I do think that we need to be careful about the whole prosecution thing. I realise that this is not a usual case but I do think a lot of people/kids tease a dog and then get bitten and want to blame someone.

When I was younger and someone got bitten the first comment was usually "what did you do to the dog". I have a very soppy dog and we have to constantly watch her when she's with the neighbours kids - for her benefit as they are horrible to her (kicked her in the stomach once). They have a GSD puppy and they let the toddler bite him - how he hasn't bitten back yet I don't know. I have also had them hang over the fence (on their trampoline) tormenting my dog (until I have told them off) so I can see how previous cases of 'dog attack' have happened too. I am quite lucky my neighbour is ok with me telling her kids off, a lot of people won't hear of their "little angels" doing anything wrong these days.

yes they are being used as status dog (although I believe the "pack leader" in this instance wasn't one of the staffs) and this is a human thing. Years ago it used to be rotties and dobermans. Whilst I like the idea of licensing it will be the decent owners doing this. Those who dont bother won't care about losing their dog - they'll just get another.

I think in the UK we need a dedicated section of each police force that deals with animals, from reported cruelty (it should not be the job of the RSPCA, they should be rescuing) to instances like this.

Animals are becoming too throw away in this society and this is how it can go wrong. Absolutely in this case I think something needs to be done but I also think that we need to be careful being too extreme and we do need to start taking responsibility for how we and our children act around animals.

I'm a punish the deed not the breed person, we had a rottie growing up who was a wonderful dog who wouldn't even growl at you let alone bite, my cousin has a pitbull who is the softest dog I've ever met, my thoughts are with the families involved in the attacks. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->