• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dog more aggressive after neutering?

jenny82

Reaction score
We had our dog neutered about 3 weeks ago. We also moved around that time too. He was great for a while there but now he's a total nightmare. He is constantly trying to steal food, and not just the usual stuff dogs go for - last night he was trying to get the risotto and this morning, porridge! - things he wouldn't never have gone near.

He is constantly poking at the baby for her food and if I try to get him out of the kitchen, he gets so snarly. I thought he was going to bite me this morning :dohh: this is obviously not good around the kids so my OH says we may have to re-home him.

He gets walked and now he has a garden to run about in. Like I say, since we moved he was great, I was so proud of him. But now this aggressiveness is bothering me a lot. What is happening?

It can take a good few months for hormones to die down after neutering. You may just be seeing a last ditch attempt at bein manly lol! The stealing is maybe just for attention, ignore it if you possibly can. The move could be confusing him too and he's not sure of his place in the hierarchy in this strange environment, I don't think you should rehome, he might settle soon.

Thanks. I will keep working with him. This last week has been crazy in our house for various reasons and I couldn't be here, so my mum has and he's been locked in the utility room during the day (but can get outside ok, just he has had little company). Luckily that all ended today, so I am back to normal. Hopefully this improves his behaviour.

Our dog was calmer! i was told or read somewhere to get them done as soon as you can - the earlier the better otherwise it can be more difficult x

Thanks. I will keep working with him. This last week has been crazy in our house for various reasons and I couldn't be here, so my mum has and he's been locked in the utility room during the day (but can get outside ok, just he has had little company). Luckily that all ended today, so I am back to normal. Hopefully this improves his behaviour.

My dogs are far better behaved when they've been walked,even just half an hour. When they are cooped up they start to go stir crazy and look for naughty things to do! Now that things have settled down a bit and his walks and things have got back to normal you should see a change. They are also mad if they haven't had much company, they fight for my attention too. I'm having problems now that lo is on her feet she won't leave them alone! Revenge is sweet!

It can take a good few months for hormones to die down after neutering. You may just be seeing a last ditch attempt at bein manly lol! The stealing is maybe just for attention, ignore it if you possibly can. The move could be confusing him too and he's not sure of his place in the hierarchy in this strange environment, I don't think you should rehome, he might settle soon.

Completely agree with this.

My male kitty was the same but he soon calmed down.

I had my bitch done on Monday and already her personality is changing. She's a lot more excitable but that might be because she's been locked inside for a few days. She isn't going to like being kept on her lead when outside for the next ten days either. She likes to run and pulls on her lead. She's so strong.

The trauma of having his man parts cut away and then moving home might just be causing him to rebel for a while. Top that with his racing hormone surge whilst they leave his system and you've got one crazy dog. Ignore his bad behaviour and reward the good. It might encourage him to calm down quicker.

I don't know if its true or not but i have heard that dogs can get a bit like that after being done but bitches tend to stay the same. This is one reason we went for a girl. She was done just before her 1st season started and directly afterwards she was a lot calmer. Once she'd got over the initial annoyance at being spayed she perked up and was her usual mad self but never aggressive. I would keep an eye on him for a little while before considering re-homing.

It can take upto 6 months for the neutering to fully come into effect.

In fairness to your dog I'd be pretty pissed if someone chopped ny nads off :haha:

Hope he settles soon xx

we got our neutered a few weeks after bubba was born (dog was 3yrs old) and he deff seemed more aggressive the his usual for a few weeks but after about 2 months he completly calmed down...now he like a fat hormonal lady....bless him.

Might sound daft, is he up to date on worming treatment? This could cause the behavioural change towards food x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->