Dog owners?

Mummy2B21

Mum of Two
Reaction score
If you have young children would you recommened your breed of dog to other family's looking for a new dog?

Later in the year i will be looking into getting us a family dog but i wouuld like a breed that is quite family friendly not too hyper, My favourite dogs are rottweiler's but i wouldnt get one till kids are older.

Im thinking maybe a pug, bulldog, staff or labrador (maybe)

What breed dog do you have?

We currently have 2 German Shephereds ones 3 this year and the other is around 6months (daughter of older dog)

Have always had staffordshire bull terriers. Personally I wouldnt have any other breed. x

german Shephards & labs are the softest cuddliest things ever!! my family had both while i was young & i loved them both..
they are big dogs obviously & will need a fair bit of exercise..

My Staffordshire Bull Terrier is amazing with kids, she is the biggest softy ever!

Any dog cannturn and become nasty regardless of breed. Ive had loads of rotties that were soft as s*** and then horrible labs. We use to rescue dogs

As long as the dog is rasied correctly it doesnt matter what breed it is

I've got one Heinz57varieties and one retired greyhound... if anything the greyhound's more manic and more likely to require situations managing (not typical of the breed) - but I know she'll stand there patiently while kids fuss over her, so in that respect I'm not worried - she just regards anything soft, white and fluffy as HERS - ALL HERS so we have a minor difference of opinion on things!

Just make sure you have somewhere you can let your dog offlead as no matter how many walks we could give roxy on lead in a day she still needs a good run as will most dogs as long as they have a good recall. Our locl trust has a cow field which when the cows are not in there (not seen any in there for years lol) you are allowed your dogs off lead

weve got a spanish water dog and hes brilliant. But as someone else said, I think its all about how the dog is raised and trained. As long as you are pack leader then the dog should be under control.

i have a 7 month old german shepherd. these dogs are brilliant family dogs but are HARDwork and need loads of exercise and moult non stop. lesley ann can i pick yr brains?? are yr gsds stubborn? i am having serious issues with mine, she is fine for hubby but a nightmare for me im expecting twins prob identical which come with higher risks, and im currently on the sick with bad pains in tummy. i have a 5 yr old and hubby works long hours. i feel like i dont have the time that i did have for her and hubby "promises" hell do more but doesnt always put out. how long would you say she needs to be walked for a day? i adore her she is gorgeous but is very hard work for me. the vet said she has no respect for me and said she treats me like another bitch in the litter. she jumps all over me, ignores anything i ask, and protests poos and pees right in front of me no matter how much i let her out, she is fully toilet trained, has bn since young. she does not do this for my hubby. people have siad i need to put in more effort with her but thats my point im not physically able to as she has me in agony. i thought males were more disobediant. dont let this put anyone off gsds but from our experience they need a lot of attention and hard work.

i have a 7 month old german shepherd. these dogs are brilliant family dogs but are HARDwork and need loads of exercise and moult non stop. lesley ann can i pick yr brains?? are yr gsds stubborn? i am having serious issues with mine, she is fine for hubby but a nightmare for me im expecting twins prob identical which come with higher risks, and im currently on the sick with bad pains in tummy. i have a 5 yr old and hubby works long hours. i feel like i dont have the time that i did have for her and hubby "promises" hell do more but doesnt always put out. how long would you say she needs to be walked for a day? i adore her she is gorgeous but is very hard work for me. the vet said she has no respect for me and said she treats me like another bitch in the litter. she jumps all over me, ignores anything i ask, and protests poos and pees right in front of me no matter how much i let her out, she is fully toilet trained, has bn since young. she does not do this for my hubby. people have siad i need to put in more effort with her but thats my point im not physically able to as she has me in agony. i thought males were more disobediant. dont let this put anyone off gsds but from our experience they need a lot of attention and hard work.

They can be but they know who is "boss" so to speak, we try for 2hours everyday and on weekends and wednesday we do a 3hour walk off lead though lakes etc It would appear that she see's her self above you I have just let my mum read this who also has had/has GSD's and she said the exact same thing. Who feeds her? me and Oh make sure we both feed the dogs so that they see its us as a couple not just one of us who is "higher" up.

Also you say she goes to the toilet infront of you is this after she has whined or just because? Does she have a crate for her space?

I would say you need to be more assertive, Oh does all the walks (I handle the kids on the walks lol) but Im the one who calls them back in so it is always a joint effort.

Our yongest bitch is pushing her limits at the moment but Roxy know sthe order is;

1; Me
2; Oh
3; Kyle
4; Lexi
5; Her
6; Skye

however Skye keeps trying to see it as

1; Me
2; Oh
3; Her
4; Roxy
5; Kyle
6; Lexi

She may also be reacting to your hormones if it only started once you became pregnant, 7months old can still be a very testing time. If she jumps at you just walk away and ignor her, if she pee's or poo's dont let her see you clean it up, but then when she does go outside and you see it make a fuss of her.

Our biggest problem at the moment is our roxy has started barking loads since we moved but that is slowly getting better by ignoring her barks and going to her when she is quite

:hugs:

I have an American Bulldog and he is so soft he loves his cuddles and likes to be around everyone.

He only gets upset when someone comes the house who he dosnt know then he will bark!

but he is an amazing doggy he loves my little niece he likes to watch her when she is having her bum changed and cried when she cries its soo sweet. We have trained him more and he knows where is allowed in the house and not!

he classes hubby as the man of the house but knows that if i say no it means no lol
xx

I take my dog for a 3-6mile walk offload every day. It makes such a difference and none of my dogs have had any behaviour issues x

That is why I like staffies though because they are quite happy to not be the boss of the pack x

we both feed her hubby on a morning me on a night. she will wait patiently for food from me and will do as i ask providing i have a treat otherwise she just refuses. she definatley thinks shes above me, and weve had this issue with her from being small. she used to nip me and my son and jumps on him too. ive tried the turning away from her, but she gettin so big she knocks me over. i dont think hubby is walking her long enough and its causing many arguments between us. i thik she is reacting to me as we were joined at the hip but now she prefers my hubby. as soon a she left for work yesterday she started jumping on top of me on the sofa while i was trying to rest. i honestly think if she had fingers shed be sticking two up at me. i am firm with her but hubby says its my nursery nurse voice!! we do dog school, training at home, hugs and love, their such beautiful dogs and she melts me with her eyes. maybe this is my problem. maybe she knows she can melt me.

It might well be that, dogs are smarter than we most of the time give them credit for just like children and will/can play you very well. All I can say really then is keep trying and try to get him to walk her longer as you cannot do it. We never treat trained as then you have to train off the treats aswell lol

Just keep being the boss and ignoring her bad behavouir, praise the good and she should get it but in her life at only 7months old, she has

1; left her mum and litter mates
2; moved into a new house which has a toddler
3; Mummy owner is now also pregnant and letting of a vibe so to speak

so all of that while she is in her most learning stage

Our oldest is great when she had her litter we was all allowed to pick the pups upstraight away even kyle but shes always been very chilled out about stuff.

Oh wants a protection GSD next as he might need it for work so that will be a new experience for me training a dog who is to be trained to attack eek!

yeh alot of people assume gsds are like that in general. pippa is so soft. she barks then hides behind us. they are big softies really. wish id never started with the treats thing. thanks for yr advice.

My dog is very protective of me, but we dont train her to be like that although she has turnt into a great guard dog!

If you have young children would you recommened your breed of dog to other family's looking for a new dog?

Later in the year i will be looking into getting us a family dog but i wouuld like a breed that is quite family friendly not too hyper, My favourite dogs are rottweiler's but i wouldnt get one till kids are older.

Im thinking maybe a pug, bulldog, staff or labrador..

What breed dog do you have?

I have a lab! Great dog around children and cautious of strange adults. Perfect for families! Make sure you introduce the puppy to all sorts of poking and noises like a child would do and also introduce them to the people who will be coming around often so they will not be protective when they are around.

we have an english bulldog and she loves her cuddles and is great around children.. but she is VERY hyper (shes 6 months), she always jumps up, runs around and she is very strong (* heavy :haha:)
but i wouldnt have it any other way, aslong as we walk her daily shes usually very sleepy with a half hour 'hyper mad dash' around the living room!

Out of your list I would NOT get a pug... My sister has 2 and their so boisterous and don't listen which is common in the breed apparently their VERY VERY hard to train.. they knock my little one flying every time we go round there so I don't let her on the floor when their out anymore. They are the most annoying dog I've ever met. I've got a yorkie x shih tzu and shes brilliant but don't think thats the kind of dog u want lol. I would personally go for a labrador or staff out of ur list as bulldogs are also hard to train as my aunt lives for her bulldogs and says they don't mature til their 2 and can be very destructive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->