Don't know what to do with my dogs =(

Mummyxofx2

Reaction score
I have 2 Rottweilers a 3 year old male an a almost 1 year old female. Since my female got Desexed my boy started jumping the fence out if the blue. In his 3 years of life he has never done it not once until now. We fixed the fence and made it higher so he can't jump it but now both him and my girl are chewing through the fence to get through it. As soon as we fix one spot they chew through another one. Every day I need to go and get them from the streets. I have had enough I can't physically do it anymore. I could rehome my girl but my boy is a one family dog and is a guard dog so I wouldn't trust him to go to another family. I'm at a loss I really don't know what to do =(

He is fixed. They both are. He was fixed at 6 months old =( he has been through training and had psyc evaluations. They are walked every day and me and the kids play with them most days

Supervise them while they're in the garden? Or give the, something tasty to chew on to keep the, occupied? We used to freeze kongs fr its and it kept them busy for hours!

What about electric fencing? It usually isn't that expensive, and just put it on the interior of the fence line. The only other option I see is just to supervise them whenever they are outside.

They are outside dogs during the day due to my boy not being very social with strangers they have lots of toys and have tried the kong but seriously I think they have metal teeth they chew through anything

I'm going to look ino the electric fencing but will it hurt them? And does that only stop them jumping cause ATM they can't jump
It but they are chewing through it.

The kind we have, the company trained our dog on it. The fence is a wire that is actually buried along the perimeter, and they set up flags along the line to give the dog a visual barrier. When the dog gets close, her collar vibrates. When she got right in it, she got a shock. One shock in training was all it took, and 7 years later she still stays in the yard.

We got ours simply because a fence on our property is impossible. I know of a lot of other people that do have physical fencing, like you do, but have a dog that will jump it. Those people seem to have good success with the electric fencing to prevent jumping.

Well try a shock collar.Follow them for a while..when you see they are into it shock them!
After one or two times they won't do that anymore.

watch the dog whisperer, that guy knows everything!! you can also look up info on specific problems on his webpage I believe

i have 5dogs in total, 3 rotti's and 2 huntaways...and ive had the same problem ,with my male rotti he finds anyway possible to sneak out...its taken numerous attemps at fencing and blocking the exit points...only since we built a dog run has it stopped and i also went right around the fence line with deer fence wire so the cant push thru or chew thru it (being metal)...my dog run i just got a cage about 2m x 2m x 3m and put some wooden pallets on the bottom so they couldnt dig out..and tied a tarp on the top to protect from rain and also to stop them trying to climb out..

i used to tie them up but the either snapped the lead, or dug way to much...i also stock up on bones for them every week so they have something to keep them occupied.

hope you can work something out..

Well the electric fences here are in excess of $300 and I just spent $200 on fence extensions. I might have to look into a dog run and see how much they are. Thanks for the info Hun

Where do you live? I'm in the US and they sell them at Walmart

I'm in Australia we don't have Walmart =( I think the pet shops have them but in the hundreds

I'm sorry but it really peeves me when people 're-home' their pets. What usually happens is these poor dogs bounce from home to home and are not well cared for. Unfortunately there are people who take in free pets but do not look after them.

Have you tried installing a colourbond fence which is a metal?

Sorry again for the rant but it does really peeve me. I have 2 12 month old puppies and a baby due any day now and there is no way I would consider re-homing them because it's too hard.

I'm sorry but it really peeves me when people 're-home' their pets. What usually happens is these poor dogs bounce from home to home and are not well cared for. Unfortunately there are people who take in free pets but do not look after them.

Have you tried installing a colourbond fence which is a metal?

Sorry again for the rant but it does really peeve me. I have 2 12 month old puppies and a baby due any day now and there is no way I would consider re-homing them because it's too hard.

I really don't want to rehome my dogs but if the dog catcher sees them they will put them down. Around here no dog is to be seen on the street without a lead and if they are they are taken and put down. We don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a colourbond fence it would cost us roughly $6000.

I can't physically chase them when they get out due to spd so one of these days my babies will be caught by the nasty dog catcher and put down. What would
You prefer to see?

Have you looked on eBay?
Just had a quick look then and big enough ones are in excess of $1000.

I don't trust our pups outside on their own as the gates on the sides of our houses are picket fences so I keep them inside when I'm out. We've only just moved into the house and have a lot of things to do, so the colorbond isn't happening overnight for us either.

Are your dogs able to spend more time indoors and perhaps tether the escape artist when he is outside?

They both escape now. My boy stopped as he was the climbing/jumping culprit now my girl is the chewer that is chewing through our fence. I have chained them and my boy broke the chain. I can't have them inside while we not there cause they are very destructive an chew everything. I hve seriously tried everything under our budget =( I really don't wan to te home them. They are my babies but I can't physically chase after them anymore my daughter has to help me and then I have to wait until 5pm for my partner to come home to fix the fence everyday. I'm so scared the nasty dog catcher is going to get them =( I'm going to try and save for a dog run but its hard with a baby due in 9 and abit weeks and 2 other kiddies. I am like you and hate seeing people rehome their dogs but now I understand that sometimes it has to be done as there is no other option

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->