Doppler, heartbeat in two places at once?

squirrel.

Happy mummy of three
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Asking experienced doppler-users for some advice. I was just using my doppler and was surprised to find the baby's heartbeat in two different places. One time I found it way off to the left of my uterus and the other time just off center on the right hand side. I don't think the baby moved, because I moved between the two spots several times and there was silence in between. I wasn't angling the doppler inwards either time, just straight down both times. I don't have a great doppler, so it doesn't have a moniotr to show heart rate, but both heart rates sounded pretty similar. I don't think I'm having twins, as I had a scan at 6+6 and they only saw one (though to me the sac looked massive and boomerang-shaped, so I wondered at the time why it was such a funny shape with the baby curled up in one side) - I know it's possible to miss a twin, but I don't think that happened to me. I'm just wondering how it's possible to hear baby in two different places when I'm only 11 weeks and baby is still really small. I'm pretty slim, would that have something to do with it? I was also surprised by high up the heartbeat was - at 8+5 I heard the heartbeat at my hairline and angling the doppler down, now I had it half way up to my belly button. I'm not worried, or tricking myself into thinking there are two in there :) I'm just curious!

On a side note, I think I just felt the first possible flutter. I'm not sure, could have been gas, but as I listened with the doppler I heard a kick on the doppler and felt something at the same time. Possible or wishful thinking?

Thanks ladies!

x

The placenta also has it's own pulse so it's possible that on one side you'd be picking up baby and on the other side the placenta!

Just had a thought, could one of the sounds have been the placenta? Would that pulse at a similar rate to the baby? Both rates were very quick - I've measured in the past by counting beats in a ten second time and the baby's heart beat is usually around 180.

x

Hi Linz,

Thanks for that, I came to the same conclusion at the same time it seemed :)
I'm sure it's just that. I feel a bit melodramatic now :blush:

x

Yeah it is more than Likly the placenta, my placenta I could detect on the left and it sounded like a (whooshing sound) and the baby's hb sounded like galloping horses. But that was when I was 14 weeks+ With ds so it might sound different so early ;/) xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->