• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doppler: to buy or not to buy

LoveCakes

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Doppler. I had some bleeding at the weekend and seeing the heartbeat on the scan was such a reassurance. I do worry though if I wasn't using it right it would only make me worry more.

Any advice/ opinions?

Hiyaaa,
I brought a Doppler when I was 7 weeks. I couldn't find a HB until 12 weeks. I didn't worry though because midwifes here don't even check for HB on Doppler till around 16 weeks because it can just be too early. When I found it though it did make me a lot more relaxed and I used it all the time up until I could feel movement. They are really good for reassurance. If you get one id wait a few more weeks just so you don't worry yourself if its too early. Also theres a lot of videos on youtube so you know where to look and what to look for :thumbup:

I bought a Doppler at the start of 9 weeks and couldn't find anything.
I worried myself silly and booked a private scan. Turns out baby was fine but I have a tilted uterus.

I found the baby bang on 12 weeks though and listen to it every day :thumbup:

If you keep in mind that some people don't find it until 16 weeks and be calm about it, I would recommend it. It's such a wonderful reassurance.

But it did make me panic at first because I expected to hear it earlier.

As you'll see I've asked the same question in the August babies thread. I've never used one before and know that if I can't find anything I'll freak out especially with my waning symptoms but my scan isn't for nearly 3 weeks! I really don't know what to do.

I bought one at 11 weeks and at 16 weeks still couldn't find the heartbeat. I managed to stay rational and tell myself all the reasons I probably couldn't find it (belly fat, baby still being low, my impatience!). Now I find it in seconds and I definitely don't regret buying it. Strangely, I don't feel obsessed and get the need to use it all the time. But once a week, especially if you haven't had a scan for a while.. it's nice to have it there just to check! If you can stop yourself going crazy, I'd definitely say buy one! x

I just rented one from my local medical supply store!

I had bleeding starting at 5 weeks (subchorionic hemorrhage). So I was FREAKED out beyond belief. I've had 4-5 moderately large bleeds, the last one being on Christmas eve. And if it wasn't for my doppler, I would have one: gone totally looney toons and lost my mind in fear and two: spent a crap load of money running to the doctor to pay for a scan to check on baby.

So... $53 was very worth it for me. :D I got the sonoline b with the 3mhz wand and use aloe vera gel instead of ultrasound gel. I started trying to find the HB during week 7. :blush: But finally found it at 8w5d after 45 mins of searching. :D

Thanks everyone. I've have more red bleeding again for no reason so feel it would stop me wanting to keep going to the hospital.

I've a consultant appointment next week so will see what comes out of that.

I have used a home doppler for this pregnancy and my last. I found it to be a total sanity saver!!! I worry all the time because of a previous MMC. I was able to find both babies at 9 weeks and it was amazingly reassuring. I saw, hands down, go for it!!! Best $50 I've ever spent pregnancy related! I really can't say enough good things about using one

I had bleeding starting at 5 weeks (subchorionic hemorrhage). So I was FREAKED out beyond belief. I've had 4-5 moderately large bleeds, the last one being on Christmas eve. And if it wasn't for my doppler, I would have one: gone totally looney toons and lost my mind in fear and two: spent a crap load of money running to the doctor to pay for a scan to check on baby.

So... $53 was very worth it for me. :D I got the sonoline b with the 3mhz wand and use aloe vera gel instead of ultrasound gel. I started trying to find the HB during week 7. :blush: But finally found it at 8w5d after 45 mins of searching. :D

This is my story exactly. I've had heavy bleeding and need reassurance. I see that new and used ones go on ebay for ~ $50 so I got one for just over $50 and then I'll sell it once I'm done having babies (not for a few more years lol). I have a friend who lives 2 blocks away so when it comes in the mail we'll both be around 10 weeks and will have a Doppler session together and compare heartbeats. Hopefully we can find them at that point but no stress if not.

^^Bleeding is so scary. And no matter how many times the doctor says, "well, things look good". It doesn't get any easier when you stand up and gush, or go to the bathroom and see blood. Its terrifying. And the doppler saved my sanity!

I have had a small amount of bleeding from the start. I paid for a private scan at 8+3 and everything was great! The very next evening I had the dreaded bleeding again. To rest my mind I bought a sonoline B. It arrived at 9+3 and it took ages to pick up heartbeat. Today at 10 weeks I found heartbeat straight away! Just dont panic if you can't find it first off! x

I used it loads with my first pregnancy when as others have said I had some bleeding issues and found it a sanity saver. This time round I have used it twice I think! Probably lots of reasons, no bleeding, feeling movements much earlier next time round etc. but I do agree with the other girls that it can be so reassuring BUT if you can't find it don't panic, that's the hard bit! Good luck, I do hope your bleeding settles down. There is nothing worse and lots of us here know how scary it is. Xxx

Thank you so much, it's good to hear other people's opinions and that I'm not alone in this plus stories with good outcomes. I'm 10+4 so have a better chance of hearing.

Though the drs have been fab and scanned me each time I feel if I could hear the heartbeat it would meant less trips sitting for 4 hours in a&e with my nerves shot to pieces.

I feel like the dr will say no but I'm going to ask anyway.

Also I meant to say what one did you have?

There's an angel sounds one in Argos for £20 but I don't mind spending a bit more to get a better quality one.

I have the Sonoline B... cost about $50 in the states and I LOVE it!

Sonoline b. they're known to be good earlier on. I got mine from amazon :thumbup:

I bought the angelcare Doppler for $40 on amazon. and found his hb at 10 weeks.. I was constantly nervous I'd lose my baby and just hearing his heartbeat made it easier to sleep at night. I stopped finding his heartbeat around 20 weeks but I could hear him moving so that gave me peace of mind until I could feel him move.

Definitely suggest buying one but remember you won't always find the heartbeat so soon, I could never find him myself my husband always had to and even then it took half an hour or more to find him. Sometimes in the early weeks we wouldn't find him all day but I knew he was still teeny tiny so I tried not to worry.

I'm going to go against the grain and say don't get one. If something is worrying you def go get yourself checked out, no matter how many times it is.

If you google it there is at least one case where someone stopped feeling movements, but found a heartbeat so didn't worry. It was actually their own heartbeat, and the baby had gone.
I get it totally though, pregnancy is so stressful, but it won't end. When the baby is born, you will worry if they are breathing constantly, then you worry about the next thing. At some point you just have to deal with it.

I have the sonoline b with the 3mhz wand.

Best ~$53 I've spend on this pregnancy so far. lol Total sanity saver.

And yes, if you get one and still find at times something isn't right, then go in. I had sooo much spotting and bleeding and cramping that after the 5th ultrasound before 14w, I was unfortunately getting used to it all. Every time I was told that the baby looked great, and I'm just bleeding. :shrug: That's why I felt comfortable not rushing in to get a scan each and every time I spotted/bled. I sure ran to the doctor the first few times though. Twice in three days in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->