Do's and Don'ts - Are you more conscious of them?

Lumboo

A proud Mummy
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I had a mmc in December (my second mc, the first was before I had my son), and just found out at the weekend that I am pregnant. I am finding myself a bit more paranoid about what I can/cannot have/do. A few examples being;

Can I continue to go to the salon to get my hair coloured?
Can I take paracetamol for the cramping/backpain?
Can I have raspberry fruit tea?
Should I go for a massage that is booked in later Feb?

I feel a bit more cautious now about loads of things, even though I know the mc was not caused by anything I did or didn't do.

Is anyone else far more paranoid than before, and does anyone know the answers to the questions above?

Can I continue to go to the salon to get my hair coloured? yes you can, it's not the colouring itself that is possibly harmful, it's the product's gasses, the smell... in the old days they used too much chemical stuff, now you can opt for biological products that aren't harmful.
that is what i've always understood anyway, i don't colour my hair, but if i did, i wouldn't stop.
Can I take paracetamol for the cramping/backpain? yes, it's iboprofen you should avoid
and don't take more than allowed, as little as possible is best
Can I have raspberry fruit tea? why not? does that have caffeine? if so, then just don't overdo it
Should I go for a massage that is booked in later Feb? if you can still lay on your belly in a comfy way, sure you can

i will admit i'm not overly concerned about the do's and don'ts.
i just obey a few basic rules, give raw fruit and veggies a good wash,
all meat well cooked, no raw or smoked seafood, no raw eggs... the end.

Hi Ladies,

I had a mmc in December (my second mc, the first was before I had my son), and just found out at the weekend that I am pregnant. I am finding myself a bit more paranoid about what I can/cannot have/do. A few examples being;

Can I continue to go to the salon to get my hair coloured?
Can I take paracetamol for the cramping/backpain?
Can I have raspberry fruit tea?
Should I go for a massage that is booked in later Feb?

I feel a bit more cautious now about loads of things, even though I know the mc was not caused by anything I did or didn't do.

Is anyone else far more paranoid than before, and does anyone know the answers to the questions above?

I was told to avoid certain hair colourants that have some chemical or other in them. I can't remember what it was, tbh, it was something they just referred to by initials. And to avoid bleaching until at least second tri. I have coloured my hair with a vegetable-based dye (Manic Panic) and I just avoided my scalp for extra safety. If you let your hairdresser know you're pregnant, they should know what to avoid.

Paracetamol is fine, just stick with the dosage and no more.

Raspberry fruit tea, I don't know. I assume it's okay. It's raspberry leaf tea to avoid, since it does something to do with contracting the uterus (they encourage it in the last week or two of pregnancy for encouraging strong contractions and an easy labour).

Massage, I'd ring the place that you're going to and check with them. They may have a policy about it, and I guess it would depend on the type of massage. Also tell the masseur/masseuse before they start, just in case it has any impact on what they do.

I dont worry any more!

I went through 7 pregnancies doing everything by the book they all went wrong Iam now 14 weeks with number 8 I m careful i don't do anything stupid but I am determined to enjoy this pregnancy as much as possible!

I was quite carefree when I was pregnant with my son, which was 6 months after my first mc (carefree, but not careless if you see what I mean), as I just felt it is something you have no control over really.

I am just really excited to be pregnant again, so I guess just don't want to overdo things like I have a habit of doing - the questions above are all things that other people have told me I should not do, but things I am sure I wasn't aware of when pregnant with my son. (except for dying my hair, which I never did before)

Thanks for your advice Xxx

I was told to avoid hair coloring that has ammonia in it, but that most hair coloring has none now.

My OB/GYN's specific answer to that same question made me laugh. (having been dying my hair for 5 years and having 2 m/c's in that time period, w/ this pregnancy I was curious...to say the least).

Me: "Amber, can I still dye my hair?"

Amber(who is my OB/GYN): "There is no direct route from your hair to your uterus. I don't recommend you dye your nether regions (haha), but avoid hair coloring with amonia, and make yourself feel pretty. Oh, and don't drink the dye."

I was told to avoid hair coloring that has ammonia in it, but that most hair coloring has none now.

My OB/GYN's specific answer to that same question made me laugh. (having been dying my hair for 5 years and having 2 m/c's in that time period, w/ this pregnancy I was curious...to say the least).

Me: "Amber, can I still dye my hair?"

Amber(who is my OB/GYN): "There is no direct route from your hair to your uterus. I don't recommend you dye your nether regions (haha), but avoid hair coloring with amonia, and make yourself feel pretty. Oh, and don't drink the dye."

That is hilarious - really made me laugh....and pretty true I guess. However, it wouldn't surprise me if dyeing pubes was the next celebrity thing. After all, Brazilians are so 'yesterday' :winkwink:
I think in an article I read it said something about traces of hair dye being found in the bloodstream and urine after they tested it, but I am pretty sure the article said the amounts of dye they tested with were far more than you would ever use in a simple treatment.

Did you dye your hair before 12 weeks as well?

Yes, but I didn't know I was pregnant. I would've only been like a month. Tops. I mentioned that to my Doctor too, cuz of organs developing and stuff. She said that it wasn't necessarily recommended, but not cuz of actual knowledge of things going wrong, more out of caution. She said that by the time it seeped into your scalp, through your bloodstream, to the baby, it'd be such small trace amounts that it's really not a huge deal. She did say though to make sure you're in a well-ventilated area because the smell can make you nauseous. I was thinking "Oh no! Nausea! My world will end! How will I ever survive???" lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->