Dr advises hospital birth, mw advises home birth..

T

trashit

The gp i saw today at the hosp adviced i have a hosp birth cos im young, its my first baby and hosp is safer and has all the pain relief necessary. MW advised home birth as im low risk and its more comfortable at home, and the hosp is dangerous due to bugs. OMG! which one do i listen to? Ive wanted to have home birth from the word go and havent been put off by stupid gorey details of blood on the carpets etc. I believe they are safe, plus hosp is 10 mins away just in case.. Help!x

Go with whatever you feel most comfortable doing. It's my first baby and I've recently opted for a home birth. You could always start out at home and then transfer to hospital after if needs be as it's only 10 minutes away. From my point of view, I'd be kicking myself if I had a relatively easy birth at the hospital, when I could have gone through the experience in the comfort (& cleanliness!!!) of my own home. If you're low risk, the GP shouldn't be telling you that you must have your baby in hospital! Very naughty of him! x

By the way, with home births you have the same pain relief available except for epidural so that wasn't really a good enough reason from the GP either! x

You really have to make the decision. I loved, LOVED having my babies at home...With this time, I cannot though because there's two...Good luck...The only thing I can say is to start reading.

its something only you can decide...go with whatever YOU want to do. If there is no medical reason for you to not have a home birth then y not if its what you want.

Im having a home birth...this is my first and im 25 (so fairly young).

xxx

As others have said, you're the one who has to make the decision - however- I should say that your doc was not quite accurate when he said that hospital births are safer. Statistics consistently show that home births (for low risk women) are as safe as hospital births. Perhaps he's considering if you get into a 'high risk' situation?

I say go seek our some research and info on both and see what works best for you!

hi i had a hospital birth with my first as i hadn't thought about a home birth but this time i want a home birth, docs say to have in hosp but my midwife says its fine to have my son at home- depending on if there is enough midwives as two are needed for home births in our area.

Thanks for everyones replies. Thing is- i dont wanna be transfered over to bradfords hosp as Ive heard its rubbish, theyre overstretched for midwifes and theres a higher infant mortality rate here than anywhere else.. So if i was to be transfered id like it to be to leeds hosp but im not under leeds care so would that be possible? Leeds isnt much further than the bradford hosp btw x

Welllll, I'm only "young" and this is my first baba and a homebirth has been my plan since I got my BFP!!!!!!!

You go with what your comfortable with :) doctors are BOUND to say "hospital is safer" blah blah blah cause it makes their lives EASIER.

Like you said its only round the corner so you shouldn't have any trouble getting to it if needs be :) !

I would talk to your midwife.

Don't let them wear you down though - you are entitled to have a homebirth whatever your circumstance as long as you are low risk :)

xxx

Homebirth is just as safe as hospital birth. It has many positive benefits - try www.homebirth.org for lots more advice and personal experiences of homebirth xxx

As others have said do what you feel most comfortable with.

I am have planned for a home birth as it is just as safe if I stay low risk and will give me greater freedom and comfort. I also know that if I go into hospital when I am low risk then I will not get as much attention as if I stay at home. At home your midwife has to be one to one with you. If they are busy in hospital and you are low risk then you may end up sharing your midwife.

But, I have a reasonably low iron count which means I may have to go into hospital for my own safety as I could bleed more or be sicker if i do bleed. If I am advised to go in then I will do so.

They do say your first baby is the best to have at home as if something is going to go wrong it will do so slowly and you will have the time to transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->