Drank alcohol first trimester (unaware preg) scared!..

Emilia30

Reaction score
I have recently found out I was pregnant..not until I was 10 weeks pregnant. I spoke with my doctor about this, but she said that at this time there is no way to tell is the baby will have fetal alcohol syndrome and to stop drinking from her on out of course. I have been researching for like hours on end this topic and would just really appreciate some feedback. As I said I am a little over 10 weeks pregnant now and the problem is I HEAVILY drank 2 times..so binge drank 2 times..honestly probably 10+ drinks both times.. one I was 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and the other I was 9 1/2 weeks pregnant. But I didn't have any alcohol in between. I also take prenatals and try to eat healthy and do not smoke. I am so nervous I caused harm to the baby because what I am reading is the first trimester is the most important trimester (they all are, but this is crucial) for the baby's development. I also have read that there may be a difference between binge drinking and daily drinking and the effects it has. I know there is no cut and dry answer because of course something could be wrong with the baby both physically (cleft lip, small head, Fetal alcohol syndrome facial features because the first trimester is when all of that is forming) and mentally because there was alcohol involved, but I would REALLY appreciate any feedback/similar stories and what the outcomes were/any further data you have about fetal alcohol syndrome.

I drank 1 drink a month at a moms group with dd2. She had NO issues and neither did I.

As long as you stopped and spoke to your doctor, that is a step in the right direction.

So the good thing is that you are worried about it. It means you will be a good mom and not continue with this for the rest of your pregnancy. LOTS of women drink before they know they are pregnant. Lots of women drink even when knowing they are pregnant. I think your baby will be just fine. Continue to stay away from the booze the rest of the pregnancy. All will be okay. Hugs!

I'm not a doctor, but I recently attended a training session on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (I'm a social worker) and basically the evidence seemed to indicate that it is prolonged drinking throughout the pregnancy that does more harm than a few heavy sessions. Obviously no one should binge drink when pregnant but it happens because sometimes we really don't know in those early months and the majority of kids are totally fine. The body is actually good at protecting growing babies. No on can guarantee you your baby will have zero effects, but the statistics are in your favour. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->