Dreading labour

Beee

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to meet baby as soon as possible but have really started to panic about the birth.
I was induced on due date last time due to reduced movements and fetal tachycardia, and ended up with an epidural/forceps.
I really want to go into labour spontaneously this time and avoid an epidural as it slowed labour down last time. However, I have a low pain threshold and I am so scared of the pain during labour/ring of fire etc.
Aaaaahh! Xx

I sort of empathise! I can't wait to meet our little bundle and feel so lucky to be blessed with another baby. When we had ds, I had an awful induction which included every pain relief going and eventual emergency section - I was in hospital for a week in total. I am so adamant that I will not be induced again that if I do not go into natural labour by 39 weeks then I will have an elective section. People say that labour is a pain you forget. My ds is worth every single moment a million times over, but it is not an experience I have got over. x

If I'm honest I think I was naive the first time around this time I'm terrified! I had a natural (just gas and air) but back to back labour last time and DD was in distress as she was stuck on my hip.

This time I've been diagnosed with a clot in my lung so pretty much have to have a natural labour unless something goes wrong. An epidural is pretty much out the window. So is the birthing pool which is what I really wanted as I have to be in the consultant led unit.

My first was a fairly quick labour. My pain thresholds are pretty low too, but I have the mindset I delivered an almost 9lb baby on gas and air once I will do it again!

I hope you get the natural labour you want x

They are doing testing of a new drug to be used for child birth it's in my notes if I remember to look I will post. But your midwife should know. I'm hoping to use that option as there's no huge needle in the back and it doesn't make the baby drowsy. Also once the lines in it's self administered, no being stuck to your bed either. I had epidural and forceps last time so glad I won't have to endure the epidural again! Good luck x

My labour was super long (days) and after pushing for over 2 hours they removed the gas and air stating they thought it sslowed me down. 2 hours later of more pushing things still hadn't got far so i had episiotomy and ventouse. No pain relief! Anyway, not something I want to repeat. I was exhausted and could not feel any urge as to when to push. I just kept pushing if they said which didn't help as wasn't effective. No sleep for 3 days was a real tough thing for keeping energy for labour. Next time I am going to be asking for pethidine earlier on to try to recoup some energy if things go so slowly again. I am dreading labour this time to be honest but keep telling myself 'it has to be done' so i am trying to just stay focused on it being ok

Your certainly not alone here. I had a two day labour and it ended up in forceps delivery, I also opted for the epidural but it wore off after three hours so I won't be going for that this time.

For me, I think last time I wasn't expecting the pain to be as bad, I was very naive, this time however, I'm fully prepared and I know exactly what's coming so I am hoping I can handle the situation better.

Yeah I guess at least I know 2hat to expect in terms of pain from contractions. Its just the feeling of needing to push and ring of fire that I didn't experience last time that I'm quite anxious about. My friend had a 2 hour labour-start to finish- with her second and just used the pool for pain relief. I wish mine could be like that!
Xx

I never experienced that either as in the end it was forceps and a spinal.

We will get through it, us woman are made for this sort of thing ;)

I feel the same way. Its scary thinking about what's going to happen and when. I try not to think about it but that doesn't really work lol

I felt the same after 36 hours of back labour hell & 3 failed epidurals last time!

But to give you some hope, second time round couldn't have been any more different. Spontaneous natural labour, roughly 12 hours of contractions but it was only the last 2 which were significantly painful. By the time I felt the need for anything more than gas & air I was in transition & 9cm dilated. Pushing wasn't exactly pleasant but even the ring of fire wasn't so bad as I expected, weird given DS2 was 9lb compared to DS1 who was 6lb 11oz!

What I will say is that I learnt from last time and was a lot more active while in labour, I barely sat down unless it was to bounce on my birthing ball. I'd like to think that helped me progress smoothly & get baby into the best delivery position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->