drinking while ttc?

starbelly

Reaction score
Hi all -

I know everyone is different, and that technically "they say" not drinking a good thing to do once you decide you want to get pregnant. I've also heard "drink until pink" where people don't stop drinking until a test is positive.

My thing is, I'm not REALLY trying, but whenever there is a small chance I could be pregnant, I can't help but get a little excited and right now my period is 2 days late - according to app (it's been late before, no big deal, and I totally feel AF is coming any second and the Wondfo tests are saying negative..), but if I AM pregnant, and the tests just aren't showing yet, would it be okay to be drinking until I know for sure?

What do you ladies do? I really like my wine. I'm not a "glass everyone once in awhile" kind of girl - I'm more of a glass or two every night girl. :-# I guess my question is, if I AM pregnant (chances are very low), and I continue to have wine at night before I know for sure, could that make me un-pregnant or early miscarry? I know lots of people drink normally and find out they are pregnant as a surprise and they are fine....soooo?

Not too sure about EVERY night, but one throughout the week (occasional) is fine. I am 5/6 dpo and going to mardi gras next week, I will be having a drink or two anyway. Very small doses of coffee are fine too. While caffeine is harmful, a slight amount encourages production of something (I do not remember the chemical) in the lungs, increasing good lung support in the chance of a premature baby. I would check with OB once you get a positive, but two glasses of wine a night increases many risks.
Full disclosure, I am not a doctor!

I can totally relate, I LOVE my wine too, I'm a every other night 2-3 glasses! But in November me and DH were NTNP and low and behold I got preggy, unfortunately it ended in an ectopic. Now I'm not saying drinking caused it but when I conceived my other 2 DD and DS I drank nothing at all and had very smooth pregnancies and births! I've had 3 ectopics, 1 miscarriage, and 1 chemical. 2 out of 3 ectopics I was drinking, the 1 miscarriage I blame solely on drinking(College days"heavy drinking") had no idea I was 7weeks. So for me drinking played a big role on my conscious big time! So now me and DH are actively trying I don't drink at all! I miss my wine but for me I've had such bad experiences with drinking and winding up pregnant I will be holding off. But I know loads of women personally whose drunken night ended in them becoming mommies! For me this is such a debatable topic. Alot of people will say NO DRINKING AT ALL and some say a glass or two is fine every once in a while. But for me its a NO GO!
GL mama:dust:

Thank you so much for the replies! It’s just annoying when you are testing and it’s saying bfn but no af yet so.... ugh I just want to know!

I drank way more when I concieved my DD several years ago. She was a whoopsy baby! I still drink and when we first started ttc I gave up. After more that 6 months I just started to think "well, I may as well treat myself, this ttc could go on for years why should I miss out". I did some research and I believe (not a doctor) the foetus doesn't connect to your blood supply until around 6 weeks. So up until then although it isn't brilliant to be drinking the risks are lower. I suppose you could say I am "drink til pink" although if I even suspected I was pg I wouldn't drink from then.

Hi! I'm so glad you posted this question, because I am kiiind of in the same boat. My husband and I are going on vacation in the next few weeks and I will be ovulating (supposedly) while we're away. So, I *could* get pregnant. Two weeks after we come home, I am taking my best friend on a girls weekend up to Portland and obviously there's going to be a lot of martini-ing and bloody mary-ing while we're away. A small part of me is like...how bad is this if I actually get pregnant a few weeks earlier? BUT, the other part of me is like...it's not guaranteed that I will be, and I don't want to put a stop to "the fun" until I see those lines on a test.

Obviously I would never ever ever drink while knowingly pregnant. But I don't think it's too bad if you don't know and you have a few drinks. I looked into it a little bit just in case, and it says as long as you're not binge drinking every night, it most likely won't do any damage. Think of how many people are wasted every week until they find out they're unexpectedly pregnant!

I'd say....live your life until you know for sure. Don't binge drink or go hog wild, but...you'll be going 9/10 months without very soon, so....enjoy your wine while you can ;)

Ha I'm the same. I don't tend to drink during the week but on the weekend I love a bottle a night with a takeaway.
I'm going to enjoy myself until I get a positive and then it will be a complete cut off.

Drink until that test is pink!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->