driving etiquette

Sarah lo

mum of 2 little monkeys!
Reaction score
So this has been really bugging me for a while now.

If you're driving along and there is a car parked on the other side of the road and somebody coming the other way stops so you can keep going, do you thank them? or is there a rule that says if it was your right of way anyway you don't need to say thank you?

I always say thank you regardless of whose right of way it was but I'm finding that people regularly don't bother to thank me. Are they being rude or are they right not to say thank you?

I always say thanks. I suppose you don't have to because they have right of way.

But it's rude!

Never drive here then, nobody acknowledges you for anything :p

Some people must think I'm well weird when I say thanks. In the 4 years I've been here I swear I've only seen like 5 people thank me or return the thanks.

Never drive here then, nobody acknowledges you for anything :p

Some people must think I'm well weird when I say thanks. In the 4 years I've been here I swear I've only seen like 5 people thank me or return the thanks.

Ha ha oh god I'd go nuts over there then! :haha:

I tend to not thank people, I do think it's a bit rude even though I do it but I'm focusing on my driving and really don't care if I don't wave a hand at someone,

I do thank people when I drive and that happens. If I don't, it's because I'm trying to concentrate on not crashing the car :haha:

Yeah I always thank people, even if it's just like a slight finger raise and head nod if I have to quickly pull back in. I'm also pretty quick to be vocal about driving I'm not so fond of :)

I always thank people, which feels like a constant thing as alot of the roads around me are like that. It takes 2 seconds to give a little wave

I always thank people, I live in the countryside and to get to my house it's miles of lanes where if you meet another car you should slow down and pull in if necessary and again, I'll always say thanks. So many people don't though, they just speed past which I think is kinda rude, it's like holding a door open for someone and them just barging through and not acknowledging you!

I'm glad its not just me then. I was starting to wonder if other drivers might think I was a bit stupid for saying thanks when it was my right of way anyway :haha:

In the true spirit of this thread I have thanked all the replies :)

I always thank people and return the thanks, in any situation, including that one :)

I always say thanks and return their thanks if I gave way. I get a bit miffed if they don't say thankyou haha

I always give a wave. I might have a tendency to mutter things when people don't :lol:

I always wave thanks, although, locally we only raise one finger. Any more than the one finger and people get all confused because they think you must know them...

I always have a good rant and mutter about those who don't have the decency to say thanks.

Another Thanker here. I usually raise my hand. I get more annoyed at people who arn't looking when I say thanks! Feels like I have just wasted a thanks!

I acknowledge Thank you's by nodding my head

I don't think it's rude if you have right of way, however whenever I have driven i've always said thank you regardless.

I always say thanks, either by a quick wave, lifting my hand or with a thumb- up. It's just nice to acknowledge them, and I get a bit annoyed when people don't thank me back when I let them pass xx

I don't drive (failed my test twice) but I still thank people from the passenger seat :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->