Drugs and Alcohol confessions

proudparent88

Reaction score
Did you or someone you know use drugs or alcohol while pregnant? If so what was the effect of this on the baby during and after birth?

My biological mom which I don't communicate with because she is still like this used major hard core drugs and constantly drank while she was pregnant with me. I was diagnosed at age 3 with what is known as FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) This has affected me greatly in life in a negative manner and personally I am furious with her because she finds that it is something to brag about. When I first went and got in contact with her and went and stayed with her at the time whenever she would tell people who I was she would go on to say how she did these things while pregnant with me as if it was something wonderful and great to brag about! I vowed to never be like that because I know what affect it had on me and I struggle daily because of it.

With my first my doctors couldn't find my pregnancy in blood or urine and refused to do an ultrasound. My senior year of high school I had an incident where I thought I was pregnant because my periods stopped come to find out I wasn't and they didn't know why they stopped but had to put me on medication to start them back up. When the doctors heard this they figured it was happening again. So at that time I was 20 and I was drinking and things. Finally I found out I was pregnant and luckily hadn't been drinking cause it was all I could do to get out of bed because all I did was sleep! When my blood was tested it registered at 6-8 weeks a week later I had an ultrasound to find out in reality I was actually 12+1!! I felt so horribly guilty and hated myself knowing that I had been drinking! I feared everything from there on out just hoping and praying it didn't hurt my precious first baby. I was very lucky and on October 12, 2009 I delivered a healthy 5 pound 10 ounce 18 3/4 inches long baby boy! The alcohol I drank has not affected him! He has been diagnosed with ADHD combined type and Disruptive behavior disorder which is genetic and his dad and I both had as children so I knew that is where he got it. He is now 4 but I still feel that horrible regret of what happened during my pregnancy with him! I quit drinking completely and haven't touched it since! I am told that even though I feel like I may have caused his ADHD and Disruptive behavior disorder it isn't my fault because the doctors should have been more thorough and done an ultrasound to be sure! I understand where they are coming from when told this but it still doesn't take away my guilt and shame!

My eldest has ADHD and I never drunk any alcohol or done any drugs in my life, I prepared for my pregnancy, ate only organic etc etc etc. super super strict and he still had ADHD (and autism) it's more then likely the genetic link.

However I don't agree with drinking or taking drugs while pregnant, it's only a short period of time realistically, but each to their own.

My eldest has ADHD and I never drunk any alcohol or done any drugs in my life, I prepared for my pregnancy, ate only organic etc etc etc. super super strict and he still had ADHD (and autism) it's more then likely the genetic link.

However I don't agree with drinking or taking drugs while pregnant, it's only a short period of time realistically, but each to their own.

I agree it is the mother's choice but after what happened to me from what my mom did I just feel totally against it! I guess I am wrong for feeling this way since I too do have some bad habits such as smoking. I still can't get that regret out of my head though and now that I am pregnant again it hits harder because I wanna do everything right and I still can't seem to. :cry:

I just couldn't believe though that my mom personally felt it was something to be proud of. I don't know I guess I have a different way of looking at things....

We planned on getting pregnant so i hadnt had any alcohol for a while. I know 2 girls who didnt find out they were pregnant until late...one was 16 weeks and the other 20 weeks. And i know they did a lot of things they shouldnt of. Both of their babies turned out perfectly healthy. While i did everything by the book to protect the life growing inside me and ended up getting HELLP Syndrome and having a very traumatic birth at 30 weeks.

My pregnancies weren't planned and I drank some and smoked cigarettes up until I got the positive pregnancy test. I don't think it hurt them, but I wouldn't do it intentionally after I knew I was pregnant..

I don't drink very heavily when not pregnant but quite a lot maybe 2 bottles of wine a week. I don't give up when TTC but I do quit completely as soon as I get a BFP. I don't drink through first tri. Once I hit 2nd tri I may have the very ocassional very small alcoholic drink. I had half a glass of champagne on Christmas and a glass on New Years. I also had a white wine spritzer with a dash of wine (literally a 25ml shot) topped up with soda water on Christmas Day.

I will probably have another champagne or similar on valentines day!

My gf had bad migraines and with both of her children she'd been on strong prescription pregnancy-contra-indicative meds. She also didn't like taking prenatals and refused to eat fresh veggies/dark leafy greens (she was a beans n bread carby diet kind-of-lady). She was anemic throughout both pregnancies and as a result had severe post partum depression. Both of her children have language and learning disabilities. Iron deficiency is strongly linked with ADHD, learning disabilities, post partum depression, and developmental issues like cognitive impairments etc.

My friend has barely functioning kidneys as her mum was an alcoholic when she had her. She has since cleaned up and stayed sober for 20 years but my friend has had years of hospital visits.

I'm not a big drinker but usually stopped after the first week of the tww, basically if I thought there was any chance I was pregnant.

Some things are just luck but any drugs e.g prescription, cigarettes, alcohol or recreactional drugs are covered by advice from midwives and is very clear.

Regret won't chance anything but you can use your experiences to make healthy choices in the future for your family.

I have had maybe a glass or two of wine (half at a time) this pregnancy, but that's it.

My bio mom did heroin her entire pregnancy with me and crack cocaine her entire pregnancy with my little sister. We were both born addicted and had to be de-toxed. I had some breathing problems as a baby. We were both born full term, and weighed around 5lbs. Doctors predicted that we'd have learning disabilities and what not, but we both did VERY well in school. I just got my Master's and she is in nursing school. We both plan to go on for a PhD. From everything I've researched, drugs during pregnancy have minimal long term effects on the fetus. The main issue is addiction and withdrawal. Once baby is properly de-toxed, they typically grow into normal developing children. Way different than alcohol. My brother's bio mom drank during pregnancy (a few drinks a night, a few times a week) and he has FAS along with learning disabilities.

Exactly this!!!

I got quite drunk on new years eve and got my BFP on 4th January. We weren't trying at this stage and prior cycle history meant I was convinced it would take a long time of hard trying so I had no clue whatsoever. Still feel guilty as sin though!

I am on Suboxone and am currently 18 weeks! My doctor said my baby is perfectly healthy! I had used opiates and had no idea I was pregnant! As soon as I found out, I was about 7 weeks, and I sought medical treatment right away.

I am doing great and so is the baby. I am currently in an out-patient Suboxone program for pregnant woman under age 25, and every single woman who had a child and got help before 12 weeks has had perfectly healthy babies! Of course this is with no relapses and taking the Suboxone as prescribed!

I am considered high risk, so my doctor is high risk. They say usually if the drug use is stopped before 10-12 weeks, you will more than likely have a healthy baby. If your drug and alcohol use was extremely, extremely heavy you will have issues. They are usually caught on early and your 2nd trimister ultrasound catches most problems.

Sometimes people don't realize they are pregnant, but once found out, as long as you do the smart thing and what is right, you will live a happy, healthy life and so will your baby! :thumbup:

Hope this info helps!

Starbuxbunny, I was just reading up on suboxone because I'd never heard of it before.... Do you know why they have you on that instead of methadone?

I have not read all of the responses but I thought I would share something related that just irks me.

I have a cousin who harps on anyone who drinks anything but water during pregnancy, but has no problem with smoking. :dohh:

My mother continued to smoke and drink throughout all 3 pregnancies as far as I'm aware.
We were all pretty decent size babies, with no known effects SO FAR.
Xx

I didn't find out I was pregnant with DS till I was 16 wks pregnant because I had 'periods' with him and I must admit I drank a lot until I got my BFP and completely stopped. He was born with a 2 vessel umbilical cord and had to have a scan on his kidneys at 10 days old (due to the umbilical cord) but he is perfectly fine. I still feel guilty about it now though.

With DD I drank a LOT the weekend before my BFP as it was my birthday and I got my BFP a couple of days later. We wasn't actually trying that month and I didn't think I was pregnant. and she is perfectly fine.

This time even though this was a surprise baby I hadn't been drinking. I had stopped because I didn't see the point in it and would rather spend quality time with the kids instead of feeling a bit off the next day.

My DS was born at 40wks weighing 6lb 7oz and DD was born at 38+2 weighing 6lb 8oz.

One of my SIL's drank every weekend (not a lot but still had a drink) and her 1st was born at 39wks weighing 9lb 8oz and her 2nd was born at 37wks weighing 7lb 1oz x

My mother smoked and drank throughout all her pregnancies, we are all fine well rounded and intelligent adults. 38/40/44, not even small either. (All over 7lb)

I have a glass of wine here and there, but gave up smoking early on.

i had a friend (not anymore} who smoked cannabis bongs every morning to relieve her morning sickness throughout the pregnancy. she was very unhealthy... had to be repeatly admited to hospital to be put on drips.
baby was born very tiny, and was generally quitw a sick baby (lots of colds ect for the first 6 months. but now seems to be a healthy 2yr old. i couldnt believe she would do it that though so we feel out about it.

I had a night out with alot of drink before i got my bfp but dr said it was fine, obviosuly havent had any since finding out tho.

My sister smoked cigarette during both of her pregnancies.

I was smoking - legal and not, and drinking liquor before I found out I was pregnant with this pregnancy. He was a surprise baby, that's for sure. I cut off everything the moment I found out, that was about at 6weeks or 7weeks. Oddly enough, I kinda slowed on the drinking, and nearly stopped the weed before I knew. Just felt kinda "off" for a week or two until I got the BFP.

My first pregnancy, I was just smoking cigarettes, that took me awhile to actually quit that. Didn't stop for a while, ended up starting up again the day I found out her heart stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->