dry skin because of bathing

marley2580

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago we introduced a nightly bath to Kaya's bedtime routine (previously she had them once or twice a week). But since then we've noticed quite dry skin on her arms. We use the night time baby bath and we've now moved to only using the baby wash twice a week, the rest of the time she's just washed with water, but we've only just started this. We've also got some bedtime lotion for after her bath and some E45 lotion for during the day. Can anyone suggest anything else we can try?

This is why we only bath elliot twice a week, and just top n tail kind of thing in between.

I don't personally think you need to inlcude a bath into a bedtime routine, elliot knows its bedtime when hes put into him pj's and sleep bag then had his bottle...then hes off to sleep!

keely.

ps-oil is very good for dry skin.

I think you can get an e45 bubble bath - they use it for people with excema - might stop the skin drying out ? Or like keelycat suggests only bath every few days - you could always do a top and tail and a little massage instead ?

Honestly, if she has dry skin than I would go back to bathing every second day. Some babies are more sensitive to baths and baby soap than others.

I only give Olivia a bath every other day unless she has got particually dirty. I dont think you would need to give her a bath every day, When Olivia dosent have a bath as Olivias bath is also in her bed time routine I read her an extra story whilst we are still sat down stairs. She still always goes to bed at the same time of 7pm

x

The thing is that the bath really helps Kaya to wind down for the night, she also really needs washed every night now as by the end of the day she's filthy!

Hmmm, im not quite sure what to suggest then. Perhaps a trip to the doctors? I know they can sometimes prescribe things to go into the bath.

I know my OH used to have things prescribed to him as a child to put in the bath but I dont know from what age that strated, but at least if there is something then they are the ones who can give you it.

x

Try some aqueous cream, you can use it as a soap aswell.

Thats a good point ag, Olivia just had a great big tub prescribed from the doctors as she had eczema at the back of her leg and its cleared it up a treat and she also used to get very dry cheeks (i think perhaps windbrun on the way to Nursery in her pushchair as daddy dosent drive) so I started rubbing a pea sized amount of that on her cheeks and its cleared that a treat too! She's now super soft head to toe

x

i'd go to the doctors (or you can purchase if you prefer) and ask for some oilatum. it's an imolient for the bath x

I'll try and get to the doctors this week. Until then I think we'll just bathe her if she's hyper before bed and try other things like extra stories etc. Thanks all.

oilatum - that's the stuff!! Stupid baby brain wouldn't remember it!!

I think this may be the cause of Poppy's dry skin too. I have a friend who bathed her little boy every night and his skin was always bad, but with her second baby she only bathes her once ot twice a week and her skin is perfect.

We use Oilatum in Poppy's bath, and hydromol on her after. I also massage her after her bath and use grapeseed oil for that.

Believe it or not it may not e the soaps etc. Water actually dries the skin out, people who suffer with dry skin and or eczema are often recommended not to shower/bath every day.

Junior oilatum can be given on prescrip, also aqueous is also possible to Failing that Olive oil. In the bath water and or massaged into the skin. It doesn't smell as nice though!

Amelia has really dry skin, she was starting to get eczema but the doctor prescribed her some oilatum you put into the bath, it means you don't need to use soap and it doesn't dry her skin out.

I can bathe her every night and she doesn't get any dry skin at all, i don't even have to use the moisturiser on her anymore!

So...get some oilatum and bathe her in that :D

The thing is that the bath really helps Kaya to wind down for the night, she also really needs washed every night now as by the end of the day she's filthy!

Kathryn gets really dry skin from her nightly baths too, we've tried bathing her only every other day or 2, but it take over an hour to get her to sleep those nights, so we are back on the nightly baths (she goes to bed so much faster!). We only use baby wash every other day or 2, and just let her splash around when we don't use soap. We've just been putting Huggies baby lotion on after her bath and it helps a lot, if it's really bad we use baby oil.

Benn suffers quite bad to so i only let him bath every other night and everyday i cover him in aqueous cream. I limit how long his allowed in the bath so like 10mins max. He normally always has a little bit of it but his now ok since ive only been letting him have 5/10 mins.

put some oil in the bathwater when you run it......and we use Olive Oil on Maley and she has a bath daily and has never had dry skin....

A little drop of olive oil in the bath water (if you wash her hair don't rinse with the bath water though :dohh: as has been done on occasion in our house!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->