Due October 14th...Anyone else?

Thanks peanut I will try that! What a good idea.

Lunar I've not seen that brand here in the uk. Bought some today that was Johnsons but I think i'm going to buy a few different brands of everything (nappies included) and just try them out trial and error style. Just don't want to waste money on stuff that's rubbish.

Oh, I wasn't sure whether or not they have it in the UK, but I figured there was a chance they do. I'm sure there's an equivalent in the UK, just not sure what it's called, sorry 'bout that!

What kind of diapers do you ladies recommend?
My families told me not to bother with huggies, and most of them use luvs for their babies, just wondering other ladies opinions?

I've heard Pampers swaddlers are good for newborns. I'll get some, but we are planning on using cloth. There's so many kinds and brands to choose from that I'm overwhelmed though. Just got my first shipment of fitteds (cloth diapers sewn like disposables) and covers. The covers are so cute. So many fun designs.

Pampers are a good choice, in my opinion.

I think (don't know) you need to use cream more with girls? But with my boys I was told only ever use it if they get a rash. I always used sudo creme, or even asdas little angels version. If they got a rash I'd slap a bit of that on and by the next change it was almost gone!
Also I never actually tried it but a natural tip is egg whites! Put some egg whites on the rash, let it dry, then put the nappy on and it is apparently fantastic.

Nappy/diaper wise. Babies have different body shapes as do we all and so different people find different nappies work best for their babies.
For my boys pampers have ALWAYS leaked as newborns. So I used Huggies as new borns. I would then switch to Asdas little angels or even Aldi are quite good. Then when it came to pull ups (which I use for ease of changing once they are walking rather than for potty training) I found Huggies leaked, and Asdas leaked or if I got a bigger size fell down, so I then went with Pampers.
I have a big box of Huggies size ones for DS4 already.
DS3 I used cloth after the first couple of weeks until he was walking and became too difficult to change so I think I will do the same this time round.

What kind of diapers do you ladies recommend?
My families told me not to bother with huggies, and most of them use luvs for their babies, just wondering other ladies opinions?

I've heard Pampers swaddlers are good for newborns. I'll get some, but we are planning on using cloth. There's so many kinds and brands to choose from that I'm overwhelmed though. Just got my first shipment of fitteds (cloth diapers sewn like disposables) and covers. The covers are so cute. So many fun designs.

I hear it really depends on the baby too? :shrug: I'm planning on getting a couple different brands each to test and see which kind works best with baby. I have sensitive skin, so I'm assuming he will too. I've heard one brand leaks with boys, but not girls, and another brand leaks with girls and not boys. I think it's going to be a trial and error for us :haha:

For the cream, we've used "Bag Balm" since DD was a baby. My mother-in-law suggested it after our daughter got a rash when she was teething that just would NOT stop. I bought every cream under the sun spent sooo much money trying to help her. We let her sit with a diaper off a lot to encourage it to heal but soon as the diaper went back on it would just get worse. I didn't want to use the bag balm because my Mother-in-law told me it's something that farmers used to use on cow udders to keep them from rashing. I mentioned it to her pediatrician and she said she's known many people who use it and swear by it, and suggested I try it and that it's perfectly safe. Next morning the rash was a million times better and we never went back to anything else. I'm not sure if it is available in other countries or not, but I always recommend it after that experience! As for diapers, we used huggies with DD and loved them, but with DS he always seemed to pee right out them and I've heard from others that they had the same problem with boys. We used Target brand diapers with him and find they are great. I would recommend trying different brands, as what one person loves the next person may hate. I've never liked Pampers once you get beyond the swaddlers, but my sister won't use anything else.

I think (don't know) you need to use cream more with girls? But with my boys I was told only ever use it if they get a rash. I always used sudo creme, or even asdas little angels version. If they got a rash I'd slap a bit of that on and by the next change it was almost gone!

I know some people who use cream at every change, but having had a boy and a girl I can say you don't need to use anymore cream with a girl than with a boy. I never used cream unless there was a rash, and like you I put it on soon as the first sign of a rash was there. Letting baby sit with their diaper off every now and then is helpful for their bottoms too!

Sudo creme for every day then brepatham (sp?) for when it really bad.

My little guy cant have Pampers - it makes him super sore. So we started with huggies then when they withdrew from the UK moved on to Asda Little angles...which have been brilliant and SOOO much cheaper!

I was interested in cloth but as he going to be little over the winter i dont think i will ever be able o wash and dry enough for each day as dont have a tumble drier. - as what 10 nappies a day - 3-4 days worth to give me time to wash and dry that over 40 cloth which would cost like £2-300 (if i bought brand new)

I found (don't know if you get them out side of the UK) that we got loads of samples in the various Bounty packs we were given, and also I joined every 'baby club' going. Most supermarkets did one as did Boots and I think Superdrug (Pharmacies). So I had samples from them too. I also had a coupon for Huggies and one for Pampers so bought a pack each of those. Thats how I ended up trying them all and finding I preferred the Huggies.

Question for those of you with girls and boys already, do you think properly wiping a girl is harder than wiping a boy?
My MIL has freaked me out and made me think that this is going to be some extremely difficult task, but she only has boys, so I'm wondering if there's truth to this.

Naaa, girls are easy! Most of the time when my DD poops, her labia doesn't need cleaning. It's a very very bad poo that gets all over the inner bit! But even then a quick wipe and you're done. You just don't get poop properly inside (I assume that's what she's worried about?)

Actually I'm having a boy this time, and I'm kinda freaking out about poops. I come from a family of lots and lots of girls, so baby boy bits kind of look freaky to me...(sorry!! haha) and I'm imagining having to clean poop from all over the place, all over the balls and everything, eeeeeek! There seems to be a much bigger surface area to clean!

As for nappies, buy what is on offer! Big supermarkets in the UK are always doing "baby events", we go and buy the huge boxes of whatever brand is on offer. Good value. If you find yourself a bit tight on money, the nappies in lidl are absolutely excellent value.
IMO there is very little difference in nappies. Wipes are wipes, I tend to prefer the ones that are less like paper purely because I don't like the feel of them and they're more difficult to get out of the pack. Ones with a plastic lid tend to dry out less, but I feel guilty buying them and will always make sure they go in the recycling. Buy the cheapest!

The only time I have ever had trouble with nappies was when Poppy was really little and we forgot nappies, and had to buy "ultra dry" style ones which gave her a rash. I believe ones made for newborns are slightly more kind on the skin, and they can be more sensitive when little.

No, girls are not "harder" to clean. Always wipe front to back and all is well. Poo eill inevitably travel up onto her girly parts at some point, so if that happens just make sure you are cleaning it extra well when that happens. Boys are harder to change to me. You never know when that little thing is going to turn into a tiny firehose, and you'd be surprised how much distance they can get! I can't tell you how many times my son peed on his own face and sprayed my bed up to 3 feet away from him the first 2 weeks. Be fast with boy changes, and always open the diaper slowly watching for a shooter as you do lol.

Phew, thanks, Preggy & Crafty, my MIL was acting like changing a girls diaper is like solving a Rubik's cube.

I'm assuming she may just be overly paranoid about getting poop into places it shouldn't go, but really freaked me out.

Also, PreggyEggy, changing a boys diaper is not extremely hard, but you do need to watch out for the pee stream sometimes (although, my son didn't do this much, and usually when he did, it ended up on his father :haha:).
The poop usually stays towards the back unless it's a particularly messy one, in which case you just need to sort of lift the penis and make sure you've got everything underneath and around it. Same with the balls.
I know it seems a little freaky at first, I was totally freaked out at first, I won't lie, but you get used to it heh.

Oooh never thought about the difference between changing girls and boys. I have only ever changed girls before and suspect i'm having a boy so will have to get used to that too.

Do you use cream on every nappy change to prevent rashes? Everytime I've done it for other peoples babies that's what they seem to do so thats what I was going to do... Now wondering if it would be better to just use it when a rash starts to appear.

So many things to think about! I've started packing mine and the babies bags this weekend. How many sleepers/grows will you be taking to the hospital? I'm hoping (as everyone is) for a straight forward birth so no lengthy stay in hospital. Was packing a few yesterday and OH remarked that he thought I was packing too many :shrug:

I only had DS1 in hospital and found a lot of stuff on the hospital bag list I had from some store or other was just not used. I would take one vest and sleepsuit to wear straight after birth. One of each to wear home, or an outfit though the sleepsuit is probably easier and more comfortable. And then also a spare in case of leaking poo or baby sick.
The thing is that if you have to be in longer that a few hours/one night, then you can always have someone bring more things in to you. Even if you put a special pile of clothes for you and baby on top of a chest of draws or somewhere so that DH knows those are the things you will want.

Also I only use cream when a rash starts. With DS1 I went to the anti-natal classes and they said barrier creams can block the nappies absorbency and cause them to leak. Mine very rarely got rashes even though they all got extra sensitive skin from their dad. But the choice is yours as I know many people do use it every time. Neither way is 'wrong'

Yeah like PP said you can always have more items brought up to you. I'd bring 2 sleepers, just in case of a poo getting on the one sleeper(babies tend to poo more as you change them, and I've had it happen where I moved the diaper to switch to the clean one and sure enough baby started pooping), and of course the going home outfit. Most of the time, the hospitals do have a little sleep shirt they put on babies(at least here they do), so you won't be without even if you run out. As for the cream at every change, to me it's not necessary like I said, but I do know people who do it. And it will depend on your baby. Some babies do have very sensitive skin, moreso than other babies, and get rashes a lot and in that case I would use the cream as a preventative. But if baby doesn't seem to have issues, don't worry too much about it and save yourself the $$. You can go through a tube pretty fast using it at every change.

With my son, I brought 2 sleepers and 2 onesies.
With this one, I'm thinking of bringing the same amount, and I live about 5 minutes from the hospital I'm delivering at, so if I need more, I can always have one quickly brought from home.
As for the diaper cream, with my son, I did not use it every change, I only used it when I saw a rash forming. I'm not sure if it will be different with a girl, but I plan to do the same thing as I'd be going through diaper cream tubes like nothing if I used them at every change rather than just when I see a rash.

multiple post, internet issues.
deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"