• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Dummies????

Oh and I didnt SAY there was anything WRONG with children having a comforter. What I have been saying is that my PERSONAL CHOICE is to not use comforters of any description, its not wrong its just my choice based on my personal opinions,feelings and research. It doesnt mean Im wrong to not give my child any sort of comforter it just means thats my CHOICE. Im sure I said in several places I wasnt saying it was wrong for any person to make a desicion to use a dummy, blankie, teddy whatever I was just giving my reasons and opinions on not doing so because someone asked. What Ill add here is that my personal thoughts are that at times comforters of various descriptions (dummies, putting babies to sleep using certain songs etc) can lead to learned behaviours that may cause some problems, such as the whole being unable to sleep without said blankie, teddy, dummy and so on. This does not pose a problem or concern for many, many people and thats completely ok if that is someone choice...its just not mine thats all!!

It's ok hun, i prob read it wrong but just sounded like you were saying there is something wrong with a child if they have one that's all . :hugs:

You knows I luvs you dizz :) Just making myself clear....forever thinking I havent!!!!

I loves you too .. thing is hun ...we know we can express opinions whether each other like them or not & still are ok ... i think thats what someone calls being mature eeek get us ! lol

Loves u 2 babe x

What kind of mattress is good for helping reduce the risk of SIDS?? i didnt really know that the mattress could play a part in that i thought it was just breathing problems. I dont know much about it actually i should do some reading. a good friend lost a brother when he was a baby to SIDS and recently ran a marathon and raised 2 and a half grand for the reaserch into SIDS. Go him!!
when i was little my mums friend gave me a racoon teddy, it is v cure and had leather on the bottom of the feet and hands, i never got attached to it and then neither did my brother, but my sister did, She called him ''baa-bee'' .. i can only assume she was trying to say baby.. like its her baby... she used to rub the leather of the feet onto her face and suck her thumb. it was very cute. She still has him but she doesnt sleep with him or anything. but if she lost him she wud prob be a bit gutted as shes just always had him in her room. its weird how some kids get attached to things and some dont, she just liked the feel of the leather on her face!

I haven't a clue hun, i need a mattress for me moses basket too though so thanks for the reminder ! lol

I am assuming the ones that come in the moses baskets are ok though arent they??

I am thinking more for the cot? I was advised to get the most expensive one i could afford... but is there any specific things i should look for in a mattress?

you're a wealth of knowledge Squish! :thumbup: So sorry to hear about your loss. :cry:

Some people have been telling me to move the baby to its own room at 3 months as it gets difficult after than. But if six months is recommended then I guess we'll have to do difficult.

And any news on whether the mattresses in moses baskets (or indeed moses baskets themselves!) are safe would be great!

thank you all for your replies, ive found all the infomation in this thread very interesting. Sorry i havent been thru and thanked you all individually but i do thank you all for your comments.

I think i am more confused now than i was before. I still think i am going to go witih no dummy but the thought of it reducing the chance of SIDS is almost enough for me to try it just for bed time.

Oh i dont know now....may have to research it. or just wait and see how i feel when LO arrives.

Please continue conversations as im loving the info.

Thanks again!!!

xxx

I think thats the best idea, to wait and see once baby is here! you can always give it to baby only at nighttime, the baby will know if he/she never gets it during the day then he/she wont want it either. you can train them to understand that once they get the dummy it into bed they go!

im off to google about the mattresses, i think that a mod shoud put up a bit in 2nd or 3rd tri at the top a thread about info on SIDS, Like there is on obestric cholerisis of however you spell it... i cant. but know what i mean? so for us clueless folks can go and read up and get links. i think would be very handy.

while in hospital i didn't give my daughter a dummy, simply because i knew if she didn't get used to it then she would need it! However, the first day i got out the hospital my mum and sister where in the living room with the baby, we were getting ready to go show some family the new arrival i was in the bedroom and all i heard was ' Elaine come here' walked in the living room and here is my wee daughter in her car seat looking tiny with a huge white dummy in her mouth!! and it did stop her crying as she was a bit of a cryer i must say, even after being fed and comforted etc.

As it calmed her down i continued with it, and some one else told me it was supposed to help them with breathing through their nose, but now at 3 years old she still has a dummy going to bed (going to try the whole leave your dummy for Santa this year) see how we get on with that!!

This time around i wont use a dummy in the hospital and i will see how i get on in the house, see what kind of temperament he has lol. I have no issues with using them, i had my daughter at the dentist for the first time earlier in the year and i asked him about her teeth and he said no they were growing in fine, which was a relief but i always took the dummy off her during the night and from the age of 1 ish she didn't have it through the day either.

just to say elainegee, the way my mum got me off the dummy was just by force one night (I only had it at night) and she didn't give it to me. I got over it in a few days.

My cousin's dad took the dummy off her and threw it away!!!! :haha: She didn't speak to him or go to him (she was two or three) for DAYS and DAYS!!! :haha:

But then she got over it.

On the mattress front I am sure there was another thread, either here, 3rd tri or Pregnancy club on the best types of mattress.
I had my son on a normal "moses basket" mattress as was my daughter who died, however I slept my daughter in a moses basket and now I prefer to use a crib at night and a basket only in the day downstairs when I am right there. This is personal preferance but the increased air circulation in slat sided cribs is a big bonus IMO. I did use a more expensive type of mattress in the crib for nighttime but of course when he was co-sleeping he was on my mattress (which admittedly was a very expensive memory foam one with hypoallergenic protector....*cough*) he moved from my bed into his own "big bed" at almost 18 months at which point I just used a quality sprung mattress.
I have already chosen a cot mattress this time with several layers of material, however as with everything else its down to personal preferance, before you make a final desicion have a look at whats avaliable and whats reccomended in scientific research. As with most things you can only TRY and reduce the risk of SIDS, you cant prevent it completely and not doing one thing or another thing on the list is not a death sentance to your baby. Its the same as not eating certain things whilst pregnant....may cuase harm, may not and so on.

On the own room thing, do what YOU want. Just because a person has had trouble with thier 6 month old doesnt mean you will, there are many reasons why it can be difficult to get a child to sleep in its own room and honestly noone can say "ooo its difficult past 3 months" because many thousands of people have babies in thier own room past 3 months, past 6 months, past 12 months and have zero problems. Thats not saying you WONT but its how you deal with that that matters. If you want to have your child in your room to 6 months then do so, dont be influenced by others telling you it will be hard, just because it was hard for them doesnt mean it will be hard for you (of course the reverse also applies!!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"