• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Dummies????

Jox

💙💙💙💝
Reaction score
Will you be using them???

This is my first and i have all intentions of NOT using dummies!! I believe they may solve a problem to begin with but think trying to ween LO off them would actually be harder!!

When i tell people, they just say good luck!!!

What are other peoples experiences or plans???

xxx

HAHA! I'm stuck in the middle of my mum who is fiercely pro dummy and my OH and his family who are fiercely anti dummy. :dohh:

I honestly don't give a cr*p.

I just know that apparently if you're trying to breastfeed then giving the child a bottle or a dummy can potentially mean its more likely to have problems breast feeding. :shrug:

On the other hand, a dummy at night time can apparently help with the child's breathing and MAY potentially be helpful to protect the baby against cot deaths. :cry:

So I honestly don't know. I know I had one and I remember CLEARLY the day my mum took mine away from me when putting me to sleep at the age of 3 and I CRIED myself to sleep in such anger and then I slowly just dropped off on my own self pity. haha! :haha:

I used to be well cute.

im exactly the same hun, i work in a nursery, and i see how attatched they get to them when they dnt even need them!!
im gonna try my hardest to steer clear but i know it might not be tht easy lol xx

Im wanting to breast feed plus i also think the baby cant be wanting or missing out on something it has never had before.

The only thing aswell about them having them thru the night is they will wake up crying if it falls out!!!!! so you could be up and down more times than needed just for the dummy!!!

Im steering well clear i think!!!!

xxx

hiya, my 1st had a dummy for sleeping from day one and when she was 1 we stopped her from having it easily, my second though never took to his dummy and i thought this was a good thing but babies like to suck and if its not a dummy in their mouth the thumb WILL go in instead, i have now got a 5 yr old who sucks his thumb at night, we have tried all sorts but dummies can be thrown away...thumbs can't, bump WILL be getting a dummy from day 1 just like DD
xx

hiya, my 1st had a dummy for sleeping from day one and when she was 1 we stopped her from having it easily, my second though never took to his dummy and i thought this was a good thing but babies like to suck and if its not a dummy in their mouth the thumb WILL go in instead, i have now got a 5 yr old who sucks his thumb at night, we have tried all sorts but dummies can be thrown away...thumbs can't, bump WILL be getting a dummy from day 1 just like DD
xx

yeah this is another reason I may go for a dummy. One of my cousins sucked her thumb till she was 11 or 12!!!! and her thumb ended up being smaller than the other one. :haha: Not really a major thing, but i think, after the breastfeeding is secure, i might just have the dummy for a while.

Also, my BIL does this really weird rocking thing when he's going to sleep which he does to this day (late 20s :blush:) and its obviously something he did as a kid to soothe himself.

Actually, I think I've just convinced myself I'm getting a dummy!!! :dohh::haha:

hence me starting the thread!!! it is great to hear other opinions as this is my first.

Most people i know have used dummies, My sisters eldest 2 did but her yougest who is 2 now has never had one and also never sucked his thumb.

I think ive got to admit that i may just have to wait and see rather than be dead against it.

xxx

I wont, I hate them. Fortunately OH and I are on exactly the same page and HATE dummies so there is no arguement over whether this one will have one or not. My son didnt and he doesnt suck his thumb neither did any of my sisters four (personally I think there are some serious comfort issues with children who suck their thumbs past the age of 3/4 but thats a wholeeeee other thread!)
I see a lot more thumb sucking in children who have had dummies than those who have not, although it does happen in both.

If a child needs to rock or suck to comfort IMHO something is wrong and needs to be addressed. A child cannot learn to rely on an inanimate object (dummy thumb blankie) or a motion (rocking, humming etc) as a soother, its not good for them in the long term.
Often thumbs go in mouths when weaning starts, it can be very easy to stop by supplying something better to chew on, like a cooled teething ring.

Im not saying those people who choose to and do use dummies are bad/wrong I have just had a choice and having done a fair bit in child psychology I have come to the conclusion that dummies are not something I want to include in my childrens lives, other people make the opposite choice for their own reasons and thats fine.

I wont, I hate them. Fortunately OH and I are on exactly the same page and HATE dummies so there is no arguement over whether this one will have one or not. My son didnt and he doesnt suck his thumb neither did any of my sisters four (personally I think there are some serious comfort issues with children who suck their thumbs past the age of 3/4 but thats a wholeeeee other thread!)
I see a lot more thumb sucking in children who have had dummies than those who have not, although it does happen in both.

If a child needs to rock or suck to comfort IMHO something is wrong and needs to be addressed. A child cannot learn to rely on an inanimate object (dummy thumb blankie) or a motion (rocking, humming etc) as a soother, its not good for them in the long term.
Often thumbs go in mouths when weaning starts, it can be very easy to stop by supplying something better to chew on, like a cooled teething ring.

Im not saying those people who choose to and do use dummies are bad/wrong I have just had a choice and having done a fair bit in child psychology I have come to the conclusion that dummies are not something I want to include in my childrens lives, other people make the opposite choice for their own reasons and thats fine.

Thanks!!!

Do you find it easy then not to use them???

Everyone keeps saying good luck but im guessing if you dont giev them then thats that. what can be difficult???

Thanks all for your comments

xxx

No way could i have coped without giving amber a dummy. Esp, when she had loads of ear infection, when she was ill. It settled her so much, it was nice to have some peace.

Amber isnt attached to hers, still uses it to go to sleep, once shes fast asleep its out. I cant see a big issue when day comes to completely take it away from her.
Im going to use dummy again, try to limit it bit less, try and wait till got BF'in sorted. We shall see.

I hate the idea of dummies, but have recently seen about the possible benefits for protecting against SIDS...

So I will be trying them, ONLY for proper naps, ONLY after breast feeding has a chance to establish (they suggest not using them for the first couple of weeks, but I need to check that?) and ONLY the "closer to nature" ones (from Tommy Tippee - which, supposedly, interfer less with breast feeding...).

I don't agree with using them all day and "to shut a child up", but strictly for naps because of supposed safety reasons sounds like it is worth a try...

QT

Haha! I just find it really odd that people have such extreme views on them. I wish I didn't have to make a decision on this one actually. I know someone's gonna get all antsy about it. Its just a dummy or a non dummy! Who cares? Wish everyone would just chill.

As for child psychology; I had one and I'm the sanest person I know! :wacko: :winkwink:

But joking aside, I REALLY don't think a dummy or lack of one can have such a lasting impact on a human. :shrug:

Hi

My best friend is the best example of a breastfeeder I know she should be taken and used as an example for all of the breastfeeding propaganda we get ;) anywho her daughter had a dummy at night and used the bottle when she expresser so her OH could have a shot and she breast fed for 5 month brilliantly only weaned as was going back to work so dummys dont necessarily harm breast feeding and they are good for breathing and better on teeth formation than the thumb and ahhhhhh what we wont do for a night sleep when the lo's come along ;)

Im wanting to breast feed plus i also think the baby cant be wanting or missing out on something it has never had before.

The only thing aswell about them having them thru the night is they will wake up crying if it falls out!!!!! so you could be up and down more times than needed just for the dummy!!!
Im steering well clear i think!!!!

xxx

this happened with amber, more of just a phase, tbh, up anyways doing night feeds lol.

oh and I have to say I will be using them and I really dont like them!

i wont be using one as i read in a breast feeding leaflet at the doctors that it can affect the baby's ability to latch on properly and make it harder for them to feed also i dont really see the need for one and i dont want lo getting attached to it can also cause problems with the teeth too if they have them for too long so in my opinon the negetives of them far out weigh the benefits

i wont be using one as i read in a breast feeding leaflet at the doctors that it can affect the baby's ability to latch on properly and make it harder for them to feed also i dont really see the need for one and i dont want lo getting attached to it can also cause problems with the teeth too if they have them for too long so in my opinon the negetives of them far out weigh the benefits

Actually a list of negatives and benefits would REALLY help me if anyone is able to add to it!!! What are the negatives? Other than it doesn't look great?
:thumbup:

Haha! I just find it really odd that people have such extreme views on them. I wish I didn't have to make a decision on this one actually. I know someone's gonna get all antsy about it. Its just a dummy or a non dummy! Who cares? Wish everyone would just chill.

That's people for you - get 100 people in a room and you will probably get 100 different opinions.... :dohh:

(so there is another subject to add to the "taboo" conversation list? Politics, religion and dummies? :haha: )

Do what is right for you and your child and ignore everyone else. :winkwink:

QT

It depends on my baby really! Kathryn used one for a couple months but then didn't want it anymore. When I was a baby I wouldn't take one at all! If it helps to soothe my baby then I'll give him one, though I'll avoid it for the first couple weeks cause I want to be successful with BFing this time and don't want anything to hinder that if I can help it.

My daughter was breast fed and had a dummy and she was fine with both. The dummy made her first few months alot more enjoyable as she was not crying all day. The first week she was born she did not have one and only did 2 things breast feed or cry. I have no regrets. She now only has it at night and sleeps through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"