E. Coli outbreak? Its effect on us woman with child?

Gnomer

Expecting number 2!
Reaction score
So I've noticed in the news there is nothing but e coli, cucumbers, and deaths.

I haven't the faintest idea what e coli is, other than it gives you cramps and the runs.

With this new fuss about it, the rare strain and the deaths, are you worried? I don't really know what to think!

Oh god I havent heard of any of them things (havent watched the news) x

Haven't read too much but just avoid cucumbers!!

Haven't read too much but just avoid cucumbers!!

According to UK news channels, they haven't actually identified the point of infection.

I just want to know the effect on us. Would it be just us suffering? or LO too?

im over in germany and at the min its bad here .... basically from what i have read and been told over here is basically avoid most if not all salad stuff ... its started off products from spain but now its anywere .......abd if do eat stuff make sure washed VERY good ..... im just going to avoid it for bit ...[/B]

Thank you!

Yeah i heard Germany has it really bad. I've just read that the UK only has 3 or so cases proven to contain the rare strain.
Salad is about the only thing i fancy eating at the minute. I suppose its time to change my diet!

Its quite nasty but i wouldnt worry just yet. Its basically food poisoning and you can also get it in faeces so some ladies get it by wiping back to front :dohh: but this one is a new strain that seems to be deadly for some. It causes a kidney complication that destroys red blood cells so people who catch it need bloodtransfusions. Its probably like swine flu, those who are dying frm it are vunerable anyway.

I am just going to avoid salad for a while, til they tell us mor, rather be safe than sorry

Its quite nasty but i wouldnt worry just yet. Its basically food poisoning and you can also get it in faeces so some ladies get it by wiping back to front :dohh: but this one is a new strain that seems to be deadly for some. It causes a kidney complication that destroys red blood cells so people who catch it need bloodtransfusions. Its probably like swine flu, those who are dying frm it are vunerable anyway.

Oh thank you! Clears up loads!

Weren't pregnant women high up on the most susceptible to bad reactions from swine flu? I might be imagining that though. Haven't got a clue about illness and such!

But yeah, i understand now. Yoink! Hopefully they contain it nice and quickly. Its so worry being pregnant!

Oh thank you! Clears up loads!

Weren't pregnant women high up on the most susceptible to bad reactions from swine flu? I might be imagining that though. Haven't got a clue about illness and such!

But yeah, i understand now. Yoink! Hopefully they contain it nice and quickly. Its so worry being pregnant!

yes. pregnant women do have compromised immune systems compared with normal but swine flu was particularly nasty for pregnant ladies, idk why. A girl died of it not too long ago here (her babyw as delivered whilst she was comatosed :cry:). Maybe about 1 month back?

I think you should be safe if you try and stick to UK produce and wash everything well. I have a cucumber I bought from aldi that doesn't say where it's from on it but I don't think I will eat it!!!

Im going to avoid salad all together for a while.

Is fruit safe?!

xx

My oh is a greengrocer and he's said aslong as the cucumber is british then we shouldn't have any problems. But it is scary though. Good thing I'm not a fan of cucumbers

I heard about this too,, quite worried as i am going to an all inclusive holiday in spain for 2 weeks on tuesday!

They haven't proven where it came from so I don't think you should not eat salad or worry about going to spain.

x

people in the UK dont need to worry!! the 7 people with it are all returning from germany and thats where theyve gotten it from.. dont eat german salad and youll be fine...

this is why i hate the news stupid scare mongering

There is no need to avoid all veg and salad, i think thats a bad idea! I shall be avoiding veg and salad from Germany, I prefer local produce anyway as its fresher and has more nutrients, stuff thats travelled and been around days before you eat it isnt as healthy, though there's still plenty of fibre and water which us preggo ladies need! Just buy local and/or check the country of origin, there's plenty of choice!

They think the outbreak is caused by vegetables grown in the ground being fertilised by animal faeces, (all fruit is safe unless you can thinkof one that may be grown in the ground that you eat with the skin on? just check its not from Germany!) Spain wants an apology from Germany as they odnt do that there. Anything organic has to have even the soil and the animals that the fertiliser comes from inspected, it is about the safest produce you can eat!

What bothers me a little is eating and buying sandwiches out i always have salad and not sure i trust just being told its british/local, lots of food outlets regularly lie about that as a matter of course anyway. Hope this helps there seems a lot of confusion about it. x

oops just to add for OP yes this particular strain of ecoli is a nastier food poisoning bacteria that can cause complications leading to death. Though Listeria is the one that particularly effects pregnancy (and why we are advised to avoid soft cheeses)
Ecoli can survive outside the body, if youre contaminated and then dont use antibac on your hands you can pass it on when preparing food for others (hence it can survive in fecal matter in the ground) and it can survive hight temp sometimes, up to 120oc i think, usually though the main cause is undercooked meat and unwashed vegetables. So wash it thoroughly anyway regardless of where its from.

If we start getting secondary infections here then we are in trouble as regards to the odds of getting it, and knowing what it could it be in :(

The new strain is resistant to medicine and is causing complications (not necessarily because people were more vulnerable - it's just that the new strain seems to be causing more of the complications than previous known e-coli strains) but there are NO cases in the uk other than those that have recently travelled to germany.

There is e-coli in your faeces, so anyone changing a LO's nappy could potentially give themselves e-coli poisoning if they don't wash their hands before prepping food, but you just go wash your hands - problem solved..

You can also get a UTI caused by e-coli if it passes to your lady bits from "poor hygiene" or other *ahem* "practices" that may cause transfer of bacteria from one area to another..

It's not the news scare mongering so much as it is those people who can't be bothered to listen to the ACTUAL news and just repeat what they've heard on facebook/on the grapevine/from great aunt mildred... :dohh:

If you are buying british I can't see there being a problem - you have to wash your veg anyway to reduce chances of getting listeriosis :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->