Early 30's TTC #1

We didn't get the car seat that fits in our stroller. We went with a convertible car seat. I have a dodgy shoulder so I doubt I could have picked up the car seat and carried it. Amelia hates the pram so most of the time if we go out with her DH carries her in a carrier. I think Amelia will be better in the pram when she gets big enough to sit up in it.

:hi:

wow, I love how much advice everyone has! I just want to say I love that our car seat clips into the buggy frame, even at almost 10 months old I still find it really handy, especially when he's fallen asleep in the car and I just want to pop into the supermarket without waking him up.

Same here!

Okay, so baby should be in the room with you for the first few months then. Hmmm. Here I was thinking that baby just goes immediately into the nursery. But it definitely seems like you gals had your babies with you for at least three months in the room...

We're about to rent a house once our NYC apartment lease is up this summer. We know which one it is and that the room-to-be-nursery is right next to our room - but like Rosa said, it might be a "long short walk" when you've got to get up in the middle of the night!

This new place doesn't have any door to close off the lower level of the house from the top and we have cats. Me and DH were just talking about what we were going to be do b/c we want to leave the nursery door open...But now (and this is such a "what an idiot, Soleil" moment) I think we'll just put baby in our room and close the nursery door at night. That way it will stay pud-free. Although I guess we'll have to figure something out once baby is a few months along. Anywaaaay. :dohh:

MrsPTTC - question for you. When you say that you have a cot top changer, is that one of those changers that slides on to the top of the crib? I saw one of those the other day and was wondering how cumbersome it was to keep putting the changer on and off when you use the crib? If it's not the same thing, no worries! :laugh2:

Ok, back to work!

Baby in the room is just easier since you'll be feeding him/her every few hours. And I read somewhere that babies sleep better when they can hear their parents breathing and even smell them nearby.

Some women have their babies in the nursery right away, it's totally up to you. With us, especially with the c-section (it was hard to move a lot), it was way easier to have him that close. My dh would get Jack up and hand him to me. I would nurse him in bed, hand him to dh, who gave him a bottle, changed him, and put him back to bed. Some nights, I would nurse lying on my side because I was so tired, which was nice. Can't do that in the nursery.

our pack and play had a little changer on it, which was nice.

we put our babies in the nursery right away, but i might have done it differently if we had just one baby and i was breast feeding. my mom stayed with us for the first 2 months and she would get up with me at night to help feed the babies so that dh didn't have to get up...he went back to work right away.

we didn't get a changing table, because we needed to save space (2 cribs take up a lot of space:)). we have a double dresser with a changing pad thing that sits on top. you actually clip/nail it to the back of the dresser so it doesn't slide around.

are you worried about your cats being in your nursery? we have 2 cats and they could care less about the babies. my one cat (the one in my avatar) likes to sleep under katie's crib, but they leave everything else alone. I was so nervous that they were going to jump in the cribs and try to snuggle with the babies, because they are curious cats but it hasn't been an issue at all.

we leave the nursery door closed when he's sleeping, just to make it quiet for him. (speaking of cats and doors...)

Our cat is not interested in the cot or the cradle. We have taught that she is not allowed in the nursery (we started this when we moved into the house so years before we even started trying) but at night we put our cat in the laundry because she starts bugging me for food when I get up feed Amelia and she doesn't let up so I have trouble getting back to sleep with her meowing at me beside the bed (3 or 4 am is way to early for her to be having breakfast :wacko:)

Soleil yep spot on, it goes on the top of the cot & you take it off when being used by baby. Because penny is in Moses in our room the changer top is on all the time (for now) a friend of mine had one (her baby's 2 now) & she loved it.

Re the cats, we have 2. We lock them in the kitchen/extension over night & during the day we keep the nursery door closed. I've already caught one cat in the cot under the changer top & the other curled up on the play gym mat :dohh: It annoys me I have to watch my back all the time but thats life with animals I guess. The cats have been kept downstairs for ages now as when we used to let them sleep with us one of them snores/purrs so bad & they'd jump up on you in bed in the middle of the night, sometimes soaking from the rain as they have a cat flap - very annoying! If we shut our door then they'd claw the carpet to get in so have to leave them downstairs! Little shits they are, though love them to bits! :winkwink: x

You gals are too funny with the cat stories. But, yes, I am bit worried about them sleeping next to baby. One of them loves to sleep with people and I KNOW that he would be in the crib with baby. He's a fabulous jumper and likes to be on humans. The other one would keep his distance, I think. But who knows? I just wouldn't want to lose a baby to one of my cats! Unimaginable.

I think I will go the baby-in-the-room route first, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I feel terrible about keeping the cats in a room at night, but if it comes down to it, that will have to happen. We close our door at night anyway; they're not allowed to sleep in with us. But they have the full range of the rest of the apartment. And, yes, MsJMouse, I would be harassed by one of the cats for food! I just know it! Ugh.

I really hope that the room next to the garage in the new place isn't too cold...because unless we can find some sort of contraption that our cats can't jump over (it's a bi-level house with no separating doors from the downstairs to the upstairs), they are going to have to stay in the downstairs room at night.

One other question on this - how often do you have to go to the kitchen when you get up at night to tend to baby? I'm just wondering because if we do set up some sort of screen at the top of the stairs in the new place, will I be needing to go to the kitchen in the middle of the night? Assuming I am able to breastfeed...

Questions, questions! :dohh: Thank you for your advice and patience! :kiss:

SB - I think MrsP already said this, but in the UK the govt recommend that all babies sleep in parents room until 6 months as it lowers chances of cot death - but who knows! Many of my friends move the into their own room about 3 or 4 months when they grow out of the moses basket. Not sure when we will move E into her own room.

If you are exclusively bf their isnt any need to go to the kitchen at all - although to be honest in those first few weeks I was there a lot to make strong coffee!! I also found that E wouldnt sleep anywhere but with one of us so one of us was always in the lounge then watching crappy early morning TV!

So excited for you.

And I forgot to say Congrats Sarah!! I love when people come back with news - especially good news :happydance:

The only time I go in the kitchen at night is to get a bottle of water if I have forgotten to leave one out. Or if I suddenly feel like I am starving. Seems to happen at times after I have feed A :wacko:

yep, I second that! Bf makes you so thirsty and hungary!!!!

SB, I never went to the kitchen in the middle of the night. Dh did though, to warm up bottles. Later, we figured out we could bring several bottles, prefilled with water up to the bedroom with us. We got a canister that holds pre-portioned powder formula, so we just pour it in one of the bottles and feed him. No need to get water, no need to heat it up, done. We'd bring all the bottles and dirty diapers downstairs in the morning. :thumbup: Even now, I bring up a bottle for the early morning (Jack usually wakes up between 5 and 6 but goes back to sleep) and one for the 8:00 time, so I don't have to go downstairs for a while. Like you said, hopefully you'll be able to bf. But honestly, it's nice to have someone else take the middle of the night feeding so you can sleep. :coffee: It's a tradeoff.

Ive had no need to go to the kitchen either yet sb. I keep a beaker upstairs with me & just refill it from the bathroom tap when I'm thirsty :thumbup: x

we do the same thing with our bottles that Rosa does...so no need to go to the kitchen

I think the kitchen question cropped up because I am getting up in the middle of the night now to eat. If I don't, I can't get back to sleep. So I was wondering if this midnight snacking, so-to-speak, was something that continues while you're up with baby doing his/her feeding. :haha:

I am so on the fence right now about whether or not I want to know whether Baby is a boy or a girl. DH wants to know. But I don't think I do. And this finding-a-name business is even MORE overwhelming than thinking about items for a registry/what we would need to have on hand.

DH came across a cool name today that we both liked for a girl. So I told him to find one for a boy. He said he's on it! :happydance: I find that all the names I like are popular/trending right now and I just don't want a very popular name. DH thinks we should go with whatever name we like, regardless of whether there will be two other X's in the class. Sigh... I am more concerned about the meaning of the name than anything else. I want it to mean something nice. DH, again, doesn't go with my logic on that one either. He thinks if it sounds nice and we like it, who cares what it means?

My trouble is, I wake up and like a certain name and by the day's end I've shot it down for one reason or another. [I especially come up with ways that children could use the name in a teasing way - drives DH crazy. He's like, I wasn't teased, you weren't teased, why would you think that our child would be teased?]. Sigh again...

SO much to think about! But I am really happy to pass the name finding project on to him. I was just feeling comfortable thinking about baby items. I can't handle the name thing right now! :dohh:

Sixteen weeks coming up! :happydance:

ooh, find out find out!! :yipee: :rofl: Are you sharing the names? I was also worried about them being too popular. Especially since I'm a teacher and know how annoying it is to have two of the same name in a class. (And yet we chose Jack :dohh:) Dh (name is john) was like I had a popular name and was fine. :shrug:

Can't help you with the kitchen thing. I'm too lazy to get out of bed if I can't sleep. :haha: Maybe keep some snacks next to you in bed so you don't have to go all the way downstairs.

Sb I totally appreciate the name thing, Baby P wasn't named for 3 days after she was born! :haha: It is harder not knowing the sex but I wouldn't have it any other way, was wonderful having that surprise at birth. If you're planning on having any more then all the neutral things you buy will be handy next time. I'd hate to waste money buying them all again for #2. Penny has a cot full of pink toys & a wardrobe full of pink clothes already as she's been spoilt by friends & family x

After we named Amelia we realised that her name has been in the top 20names in Queensland for the past 5 years :dohh: Oops!!! LOL Its been my favorite girls name forever so....

One suggestion I have for you SB is make sure your couch is comfy as you will probably spend a lot of time on it. I so wish we had a more comfy couch now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"