Early Scan Question

laurac1988

Mummy to Eden
Reaction score
Hi all
I have an early scan next week at 7+5 at baby bond.
My question is that I'm quite overweight (size 16-18), will they actually see anything externally?
I'm fine with internal - in fact I may just ask straight out of they can do internal rather than external as I don't want them to not see anything externally, me freak out only for them to see baby internally.
We had a loss last year. Only had anything but bad scans ever, so I'm really hoping this one will turn it around for us. Our loss was at 7+4, so making it to 7+5 with a healthy Chip would be an achievement

Ive had several scans and seen baby everytime past 7 weeks. I wouldnt think size matters too much as long as the bladder is full. Good luck x

At seven weeks Id say you would certainly see a heartbeat although I must admit that baby doesn't look much like a baby at that stage. I fondly refered to my son as 'my little blob' after my 7 week scan with him as that's just what he looked like lol. As long as you make sure your bladder is full I wouldn't say they would have any issues seeing your little one. Generally the only time Ive ever had issues with scans and needing internal instead is around the 5/6 week mark when there's not much to see.

Thanks for the reassurance ladies

I know baby won't look much like a baby. It's more to confirm that there's a heartbeat

I had a scan when I was 8 weeks + 2 and the nurse said to me that they usually only do an external ultrasound after 8 weeks gestation as often not much can be seen before this point. As I was at the cut off point she said the technician might do an internal one. In the end they decided to do an external one as I'm quite thin and she was able to find baby easily. So based on what my hospital said, you might end up having an internal one as you'll be less than 8 weeks. Hope it all goes well!

I had early scans with Sophie (6 and 6+3) and was a UK size 24 at the time. There was no trouble seeing her heartbeat at 6+3 :). I had a lot of adipose tissue in my abdomin and it was still fine.

I had an early scan at 7 weeks with last baby, and was an 18. Saw the heartbeat just fine with am external scan :) it's just a blob with a heartbeat, but it's magic!

I had a scan at 6+2 and saw the heartbeat fine. I was about a uk size 16 at the time. Also, I didn't have a particularly full bladder as i wasn't expecting to get a scan, i was just going to the diabetic clinic for the first time so it was a nice surprise to get the scan!

Honestly I think they could see baby. I'm a few sizes bigger than you and they've always been able to see with an abdominal scan, albeit not as clear so they ended up doing internal scans. But I don't think weight is really that big of a deal bc they go down to your pelvic bone where there's usually not as much fat. In my experience at least. It is pretty standard to do internals that early though so requesting it would potentially work if you think it would cause you less anxiety! Good luck :hugs:

I saw a heartbeat today at 6 weeks. The lady said I had an exceptionally full bladder which helped!

Drinking essential, i also had a very full bladder last week x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"