Early Scans?

Ethereal

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of ladies talking about getting scans at 8-9 weeks, I dont really understand because I have never had one before 12 weeks. Do you have to request one, or have special circumstances? Not really sure what I'm missing here but by my calculation I wont get one until the middle of July at least and I'm just so pissed off with not even knowing if baby is ok.

I had 3 previous miscarriages in a row before I fell pregnant with DD and this is my first pregnancy since I had her. I have PCOS and I just cant help but worry. I didn't get an early scan with DD, wasn't aware that they existed, maybe if I asked I could have got one? I'm just a little confused.

I think they are for reassurance. I didn't have early scans with my son or this one but I know how long it can seem to get to that first 12 week scan. Maybe ask ur mw

It's usually if you are having issues with the pregnancy hun, bleeding, pain, hcg levels not rising as they should etc. Even after my losses I wasn't offered one automatically. I was only refered to the epau after spotting and very low hcg levels. Some doctors will arrange them for reassurence if you have suffered multiple losses but usually if you have had a healthy pregnancy since the losses they won't agree. Alot of the time it does seem to depend on your doctor and what area you live in.

Im having one early next week at 8 weeks as I have paid to have it at a private clinic which I think a few ladies do for reaaurance. The only other time it had an early scan that wasn't private was with my second baby when I had spotting early on xx

Oh okay thanks for clearing it up ladies :flower: Xx

id love a early scan but my doctors wont c me untill im 8weeks and then they will start with booking apt then the scan

I have my booking appt a week today, doubt I'll get a scan. Just have to sit tight and hope for the best I suppose :(

I got an early scan because i had had 3 miscarriages in a row before this baby, plus i had had scans a few weeks before i was pregnant and they said my PCOS was bad so was put on metformin, they wanted to check everything was doing ok, that was when i was 7 weeks, but i asked them for the ask, if you dont ask you dont get :) xx

I'm not sure what the normal protocol is but my dr is doing a scan next week on the day I make 6 weeks. I have unexplained infertility so maybe he's being proactive? He also has me on progesterone suppositories and hasn't even done blood work yet (wish they would just do this already though). He's suppose to call me today when he gets back in office just to follow up.
Do you think if you asked for one they may give you one sooner?

As I understand it ,in the states it's pretty common for drs to do one at the first appointment at 7-8 weeks!!

Doctors in America like to do a dating scan at 8-9 weeks when the baby is still little.

I had one yesterday due to 3 miscarriages , April being my latest mkscarriage. It's not common having early scans.

Hi hun, I've always paid for an early scan as I just can't wait till 12 weeks to know all ok... Where abouts in Scotland are you? There's a good scanning clinic in Perth that do an early scan for about £50 I had two there with my last pregnancy. I now live in essex and most places charge well over £100 here xxxx

(FYI: I'm in America in case that makes a difference.)

My early scans are because I'm considered a high risk pregnancy because we have been taking fertility medications and did an IUI to get my little bean. I believe in America, no scans until about 10 weeks is probably the average (some at 9, some not until 12). If you are under fertility treatment then it depends on the office, but they're usually earlier.

I had been trying for almost 3 years and had to undergo various fertility treatments. So they do early scans and blood work etc to be sure things are moving in the right direction.

It's a very good thing that they think it's a normal pregnancy and don't see any reason to need early scans!!!!

(BUT: don't get me wrong, I can completely understand how having scans more often can sound... and sometimes be... comforting.)

I paid for mines privately. Was £90. I couldn't wait till 12 weeks!

As I understand it ,in the states it's pretty common for drs to do one at the first appointment at 7-8 weeks!!

Yep. I had my first ultrasound with DS at 9 weeks and I am having one tomorrow. I think the scheduling girl screwed up on mine though. She had said the don't see anyone before 7-8 weeks then proceeded to schedule me at 5+6. So there won't be much to really see. I'm hoping they reschedule me in a week or two to see the heartbeat since it will be too early for that tomorrow.

My midwife only does early scans if you're at risk for miscarriage (for example bleeding and/or cramping) or if you're showing signs of ectopic for reassurance.

I've paid for mine, £45
Asked my gp due to previous mc and couldn't get one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->