ebay are making me cry!

Brookey

Reaction score
Basically I put my BIL's car and lawn mower on ebay for him last month. I didnt really want to as we dont get on but OH already told him we would so we did it for him :wacko:

Anyway, I did see an email from ebay a couple of weeks ago but I get so many of them advertising things that I didnt read it. I also havent been on ebay since I sold those items.

Just been onto ebay and noticed I had a couple of messages...they were from ebay saying i owe them £83 in selling fees. They had originally charged me £1.25 but because I didnt pay it has now shot up to £83!!!!

Im sitting here in tears because I know its my own stupid fault for not checking earlier...i never sell things on ebay and thought id paid all the fees when i listed the items.

I cant afford to pay this much and cant believe how much they can charge in one month! Ive sent them an email to dispute it but know that im going to have to pay.

Its LOs birthday this month and was saving up money for his presents :cry:

You might not have to, I would give them a call too and really lay on the tears. They have NEVER done that to me and I have done exactly how you did! I didnt see a fee email a couple of times and when I finally did see it, months later- I just paid it. I never had late fees added.

IMO they shouldnt send so much junk mail, lol.

Call and tell them what you just typed, sometimes its easier by phone than email. They may at least reduce the late charges.

There are two layers of fee's on Ebay - your general listing fee, the one you pay up front and then the final valuation fee - approx 10% of the selling price goes to Ebay that one only gets added at the end of the auction.

I would get your BIL to stump up the fee's as you were doing them a favour and why should you be out of pocket!

Isn't the £83 ebay's cut from the sale? I'm pretty sure they charge something like 10% for sales (different from the listing fee)... in which case, you shouldn't be paying it, your BiL should be!

Oops.. just read the post above me! Yes... what virgo1971 said above is what I was getting at too!

There are two layers of fee's on Ebay - your general listing fee, the one you pay up front and then the final valuation fee - approx 10% of the selling price goes to Ebay that one only gets added at the end of the auction.

I would get your BIL to stump up the fee's as you were doing them a favour and why should you be out of pocket!

So could it be that the £1.25 was the original see but the £83 was the fee after the listing had closed?

It was a car and a lawn mower that I sold so I guess that could be why the fee is so high?

If that is the case then I will definately be asking BIL for the money.

For that amount it sounds like final fee's. Get your OH onto him ASAP - you should not be out of pocket and he should be bunging you a few quid for the time and effort!!

For that amount it sounds like final fee's. Get your OH onto him ASAP - you should not be out of pocket and he should be bunging you a few quid for the time and effort!!

Thanks for your help. That would make sense as ive just gone through the invoice and there is no mention of any interest or late payment charges.

Im such an ebay dummy!:wacko:

Thanks for your help. That would make sense as ive just gone through the invoice and there is no mention of any interest or late payment charges.

Im such an ebay dummy!:wacko:

No problem - and why were you to know if you hardly use it? Sounds like you were taken advantage of tbh. Some people ar just like that! Good luck getting your money back :hugs:

No way they'd put it up that high! It has to be because the item/s sold! I sold something on there... Owed £8 seller fees.. Just completely forgot.. I just got reminders, no fine.. x

They don't charge late fees :duno: - i have done it loads of times.

You get charged a listing fee, then 10% of the sale goes to eBay and then 3.4% goes to Paypal (assuming the buyer paid via paypal!)

I agree with the others - it's probably the selling fee. Have you already given BIL the money from the sale? If not, just subtract the fee from the final sale price. (And don't forget to subtract paypal fees too.)

It will be the final value fee.

Tell BIL (get OH to tell him) that he owes these fees, print out the invoice if needs be.

Yes thats your BILs responsibility, its final value fees, check the invoice it will say :), a friend of mine recently sold a caravan and was charged £187 in fees!

i hope your BIL coughs up if he has used ebay previously he would know.about these fee's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->