• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ebf after nipple confusion?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Hi all,

My lb is 5 days old and I planned to ebf but due to him having low blood sugars (he was tested due to me taking labetalol for hypertension) the hospital made me top up with formula. This seems to have caused us a problem as he very rarely latches now and in an attempt to make sure he feeds and gains weight I've had to resort to formula or ebm at home too. The mw who visited today tested him by puting him on the bottle for a few sucks and then latching him onto me. He would then take a few sucks and come off again so it looks like the formula bottles have made him lazy! Has anyone been in a similar situation or does anyone have advice? Its gotten me very down as I feel like a failure. TIA for any replies

I have no personal experience but i have heard many ladies overcome this with hardwork and the right support. You could always exclusively pump if you feel that may be better for you or even switch to formula. I personally feel that those first few weeks are so precious that you should make them as stress free for yourself as possible and just go by what feels right for you.

I don't have experience with nipple confusion but I did use a nipple shield with my little man as he had trouble latching on at d start. It's easier for them to latch but they still have to suck so not sure if its wud suit ur problem:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->