EBF baby's tongue white with dark patches

seabean

Reaction score
My son is 8 weeks old and breast fed. He has had white residue on his tongue (not anywhere else in his mouth) for a month or so now and at the last visit the Dr. said it was just milk residue. The past week or so we've noticed that the white coating also now has darker patches on top of it - like blackish/blueish. It kind of scrapes off but it's hard to get my son to open his mouth to let me do so. He has never been on antibiotics.

I'm pretty confident that the white patch is just milk residue and not thrush, but the darker patches are worrying me. Is it just lint? Mold? Anyone else have this?

Have a look on google at geographic tongue, my son has it and it sounds a bit like it. He has patches on his tongue with white bits which come and go. xx

Thanks for your response! It doesn't look like what he has at all though. His is not the tongue itself, but like a layer of stuff on top of the tongue that can be mostly scraped off.

I just wanted to give a follow-up to my post for others out there - my husband and I tried to scrape off the dark patches on his tongue and it ended up being just LINT! It was a few little clumps of fibers stuck onto his white milk residue. They match his blanket that we snuggle him with when he is in his swing and for tummy time. It makes total sense now and we are done freaking out! :)

Glad he's okay! Sorry, I did just have a little chuckle :haha: A bit like the time I thought there was blood in Joni's nappy but then I remembered the red wrapping paper she'd eaten the day before xx

Is the milk residue thrush? I know you think you have it all sorted but sometimes it can be thrush, especially if it can be scraped off? :shrug:

Is the milk residue thrush? I know you think you have it all sorted but sometimes it can be thrush, especially if it can be scraped off? :shrug:

His Dr said it was milk residue called "milk tongue" at his 1 month visit. We do have his 2 month visit on Friday, so we'll follow-up again to just be sure :thumbup:

I just wanted to give a follow-up to my post for others out there - my husband and I tried to scrape off the dark patches on his tongue and it ended up being just LINT! It was a few little clumps of fibers stuck onto his white milk residue. They match his blanket that we snuggle him with when he is in his swing and for tummy time. It makes total sense now and we are done freaking out! :)

Thanks for posting this. My baby is 6 weeks old. I started to notice a lot of black mark all over her tongue (over the white coating of milk residue). After reading this I tried to scrape it off and it was also lint!
It took a few goes to get it all off as it was also right at the back.
So glad I can stop worrying and don’t have to take her to the Gp, or get any treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->