Ectopic - Surgery vs Methotrexate

oh, it's not a matter of them "not wanting", i thought it was that, my bad

then i would do what your body recovers fastest from, which is probably the surgery.
with the methotrexate you're out for at least 3 months, with surgery i think you'll be healed quicker

I had my entire left tube removed and i still had to wait 3mths before ttc again so u heal no quicker through having surgery. being "out" for 3mths is not a bad thing though as during that time your body and mind are healing ready to deal with a new pregnancy and 3mths goes fast ;-)

2016- hope it goes well as can be expected for you today and il be looking for a update. xxx

I agree with you, I was told I didnt have to wait but in reality its major abdo surgery and it took me 4 mths anyway to get back to normal ( as much as we were "trying" from about 7 weeks after).

You do need time to recover and you dont want another pregnancy stretching a post operative sit. I dont think surgery is the quick answer.

Best of luck 2016. XXX

Glad you have decided and you seem upbeat ( as upbeat as you can be in this situation)

Best of luck for surgery. XXX

So sorry babes in April of last year I had the same decision to make as I had my second ectopic 6 years apart. I chose the surgery too as I couldnt handle the heartache and pain that came with having another ectopic. 1 is more than anyone should have to deal with. I know it will be hard but there are so many wonderful success stories of ladies with one tube going on to have lovely babies. So glad they are gonna do the dye test while they are in there my dr did the same thing and said all was fine with my other tube. I am here if you ever need to talk about anything. Thinking of you.

surgery it is then!!!

ok, i don't understand something... if they say they're going to see if your one tube can
collect from both ovaries, does that mean they reposition one ovary or something?
i can't imagine your tube switching left-right-left-right all the time hehehe, so how does
that work exactly?

yay for free IVF if needed to be... but we hope not... right? or would you like IVF?
the thought crossed my mind tbh, i mean, we KNOW we can make kids, it's just a matter
of having a good egg and a good sperm meeting eachother...you know, kinda to push things along a bit

Tiny,
From what my dr has told me the tubes are like little jiggly straws and everything is all kinda mushed back there together anyways so it is very common for your tube to pick up the egg from the side that doesnt have a tube. It just kinda floats around back there waiting for an egg from either side. I guess it can kinda sense it when an egg is near. Crazy isnt it.

2016 my dr and I discussed starting clomid again but I opted to try soy just to hopefully help me ovulate on my good side there are so many different options that dr will have.

I don't think surgery is the "quick" answer :rofl:
I had surgery 6 months ago and was walking round an aquarium (on painkillers mind you) 2 days layer. We were also back to BD 10 days later. Ok so they didn't remove the tube but they did remove a tennis ball sized ovarian cyst on the opposite side so it was pretty major. Also a year before that I had my gallbladder removed (which the FS said was comparitively more serious than having a tube removed...and I was back horseriding a week later.
All I know is I recover quite quickly from surgery and I am just hoping I do the same this time.

Tiny...yeah I was surprised to learn the tubes/ovaries aren't out to the sides lik in the pictures. Some women have been left with only one ovary on the opposite side to only one tube and still fall pg! And yes I would quite like IVF. Again, definitely not an "easy" option but I will be pushing for it asap if my left tube is defunct!

Puppy....I have heard so many people have success with clomid. I have taken soy a couple of cycles because I ovulate a bit late, but it never seemed to make any difference to my cycle. The docs have all said clomid is not my answer because I produce good follies and ov just fine.

So tired...going to bed. Hang in there body!

Yes I am testament to clomid boosting the good side, plus as puppymom say the egg can travel over.

Thinking of you hun. XX

2016, i am glad they have sorted it out for you and i honestly believe surgery is the best option as u wnt live in fear of repeat ectopic as u would if that damaged tube remained. horrible and sad to go thru but pray u get a bfp soon and i think its great news about the tubal dye test and then 3 shots of ivf if any issues ;-) just means u have a backup plan should u try to conceive for longer than u want to. My dr said if we have not got pg within a yr, they will also offer us 3 shots of ivf for free too.
Just all helps to knw we have a great shot at being mummies ;-)

I hope the surgery goes well and u recover quickly. Thinking of you xxx

Yes I am testament to clomid boosting the good side, plus as puppymom say the egg can travel over.

Thinking of you hun. XX

martine31- how many cycles of clomid did it take for you to get pg? i was on it a few yrs ago when my pcos was playing me up and i O'd on 50mg back then. Obviously my fertility improved as i got pg naturally but with only 1 tube want to give anything a shot if im not pg within 3-4mths time x

I got pregnant 2nd cycle. I was ovulating but it was just to increase the chances of ov on good side. X

2016 I'm glad the decision has been made, atleast you have a concrete plan now and can move forward. I will be thinking of you hun x

Hello. I would like to start by saying I am very sorry about this unfortunate situation. I too have had an ectopic pregnancy. I received two shots of methotrexate and still ending up having to have my left tube cut in half due to the fetus continuing to grow. I cant give you advice as to whether or not you should get the shot or surgery but.......

I will tell you to keep the faith and stay positive. I thought I would never be able to have children but I am pregnant and expecting in November!

I wish you the best of luck

I was faced with a simular situation only the option of methotrexate was AFTER the op because my levels still continued to rise! :( I refused it ..wasn't interested and my instinct was right my levels started dropping on their own.

Also I knew someone who lost their tube from an erupted ectopic and emergency operation, lost her tube and at the time had one child ...now has 3!

I see you have made a decision and Im not sure if theres an bigger updates but sending a little cyber huggle anyway.

Good luck

x

Surgery will probably happen at 5pm today. Wish me luck!

Good luck hun. Will be thinking of u and wish u a speedy recovery xxx

Im really glad you had such a useful meeting with a good consultant, thats great news, Im glad they have sorted the surgery so quickly too - now the decisions have been made you and know what you have to do.

will be thinking of you later

Hormone levels in blood have dropped! They were hcg 356,progesterone 7 a few days ago...now hcg 136, progesterone 2.9!!!!!
Surgery cancelled (for now). Just going to have a scan to double check.
Can't believe it! Think the disgusting Chinese herbs and accu might have helped! :yipee:

Of course that does leave the question - what do I do with a dodgy right tube? The consultant said this ectopic would probably block the tube permanently so it hopefully won't cause more probs. I do worry though that my body always uses that tube and will continue to do so but the poor eggy will never meet the :spermy:.

Blinking heck my body is annoying! :grr:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->