ECV or just go ahead with scheduled c-section?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
I also posted this in the Third Tri section, but then saw that there was a spot dedicated just to c-sections, so thought maybe I could get some advice here :)

Just wondering if anyone has had ECV done before to try to turn their breech baby?? Was it successful?

I'm 38+2 with my first child, and found out today that he's a footling breech, so I'll likely be getting a c-section very soon. But they did offer to try to turn him so I can have the possibility of a vaginal birth. It seems the risks for ECV are low and the discomfort is manageable, but they are still factors I'm thinking about. Also, with him being a footling, my first child, already so close to my due date, and weighing in at an estimated 8lbs 6oz, it doesn't seem likely that the ECV would even work.

I had my heart set on a vaginal birth (hopefully without medication), so I'm a bit disappointed about the idea of a c-section. But a scheduled one is preferable over an emergency one. DH thinks that because he's a rather big baby and we'll know exactly when everything will happen, that the section is what we should just stick with, and don't try to turn the baby around just in case something goes wrong.

If you were in my position, what would you choose to do?

My daughter was found to be complete breech at 37w 5d, I had the ECV done. It was quick, only took about 5 mins all up, not painful just a little uncomfortable. She stayed head down at my water broke at 38w 3d, she was born in 4.5 hours with no intervention and just gas and air. She was a good size at 8lb 5oz..I had some minor tearing. My situation is a little different because she was complete breech so it is a more favourable position but I am so happy I gave the ECV a chance and I got a natural childbirth. The doctor was very good and they monitored the baby the whole time, up to you but I would want to do whatever I could to avoid c-section. Either way best of luck and I look forward to an update :)

My son was frank breech. I KNEW he was, my midwife disagreed. I was 10 days over and went for an induction and mentioned my feeling to the nurse who was hooking me up to the monitor. When she got the monitor over the heartbeat, it's position also made her question it and she brought up the portable ultrasound. Sure enough, breech! The doctor came in for a consult and determined that he was actually frank breech. In my case though, I had a low fluid level also and with the frank positioning, we decided to not try the EV. I had a cesarean the next morning. My next baby, I went a week over, they had a dumb office policy about not being allowed to go more than a week over, so that was another cesarean. Now that I've had two, I can never attempt a vaginal birth again. Its against hospital policy at every hospital anywhere near here.

If I could go back and do it again, I would attempt the EV anyway.

So if I were you, I would try it. Nothing lost if it doesn't work, major surgery avoided if it does.

My son was frank breech. We tried the ECV but it didn't work for us :/ I would, hands down, do it again though if I had to repeat it. I got the epidural to help it and it took about 15-20 minutes of actual time (the doctor was kind enough to try three times because he'd go transverse and then just pop back up again x.x). Personally, I'm glad I tried everything I could to get him to turn before my csection. I know not everyone feels the same way but it was worth it to me. Also, I would try moxibustion. Its kinda weird and has no basis in science whatsoever but its been proven effective. Its worth a shot! I didn't do it because I had a hard time finding someone to do it but I did have similar results to the ECV when I applied pressure to my pinky toe. Sounds totally weird, I know, but its true! After a period of the treatments, he'd turn transverse and then pop back up again. Oh, also, have you discussed with your doctor whether or not you'd be a candidate for a vaginal breech birth? Its not impossible! I couldn't find a doctor comfortable with a breech delivery or else I would have. Just some thoughts!
I also don't regret having my csection though :)

Thanks for your replies! I went into L&D today for an assessment, and just him pushing on my stomach a little bruised it and hurt quite a bit. He mentioned about my anterior placenta maybe bleeding too...it all just freaked me out a bit, and I didn't go through with the ECV. I wonder if I'll be kicking myself sometime down the line though :shrug:

My son was frank breech. We tried the ECV but it didn't work for us :/ I would, hands down, do it again though if I had to repeat it. I got the epidural to help it and it took about 15-20 minutes of actual time (the doctor was kind enough to try three times because he'd go transverse and then just pop back up again x.x). Personally, I'm glad I tried everything I could to get him to turn before my csection. I know not everyone feels the same way but it was worth it to me. Also, I would try moxibustion. Its kinda weird and has no basis in science whatsoever but its been proven effective. Its worth a shot! I didn't do it because I had a hard time finding someone to do it but I did have similar results to the ECV when I applied pressure to my pinky toe. Sounds totally weird, I know, but its true! After a period of the treatments, he'd turn transverse and then pop back up again. Oh, also, have you discussed with your doctor whether or not you'd be a candidate for a vaginal breech birth? Its not impossible! I couldn't find a doctor comfortable with a breech delivery or else I would have. Just some thoughts!
I also don't regret having my csection though :)

The moxibustion has me intrigued! I'll check it out and see if the homeopathic clinic in our area offers it. As it stands, I'm booked in for my section on Dec. 3rd, but maybe my LO will turn himself around before then. Actually, he's wiggled into a transverse position the past two nights on his own and I can clearly feel his head and bum running from one side of my middle to the other, and then, like yours, he pops back up to breech. Lol, I feel like he's trying his best to turn :) There's only one doctor in my area who still performs breech births, and she's at a different hospital than the one I'm registered to deliver at, but even she won't do footling ones...just too high of a risk of cord prolapse, etc.

At our hospital they absolutely will not attempt an evc if you have an anterior placenta because its too dangerous.

This is why I couldn't have Archie turned and had to have a section. I wish I had pushed for natural breech delivery though x

I tried moxibustion at around 35 weeks. I only managed one session though as the following weeks growth scan showed she'd stopped growing and she had to come out. They also refused the ECV due to her small size and in a way I felt relieved id not had to make the choice. I had the planned section and although I felt disappointed in some ways, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and there were positives too - such as knowing when she was gonna be here. Good luck and you never know, baby may just shift :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->