eczma - for how long

mickey

Reaction score
hi guys, sorry 'bout still going on with the eczma :wacko:

I wanted to ask, for how long your LO suffered from it?

the books say it usually clears up by the age of two. I wanted to know from you guys what experience made :baby:

thx a lot :hi:

It depends on type/ severity.
DS had severe eczema which lessened by 12 minths but only in past year has it started to go so i'd say about 5.5 to 6 yrs old.

DD1 gets odd patches now & again & is 3

DD2 is nearly 1 and again is just odd patches now & again. Was quite mild to us initially but settled to odd flare up by 6 months.

Hope this helps.

my DS is 3 in may, he used to get it on his face but that has cleared up but he still has body flare ups. Im still using 0.5% hyrocorsitine steroid on a daily basis as well as hydromal creme.
Im wondering if we are going to be going through all this with the next baby? I expect so.

oh gosh, in hospital they told us, it is mild eczma and it is itching her so much already! I am wondering how a case of severe eczma will be then!

I can feel for you guys :hugs:

another problem is, that everybody says something else what you should/can use!

so I think it is just a way of trying to find out which creme really helps then, isn't it?

did you use the steroid creme from beginning on as they gave us a low dose steroid creme in hospital as well, but OH is not keen on using it at all, as it makes the skin to become thinner!

Different creams work for different children.

I also found that over time creams became less effective/ made worse.

Currently using epaderm. Bit like vaseline but very effective.

The most important thing/s to remeber are:

Keep skin as moisturised as possible, use emolient at least twice a day

Don't over bathe baby, as it dries the skin. Top and tail daily then bath 1 -2 times a week.

Steroid will only thin the skin if used excessively for prolonged periods.

If starting flare I always use for 2-3 days till clear then up the emolient for a week or two, and drop no of baths.

Its better to treat @ initial flare up, as will use less for less time. Also if leave will get itchy lo will scratch and the it can get infected.

DS lived in babygrows for roughly first year as otherwise he lifted his trousers and scratched legs till they bled.
I'm so glad its gone and that my 2 girls don't have it as bad.

Hope this helps and lo eczema settles soon.
Take Care
Caroline.

i still have it an im 21, chloe has is too :( i hope she grows out of it

I still have it too and im 27 Its not half as bad as it was though, Kai gets it now too. Hope ur LO grows out of it!
xx

thx guys :hi:

Different creams work for different children.
Currently using epaderm

epaderm makes the affected areas colourwise red like raw flesh again :baby:

we found out that if we keep her body cool it is getting better. but now, I am always worried that she catches a cold though :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->