Eggs??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by jiggerlypuff, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jiggerlypuff

jiggerlypuff Well-Known Member

all I want to eat at the moment is boiled eggs that are runny with soilders, but I can't remember if I have to be careful when it comes to eating eggs?
    advice pls???

2. Coffee Lover

Coffee Lover Mum of 3, Expecting No. 4

3. stouffer

stouffer Well-Known Member

Hard boiled is the advice unfortunately :(

I'm dying for a runny egg.

4. Leeworthy

Leeworthy Well-Known Member

My wife has eaten runny (over easy) eggs for weeks now, and hasn't had any problems, although ours are farm fresh from our own chickens, not sure if that makes the difference.

5. Tampa

Tampa Guest

No runny eggs is what my book says - risk of salmonella/listeria? I'd love a runny fried egg sandwich with brown sauce :(

That's why we're not to eat homemade mayonnaise too. I was wondering about squishy chocolate brownies, I suppose they are uncooked in the middle hence the texture? And also carbonara?

6. Wind

Wind Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the others are correct. Runny is out. I am dying for some over easy eggs on toast. ~*~sigh~*~

7. TadpoleandI

TadpoleandI Well-Known Member

yep boiled only for now:nope:

I have start to write a menu for everything I would eat if I could. It changes day to day but helps me deal with the need.

8. Maman

Maman Guest

good quality eggs i beleive arent too much of a problem. i know eggs like clarence court eggs come from chickens that are vaccinated i wouldnt do it every day but if the craving just wouldnt go then id have one.

9. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

in the UK so long as they are Lion stamped they should be ok but its up to you, the risk is small from one egg but the consequences are potentially disasterous

theres a sticky link in the top of pregnancy club that has a do/dont food list

10. LittleMum

LittleMum Mum to 22 mth old and ttc

I've been eating lots of eggs cos doc and mw said that they're good for the baby!
    I just fry mine and then turn them over before I dish up so that the yolk is still a bit runny but the white is completely cooked all the way through!
    It's raw egg whites that are the really dangerous bit, UK lion stamped eggs with runnyish yolks should be fine though

11. Tampa

Tampa Guest

After all this chat I just had a huge omelette with loads of cheddar and Philadelphia on it. Nomnomnomnomnom! All cooked, and all tasty. :) x

12. jiggerlypuff

jiggerlypuff Well-Known Member

thx for all the advice, I'm dying for runny eggs but have decided to avoid for the moment as still under 12 weeks, why is it when ur pregnant you always want what you can't have!! lol

13. Perfect_pink

Perfect_pink Well-Known Member

I have had dippy eggs and soilders just make sure the white is cooked and not slimey, i wouldnt have it everyday but occasionally isnt gonna hurt and as for fried eggs like one of the other girls said i just flip it over tillthe tops cooked but still runny in the middle !

14. Clobo

Clobo Proud Mama!!

Hi

My midwife told me runny eggs are fine as long as they are "salmonella-free" and I found this link below ...

https://www.netmums.com/food/Eggs_for_breakfast_lunch_amp;_supper.300/

Buy Lion stamped eggs - these are inoculated against salmonella.
    Buy and eat very fresh eggs - the longer eggs hang around the more any salmonella bugs present will multiply.
    Store eggs in the fridge after purchase.
    Avoid cracked and dirty eggs.
    Cook eggs thoroughly especially for children under school age.

15. allaboard

allaboard Well-Known Member

I think the point about eggs (and products that may potentially have eggs in like coleslaw) is that they must be pasturised...pasturisation takes place at 142 degrees for 3 and a half minutes or 5 for jumbo eggs. Given that eggs begin to cook at 160 degrees, and scramble at 180 degrees, they therefore don't need to be hard boiled all the way through and can appear raw actually but still pasturised and free of bacteria such as salmonella. I've recently eaten homemade ice-cream made with "raw eggs", and also poached with a soft middle....yummy x