Elective section hospital bag list

SarahP13

Mummy to a princess :-)
Reaction score
Hi, I'd really appreciate some feedback on my hospital bag list please!
I'm having a section next Friday (11th) and I'm terrified. I had a long labour with DD1, a traumatic emcs and was very poorly. DD2 was a natural birth but I was rushed to theatre immediately after with a huge blood loss. Hence my elective section this time round. I'm really nervous and so I'm trying to busy myself with things I can control I guess.

A lot of things on my original list are not needed as I won't be labouring. I expect to be in for two nights and OH/my mum can bring in extras if I need them.

So here's my list of you don't mind looking it over! Thank you.

Hospital bag

Maternity notes
Nightie/pj's/sleep bra
Dressing gown
Slippers
Socks
Underwear
Snacks/drinks/magazines
Handheld fan
Toiletries bag
Vaseline
Hairbrush & bands etc
Lansinoh
Hand towel
Breast pads
Maternity pads
Going home clothes
Pillow
Phone charger
Hair dryer

Baby bag

3/4 baby vests
3/4 baby grows
Soft toy from Mummy & Daddy
Blanket
Nappies
Cotton wool
Nappy bags
Hat
Cardi
Muslins

OH will also pack a bag with a spare tshirt, snacks, drinks and change for car park/vending machines!

Hospital bag

Magazines - I know I didn't have time for this. Sleep as much as you can!!! I regret not sleeping enough. This time I told DH I am sleeping every second I can get. My lo was feeding off and on around the clock.

Handheld fan - Not sure about this, the temperature in our hospital was great.
Pillow - Only if you don't like the ones the hospital has.

Baby bag

3/4 baby vests
3/4 baby grows - I don't know the difference between a vest and a gown (it must be different in the UK) but I would just say one set of clothing per day. They really don't get dirty.
Soft toy from Mummy & Daddy - If you like but the baby doesn't need it. I would hate to loose or forget a special gift at the hospital.
Blanket - Our hospital had all you ever need.
Cotton wool - Not sure what this is.
Nappy bags - If this is to put dirty diapers in then I just used the garbage.
Cardi - If this is a sweater then we didn't need it. The hospital kept lo wrapped in a blanket the whole time so it would be way too much to put on, clothing, sweater and wrap in a blanket.
Muslins - I didn't use these. The hospital gives you cloths and blankets.

I think that you have all you really need. I know I didn't have much time for doing much. They will also want to get you up and moving ASAP and you will be on pain meds. I am not sure that you will be too motivated to do much. Most of the time you won't even be able to stand up much.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm guessing that you're in the US? The hospitals in the U.K don't seem to provide as much as they do in the US, we have to take a lot in ourselves. Pillows are in short supply, they don't provide muslins (burp cloths?) and the blankets are often quite old and scratchy! Also the wards are ridiculously hot and stuffy- hence the fan!

The magazine is really in case we have to wait around to go down to theatre. The baby cardi is more for the journey home. Cotton wool is like a cosmetic pad? The type you might use to take your make up off with. I don't like using wipes on newborn skin, they tend to encourage us to use water and cotton wool for nappy changes initially.

I'm expecting to be in for two nights so have three outfits planned for the baby plus one spare. A vest is a short sleeved underlayer with poppers between the legs. A babygro is like a onesie, long sleeved with long legs and feet usually.

Thanks for your feedback. I was worried I might have forgotten something but I think I might have everything! It's actually all fitted into two smallish bags (one for me and one for baby) so doesn't look like too much.

I know what you mean about the hospitals being so stuffy, I think I was the only one with my fan on next to me when I had DD2 but this was in September, I'm a bit concerned about the warmness on the wards this time as I'm due next month and I know no fan will be provided in winter, I've always been one to get hot easy.

All I'd say would be more vests and and sleep suits but you said that OH and your mum will bring extras, just when I was in having DD2 with elective section and in for 2 days the midwives were going through loads of baby's clothes and we run out so had to have hubby buy some more.

I wish you all the best for Friday :D

I know what you mean about the hospitals being so stuffy, I think I was the only one with my fan on next to me when I had DD2 but this was in September, I'm a bit concerned about the warmness on the wards this time as I'm due next month and I know no fan will be provided in winter, I've always been one to get hot easy.

All I'd say would be more vests and and sleep suits but you said that OH and your mum will bring extras, just when I was in having DD2 with elective section and in for 2 days the midwives were going through loads of baby's clothes and we run out so had to have hubby buy some more.

Both of my girls are winter babies but I was glad of the fan with them. It's the stuffiness that gets me, feel like I can't breathe sometimes! Someone suggested a fan to me when I went in with my first and I put one in not sure that I'd use it but I'm so glad I had it. It's just a small, handheld, battery powered fan. I'd get one if I were you!

I've put aside extra clothes for baby, nappies and maternity pads for OH to bring in if needed. Mums good at sorting things too if I need something, she'll happily raid my cupboards for anything I may decide I need!

Three days to go!!! As my 5 year old says every morning! Good luck to you too for next month.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm going in for an elective section a week today and I have not had a section before, both my girls were vaginal.

I may steal some things from it :) xxx

I'm glad you posted this, I'm going in for an elective section a week today and I have not had a section before, both my girls were vaginal.

I may steal some things from it :) xxx

Feel free, I pretty much used a bunch of other peoples lists! The lists at the top of the third trimester page are pretty good but obviously include loads of labour stuff.

Good luck with your section next week!

Both of my girls are winter babies but I was glad of the fan with them. It's the stuffiness that gets me, feel like I can't breathe sometimes! Someone suggested a fan to me when I went in with my first and I put one in not sure that I'd use it but I'm so glad I had it. It's just a small, handheld, battery powered fan. I'd get one if I were you!

I've put aside extra clothes for baby, nappies and maternity pads for OH to bring in if needed. Mums good at sorting things too if I need something, she'll happily raid my cupboards for anything I may decide I need!

Three days to go!!! As my 5 year old says every morning! Good luck to you too for next month.

Thank you. Yeah I think I'll put a handheld fan on my list of things to get :)

Knickers that sit ABOVE the scar!! Like high waisted nana knickers.
Water bottle so you don't have to reach to get a drink you can keep the bottle in the bed

Following this thread also as I'm hoping for an elective section this time after emergency section last time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->