Elevated Prolactin?? Anyone?!?

May55

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I JUST got my BFP on Saturday and what a complete shock.. I took 4 tests, clearblue digital says 2-3 weeks so 4-5 which matches perfectly .. here is my concern. About a month and a half ago i found out I have slightly elevated Prolactin,I should not have really been able to get pregnant...but i apparently am. Has anyone every experienced elevated prolactin during pregnancy? I didnt get treated for it as im on a waiting list. Will I likely have a miscarriage?! Hope someone can help :(

If you are breastfeeding you should be fine. If not you can easily go on medication like cabergoline in case it is still too high. Any endocrinologist can prescribe it, so try to get an urgent appointment. Pregnancy hormones "can" to some degree suppress prolactin production in pregnancy. But this does not happen for everyone and it can cause a miscarriage so it is good to get checked.
You can still get pregnant with slightly elevated prolactin btw.

My own experience: I was pregnant with a prolactinoma, a pituitary tumor causing elevated prolactin. I was on cabergoline until the end of my pregnancy and did not have a problem. I got off during the 9th month to be able to breastfeed. No doctor could really tell me if this would work so I just gave it a try.
Surprisingly, breastfeeding kept my prolactin in the normal range, and my tumor began to shrink. It is now very small and I am pregnant, still breastfeeding and without medication. I am getting my prolactin tested once a month. Even more surprising is that it further dropped with pregnancy. I am being studied by a group of doctors that works with la leche league since women with prolactinomas usually don't breastfeed. So far it seems it only had good effects for me but I don't know of any other cases studied. HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->