Elimination Communication Support Thread

Hi,
My daughter has just turned 1. Could anyone give me any starting points for EC? It will be part time, mainly letting her be nappy free around the house in the daytime. If I start making a shhhhhh sound when I use the toilet and she's with me or if she sits on the potty will that help? I've just ordered her a potty and I'm really keen to start this x

Hey there, hoping to bump this again! Anyone still here? Diggory I'm trying this out with my newborn and today she went over 12 hrs with a dry diaper, caught every pee and poop in the toilet just offering it at changes and waking up from naps!!

Hey there, hoping to bump this again! Anyone still here? Diggory I'm trying this out with my newborn and today she went over 12 hrs with a dry diaper, caught every pee and poop in the toilet just offering it at changes and waking up from naps!!

12 hours? How did that happen? Anyway, I have a toddler and we're still ECing. At this stage the line between EC and potty training is a bit blurry though!

Speaking of which, we just has a successful potty pee with a clear and intentional communication, woohoo!

I'm still around :hi: we started at 6 weeks and are still going strong, he's 9 months now, we do all poo's on the potty, but since becoming extremely mobile now, he doesn't stop to think about doing a wee and just does them wherever he is, thank god for wood floors :haha:

I know there are a few others that are still active here, so talk away :D

12 hours? How did that happen? Anyway, I have a toddler and we're still ECing. At this stage the line between EC and potty training is a bit blurry though!

I was surprised too every time I opened the diaper! From 230 am til about 3 on when she let out a poop with no warning lol the evening was hit and miss though but you can tell she tries to pee at every offering!

We do EC extremely light. He does his morning pee on the potty, and I offer during diaper free time but he usually doesn't go, just plays and reads while sitting there. His morning pee is pretty predictable though. Cute EC pictures:
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/breakthenight/IMG_2880_zps2c9f01c4.jpg

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/breakthenight/IMG_2885_zps6496ae2f.jpg

Offered potty this morning and Joey pooped and then crawled off into my lap when he was done. So proud!

Our pottying over the last couple days:
Saturday: 3 pees in the potty, one of which was accompanied by a poop. One pee in the diaper at nap time, and one accident in the evening (We are going diaper-free except for naps and public, this weekend).
At night: two or 3 pees in the potty and 2 or 3 diaper changes. (didn't count as well)

So far today: 2 or 3 pees in the potty (didn't keep track as well as the previous day), one of which was accompanied by a poop. No diaper changes. Nap has yet to happen for the day.

Anyone know of any signs that we're headed toward full-time potty use instead of her just being in a potty-use phase?

I've been doing EC since ds was 6mo and it was going great. After 2 weeks he would only poop in the potty and a lot of his pees were done there too. We really only used nappies for nights and going out and we almost never had accidents. However, sadly my MIL died over Xmas after a short illness and ever since all of ds's potty ability seems to have vanished. We still catch lots of pees and poos but it's more luck than anything else.

I'm feeling very disheartened by it. I had honestly thought we'd be taking the next step around now and stopping with any nappies in the day time. But the last few months have been absolutely full of disruption with lots of travel, new people, new houses, sad-stressed parents and even a night apart from me, so it's obviously taken it's toll on the little guy in this way.

So proud and amazed by my boy. Consistently getting 1-2 poops and 1-3 pees on the potty every day. Which is amazing because I am extremely casual about offering, only offer between one time and a few times a day and work outside the home. Seems to be trying to hold his poos until he gets potty opportunities. 8 months old and 2 weeks(maybe, just?) into pottying and already has better body awareness and potty skills than more than half of the 3 year olds I work with.

Sorry to hear you had a setback springer, I'm sure he'll get back on it.

I love hearing about everyone's successes. I'm also quite casual about it, but so far so good. She started out really strong but this week it seems like she doesn't 'try' as much each offering. Last week I'd get a little dribble of pee each time even if she didn't have to go lol oh well!

It's nice this thread is active again, I love EC and all the stories that go with it :D

Sorry to hear of your loss springer :hugs:

We were going great but Loki has started to get so mobile every time I put him on the potty he's like a jack in the box up down, up down, just to show me that he can stand without holding on it feels like sometimes :haha: I started taking him to the big toilet and hey presto it's worked, he's back to letting me know when he wants to go and get excited when we go into the bathroom, so catching poo's on the toilet and lots of wee's too, it's nice to be back on track :thumbup:

longing2bamum, my son is extremely mobile and active. What works for us is having a special book we read when he sits on the potty. Just a simple book, real pictures of babies which he loves, short and lots of cadence and rhyming to the words. He sits while we read through it 1-3 times depending on how big a job he is doing or how excited for the book he is. It keeps him sitting down and engaged while pottying. If your LO starts getting active and not wanting to stay put again, you could try a special book or toy he only uses on the potty :).

Also, 2 poos in the potty today so far- only been up for 1.5-2 hours! Yesterday we had a real good day 4 pees, 2 poops.

Things have gone down hill over the course of this week. I don't know if there is stuff going on for Violet or if it has to do with being in diapers during the week.

I'd love to do this but no clue how to start with my almost 1 month old. He always wakes up extremely wet and he's poopy at every change (he's breastfed, but I don't know if he's always poopy because of that or if its just him.) Should I wait until he's a little older to start?

I know it's beneficial to start early so I wouldn't wait! I also have a near one month old... How do you folks recommend starting? Diaper-free observation or just offering at known times... For us she would pee a river as you were putting a fresh diaper on so we started offering at diaper changes and then upon waking up from naps etc now I'm trying to figure out how to catch the 'during feeding' poops... I've been apprehensive about doing diaper free since i feel like she'll get cold, it's still winter here in Canada lol

I have a very hot baby, it's still winter here in the north of sweden, but he's nappy off at home a lot, although we have underfloor heating, I put nappy and trousers on if his legs are chilly. Also we started out with baby legwarmers, they were great, but mine is a chunky one so we quickly outgrew most of them, they were especially great for sitting on the cold potty though :thumbup:

We started at around 6 weeks, the sooner the better I think, i'd start from day one with the next one now that I have more experience with it all. We started just offering at nappy changes and at certain times like if we just got in, or when we got to the shops etc, he quickly learnt when he would get offered so would hold in his wee, he isn't a very poopy baby so no help with excessive poo's sorry, but everyone sounds like they are doing a great job with it :thumbup:

We just bought a new seat for our toilet today as the otherone seemed a bit flimsy, this one has handles, it's really good, and he seems to like it, no more potty for now, just wants the big boy toilet, so i'm going with it, see what happens :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->