Elimination Communication Support Thread

Hi Jodie82. I think at 9 months she would be able to sit on the toilet herself with a kids seat and just hold your hands. Ask her after you go if she wants to have a turn, not expecting her to do anything. Then if she is comfortable enough, try and get her to the toilet when she is showing her poop signs. Another way is just to get her to sit there as part of your nappy change. Try and make it fun with special toilet time books, games, songs etc. Let us know how it goes :)

thanks for the response :)
not sure I will find a baby toilet seat here anywhere though, I might just get her a potty for now. we spend part of every day out as well, what do you do then? I will have to use nappies then as we are out walking about for a few hours sometimes
will give it a go and let you know!

Great to hear all the responses and interest this thread has. we are now back to LOVING EC.. and everything is going wonderfully. LO hasn't had a poopy nappy in a while and he is holding his wee longer and longer too. :yipee:

I have a question about training pants, washable ones... when do you recommend starting them? The reason I ask, LO is a BIG boy and we are almost at the limit for the size of cloth nappies we have. We recently bought some one-size nappys and wraps. I love using that combo. but LO has such chunky thighs. I don't know if we will be able to find any much bigger, unless we go special order. But that costs a lot.
He is already stretching the limit of the size 4 disposables, which we use at night. And we have only been able to find up to size 5 here of those as well.
If LO continues to stay on the same percentile for weight and hight, we are going to have to find a solution nappy wise or go to training pants probably by end of summer at the latest.
I don't want to push LO and am just so happy with the progress we have made with EC now.
Any advice to my long-winded explination? :dohh: :flower:

I've already bought a few. I bought a fuzzibunz trickle-free and it didn't leak at all. I have some blueberry ones that I really like but they do wick if she pees in them. I'm working on buying a fleece one from a WAHM to test. I'll let you know what I think. I can't imagine that it would be a problem for your LO. Wouldn't be much different for him from the diaper I would think.

Serious question for EC'ers...I hold my son over a bowl for potty, with hands underneath his knees and back pressed/supported against my body...do you think this strains the joints in his knees? I worry bout this as sometimes he wiggles while I'm holding him like that and it SEEMS like it's straining them...I don't want to hurt a developing part of his body, is there a better way to hold? When can he use a baby potty?

canadabear- I think you'll find once your lo is on the move crawling etc he will slim down a bit and the nappies will fit better again.

Jodie.82- if we were out in the car, I would bring a portable potty and use it for nappy changes. I still used nappies.

Earthmama- I have used a potty since birth. I hold DS under his armpits with my fingers stretched to give him head support and let his legs sit onto the seat. I didn't like the position facing away as I couldn't look at him and give encouragement. DS will blow raspberries at me while I make the "pssshh" sounds. Feels like hes telling me hes peeing :haha:

I've had a bit of a hopeless day with DS, but DD has been completely dry for 3 days now. I find it so much harder when others are watching the kids for a while, or we are out and about...

Funnily It took me some German posts to get more interested in it and I think it is because of the 'clinical' name (like elimination, which makes it sound a bit commando and war like :haha:
I prefer the 'nappy free' as it is called in German as well.
I am not sure if I have the capacity with a first child but in combination with cloth diapering it surely sounds interesting.

Great to hear all the responses and interest this thread has. we are now back to LOVING EC.. and everything is going wonderfully. LO hasn't had a poopy nappy in a while and he is holding his wee longer and longer too. :yipee:

I have a question about training pants, washable ones... when do you recommend starting them? The reason I ask, LO is a BIG boy and we are almost at the limit for the size of cloth nappies we have. We recently bought some one-size nappys and wraps. I love using that combo. but LO has such chunky thighs. I don't know if we will be able to find any much bigger, unless we go special order. But that costs a lot.
He is already stretching the limit of the size 4 disposables, which we use at night. And we have only been able to find up to size 5 here of those as well.
If LO continues to stay on the same percentile for weight and hight, we are going to have to find a solution nappy wise or go to training pants probably by end of summer at the latest.
I don't want to push LO and am just so happy with the progress we have made with EC now.
Any advice to my long-winded explination? :dohh: :flower:

I've started my lo on waterproof trainers during the day when we're at home. I have the Flip trainer which is like a pull-on diaper; it's adjustable and quite absorbent. I haven't had any leaks even though it's still lose on my lo's thighs. I think it would work for you. It's really just a cover that comes with five inserts that Velcro in. I've also got a couple Ecapants and I love them but they're not cheap. I've got the stuff to try and copy the pattern. I'm hoping my lo will be ready for some non waterproof trainers this summer. It's so hot here and lo gets heat rash around his diaper area. I think if things are going well for you, then definitely try them. We do three strikes and your out, which means three misses and he's back in diapers.

Serious question for EC'ers...I hold my son over a bowl for potty, with hands underneath his knees and back pressed/supported against my body...do you think this strains the joints in his knees? I worry bout this as sometimes he wiggles while I'm holding him like that and it SEEMS like it's straining them...I don't want to hurt a developing part of his body, is there a better way to hold? When can he use a baby potty?

As a newborn, my lo hated the in-arms (classic EC position) so we supported him over a potty. He had really good head control since birth. But at 3 months he decided he hated the potty and preferred the in arms. So I would do whatever your lo feels more comfortable with. But I haven't heard anything about the classic position not being good for them physically.

For those of you who use disposable diapers and EC... if LO tinkles while your running to the bathroom to get there in time, do you change the diaper... or do you put it back on?

I am so confused as to what to do because they are completely dry to the touch but technically shes peed in them, it seems like such a waste to throw them out but I also feel weird putting them back on.. just wondering what you do.

For those of you who use disposable diapers and EC... if LO tinkles while your running to the bathroom to get there in time, do you change the diaper... or do you put it back on?

I am so confused as to what to do because they are completely dry to the touch but technically shes peed in them, it seems like such a waste to throw them out but I also feel weird putting them back on.. just wondering what you do.

Hi. I don't use disposables all the time, usually LO is in cloth.
TBH, I HAVE actually put a disposable back on LO even though I know he has had a small wee in it :blush: I feel bad when I have done so, but also I have to think of the cost. Plus, in my mind, if I wasn't doing EC, more than likely LO would wee a few times before changing nappies anyway. Obviously,t if it is a lot of wee, I just change it, but now that we have been doing EC since 4 months, LO does only a small wee, unless it's nighttime, in his nappy if I don't quite get him to the toilet on time.
Use your best judgment...:thumbup::flower:

Great to find this thread. I'm still only in first tri with #1 but have been a nanny for years and interested in trying EC with my LO eventually. It really isn't a new idea at all, in fact my mum and her brothers and sisters were all out of nappies by 14 months because my grandma did exactly this- to save her washing more old nappies!

I'll keep up with this thread over the year.

Hello all.

I just wanted to share my best EC moment to date. My LO is 4 months and we've been ECing (part-time) since birth.

Yesterday, whilst out walking with her in the sling, she started to fidget and fuss - this usually means she needs a wee as she loves being in the sling - so I popped her out, whipped her nappy off and cued her by the side of the footpath. Sure enough, she did a massive wee! Then I just popped her back in and had a happy baby for the rest of the walk. :happydance:

It was so satisfying! Also, nappy was bone dry (we use cloth) so I put it back on for her nap a couple of hours later!

I also wanted to ask some advice. We catch wees a lot and I'm getting pretty good at reading her cues for them, but she doesn't poo very often (maybe every couple of days) so I find it hard to predict and if I catch one it's usually more by luck (because I thought she needed a wee) than design. Do your LO's have different cues for wees and poos or are they just the same?

...and we're back to using the potty! I was able to catch 2 wees this weekend. I stopped putting her on the potty for a few weeks in hopes that she would forget that she was afraid of it. I also moved her completely out of our bathroom and into her own. Now I'm waiting on some fleece trainers and some pull up fitted that I'm having custom made and then I think we'll be all set. :happydance:
Next time I have a chance I'll talk with her teacher about how they can compliment what we're doing at home.

Hi everyone! We've started our LO on solids in the last few weeks; we're doing the baby-led wending approach and it's going great. He's eating really well, much more than I expected from reading the book. Consequently, his poop has started to change and is definitely getting thicker. He seems to be having a harder time getting it out since he strains a lot and turns red in the face. I don't know if it actually hurts him since he hadn't cried but it certainly seems uncomfortable. He has gone from having a couple of poops a day to now only pooping every few days. The last time he actually went five days between poops. I told him if he didn't poop the next morning, I was going to call the doctor. I guess he understood because he finally pooped. :) Whenever he starts straining and grunting I take him to the potty, but he only lets out a lot of smelly gas. I'm getting worried about him holding it. I know that he can because he always holds it when ee're out and about and has sometimes waited all day until we get home and I take him to the potty. But he's never held it for so long. I know it's not healthy and only makes it harder for him to poop the longer he waits. I try talking to him and telling him it's okay to poop, even if it feels different, but he's only six months so he can't really understand. I'm not sure what to do to help him poop more regularly again and not hold it. Should I give him prune juice? I've already cut back on the solids some. Has anyone had this problem when their baby started solids?

Pears are good for helping poo along. I think it is pretty normal to have a change in poo when starting solids and they take a bit of time to get used to it. It still happens when we have a day of eating more solids than usual. DD has been constipated to tears once after a big day of mushrooms.

Just have to brag for a momomet-- we just had two miss- free days (except for naps). I'm over the moon! Happy dance :happydance:

Jcg, that's awesome!

We're getting there. Isis will sit on the potty but doesn't pee much. She's really good at pooping on the potty, which makes me happy! I talked with her teacher at school and they've started to put her on the potty ther too. Mostly after nap and meals. I think we're on a good track. :happydance:

Wonderful to read how everyone is doing! And enjoying EC as well. :flower:

We are doing GREAT.. even to the point of not using a wrap with the nappy at home.. :yipee:, not all the time, but most days I just leave him either nappy free or just the nappy. Only had wee's at nap times and nights. No poops at all in the nappy..

though I have run into the problem of him not liking to poop in a strange toilet.. no problem with weeing, but he will wait until we get home and do a really massive poop right away.. he is SO uncomfortable up until then as well.. I guess I will just keep with it and eventually it will happen..

Hey ladies, I really need your help right now :(

I really want to EC, and around 8 months DD was always pooping in her potty, but now she is only pooping in her sleep, and if by chance she poops during the day, she doesn't act like she is pooping, like doesn't make noise or indicate that she is going, I just smell it and I can tell that she has went. And if by chance she does go, she grunts once or twice, and she is already done, I try and rush her to the potty but she is so quick to poop. What do I do? We haven't caught poop in the potty in almost 3 months now :nope: I feel like I am failing. Today I put her on the potty when I heard her grunting, but when I put her on the potty, she didn't go. I had her sitting there for 15 mins, but nothing. She's not unhappy on the potty, she likes it. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to correct this? Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->