Elimination Communication Support Thread

I'm going to try changing her diaper in the bathroom so she associates it. I'll probably still store her clean diapers in her room but the dirty ones will be in our bathroom. I spent nearly 10 minutes today trying to get 2 diapers on her (2 different changes). I can't believe how badly she did not want that diaper on. the only way I know to fix that is pull-on or going in the potty.

I have used pull ups for ages... the only other way is asking my dd which colour cloth nappy she wanted to wear and then she was happy to lie still a few seconds for me to put it on!

Funny story today... I thought my dd had an accident in her car seat. I saw her wet bum and skirt and asked her about it and she said... no mummy, its my drink of water :) I had given her a bottle of water and instead of drinking it she decided pouring it out would be a good idea. Lucky I had only given her a nearly empty bottle!

I was so relieved that it wasn't pee, because I had no idea how to clean the seat! I was also so proud that she remembered and could explain what had happened... We are still having a few accidents but getting there. I feel like giving in but then remember I just have to be persistant to finish this!

My son is also having a dry potty patch. I keep missing everything with him at the moment... Feeling a bit useless, but love my kids to bits and am so proud of how they are going.

Hmm, less toilet success today - he's realised if he presses the back of his head into my shoulder he can vault himself upwards, which entertains him but scares me! Fortunately it distracts him from peeing, or we'd have made a helluva mess of my inlaws bathroom!

we haven't been having any success with the toilet either, for a while now. :cry:
LO really gets upset, for some reason :shrug: so we haven't made an issue out of it.
He doesn't like to go in his nappy either, but only wants to go when we take the nappy off and he is laying on the change table :dohh:
So, I am thinking that we will get a little potty and put it on the change table. Then hold him on the potty, on the change table until he gets used to that and then slowly move the potty off the table and then into the bathroom.
I think if we just take it one step at a time, it will be much better. And, keep up with the communication part of course.

So, I am thinking that we will get a little potty and put it on the change table. Then hold him on the potty, on the change table until he gets used to that and then slowly move the potty off the table and then into the bathroom.
I think if we just take it one step at a time, it will be much better. And, keep up with the communication part of course.[/QUOTE]

This is what we found was easiest too :) I now have 3 potty and 2 toilet seats... I almost feel like I've got a fetish!!! One for each change station and the bathroom, and one seat for each toilet we have. Means I'm ready anywhere, anytime!

My dd only had one accident today :happydance: ...Getting there slowly

Also managed to catch one pee, and one poop on separate occasions with my son... dry spell over I think :)

Hows everyone else going?

We're not doing good here. She doesn't want to go on the potty. I need to bring her little potty back out and see if she'll use it but I'm pretty sure she'll just stand up and walk away. The seat on the big potty, she just cries until I take her off. I keep trying but its hard to think that there used to be days where I could catch many voids. Now she's full time in diapers. I'm still talking to her, bringing her in with me when I go. Maybe she'll decide to try again.

Hi ladies, it's been ages since I was in here, just thought I'd pop in to see how you're all going.

It's going really well for us. DD hates pooing in her nappy, and as a result we haven't had a dirty nappy for well over a month now :happydance: She starts to cry when she needs a poo (even if it's 5am!) and when I put her on her potty she poos straight away.

We bought a potty from ASDA and DD loves sitting on it, she sits chewing on a toy quite happily, I'm not sure how long that will last though!

The potty is part of our routine now, we've been doing it for a while now so DD doesn't seem know any different. When she wakes up I sit her on the potty on our bed and she'll do a wee or two, then she'll lie on her changing mat (or sit as of a few days ago :) )for a while, then she wees on the potty again before putting a nappy back on. We do the same routine for every nappy change throughout the day, and any other time we have during the day. We found that by sticking to the same routine she wees 99% of the time and holds it when she's nappy-less.

The biggest step for us is when she's lying on her mat having some nappy off time, she will cry to let us know when she needs a wee. It's been so long since she's wee'd on her mat.

Everyone is amazed by it but very supportive. We take her potty everywhere with us whether it's shopping or to someones house. DH's Nan was so pleased when she saw us ECing, she said DH's Dad was out of nappies by 12 months :)

Not so good for us lately. Not reading the signs right, even missed a few poos :-( she wasn't happy about that at all!!! I have noticed though that she's 9/10 times dry after her nap and then pees on the loo. I'm still putting her on the loo regularly but don't feel like she's going as much as she was.

Ugh, OH has been off work this week so he has been spending alot of time with LO. Because he doesnt want to do EC we havent had 1 single pee on the potty this week. What a big step back, hopefully she wont fight it when we try to get back on track next week.

I posted this in the toddler forum but maybe it is more relevant here since we have been ECing:
We are working on potty training our LO, but we have run into a bit of a problem. Somehow she has got it in her head that going wee is bad. When she starts to do the potty dance or tells us so we will put her on the potty. But the actual act of going wee makes her cry and she often will run to another room to do it alone in a corner, then come show us and say "Uh oh!" We have NEVER yelled at her for going wee or poo, we have been ECing since she was 6 months on and off. We think that her daycare must have put this idea in her head, since she insists on saying "Uh oh!" no matter how we praise her for going. We have even praised her for going on the floor or in her knickers, because we are just happy that she is recognizing it.

Has anyone else had a LO who was upset when going wee and poo? How can we reassure her?

(She never shows discomfort when going wee in her nappies or in the other room, just on the potty!)

I posted this in the toddler forum but maybe it is more relevant here since we have been ECing:
We are working on potty training our LO, but we have run into a bit of a problem. Somehow she has got it in her head that going wee is bad. When she starts to do the potty dance or tells us so we will put her on the potty. But the actual act of going wee makes her cry and she often will run to another room to do it alone in a corner, then come show us and say "Uh oh!" We have NEVER yelled at her for going wee or poo, we have been ECing since she was 6 months on and off. We think that her daycare must have put this idea in her head, since she insists on saying "Uh oh!" no matter how we praise her for going. We have even praised her for going on the floor or in her knickers, because we are just happy that she is recognizing it.

Has anyone else had a LO who was upset when going wee and poo? How can we reassure her?

(She never shows discomfort when going wee in her nappies or in the other room, just on the potty!)

Unfortunately I have not experienced this myself, but just from reading your post - have you tried putting her on the potty then leaving the room? She may just have an issue with you watching her go pee/poo so she is hiding from you.

Oh thank you for the advice! I hadn't thought of that, so we can try that tomorrow and see if she feels better with some privacy.

Hi Cheeselover, how are your homemade trainers going? I checked out the link for Katrina's patterns (thanks to whoever that was, I forgot) and want to try it. I ordered one flip trainer, but it's still to big for my lo, and its more like a pull on diaper than a trainer. I think I'm going to get an Ecapant and see if I can copy the pattern. But all this means I actually have to find time to sit at my sewing machine!
We've had some really good EC days here. Last week, we had two days where we went like seven hours with no misses, from about noon until bedtime. Mornings are still really hard because there's just so much pee, but yesterday I caught all the pees before his morning nap. But today, all that success seems like mere luck as we're going through every diaper in the house. We took him on his first camping trip the weekend before last and he did really well, better than I thought since we hadn't done much peeing or pooping outside before, but we only used 24 diapers in four days! His pooping schedule seemed all out of whack, from being in a new place, I guess, and I missed his morning poop twice (which we haven't missed for months) because it was so early in th morning. Anyway, he's really learning and staying dry for longer and longer.
Onwards and upwards!

I'm still working on the pull on diaper. I had a little time to sew on Sunday but made a fitted out of a prefold that I'll be turning into a pull on but not waterproof. So far though I haven't stitched the sides up so it needs a snappi. I REALLY need to sew the pull ons next weekend because its just getting harder and harder to get a diaper on her. She frequently is running around the house nekkid! Not that I really mind. I've made one version of the fleece outer but its too big for her so I need to take a little off the waist. I have the new pattern cut and I added a pad of zorb and flannel. That's as far as I got before someone woke up from her nap...

I think we may be making a little progress on peeing. She's now using the potette before her bath. She had been crying any time I put her on the potty. If I put the potette on the floor next to the bathtub on its little feet with something absorbent under it while her bath is running she'll go pee on it. I'm going to try her little potty again this coming weekend.

Sounds like shes getting over it Cheeselover! Yay! Well done... love how the running bath water makes her pee.

We went out for lunch and walking to the restaurant there was a drain with running water gushing. My lo ran over to it and within seconds she had peed... Poor thing just couldn't help it! She showed signs of needing to go as she was standing there, but I had nothing available so she had an accident. Was planning to take her once we were settled in the restaurant, but just missed!

So far today I've caught 3 pees and 3 poo's...and it's before noon. This is our first effort at EC and I feel so proud!

Hi everyone. I was on the thread in baby club but it has taken a while to get around to posting on this one.

I used to take DD every half an hour to pee because that's when she needed to go and I was so worried about not being able to do it when she went longer. Now she is going 45m-1h between pees and I am only missing a few a week which is fantastic. She understands when I sign 'toilet' and can sign 'no' or put her arms up for yes which is fantastic. So far no sign of 'toilet' herself.

I am having a lot of trouble switching her from peeing outside to on a potty/toilet. She will refuse to go no matter how much she needs to and as soon as I take her outside, she lets it all go as soon as I hold her in the position. I keep trying after her naps as that is when I can be sure she needs to go but so far, no luck. Has anyone else experienced that?

Rmar- I've not tried taking my lo outside, but maybe if you transition by taking a potty seat to sit on outside, and then slowly bring it closer to the house. Worth a shot?

Well done on catching so many! and to Earth Mama too! YAY!

I have had a breakthrough :dohh: finally figured out that when LO has been crying out at night it's because he has to wee ..:yipee:

LO went on the toilet again today.. FINALLY :happydance: and he is now holding his wee for along time too.. not wanting to go in his nappy.
Just so proud of him and he seems a lot happier too :smile:

It really is such an amazing feeling when the communication starts to really work between LO and I :flower:.. but mainly it is down to me paying attention and responding quickly to his need

ARGH!! I need some help. I'm really trying to be patient but for the past, IDK, nearly a month LO will not go on the potty. She cries every time I try it. I put her on the potette on the big potty, potette on the floor with a cloth wipe, on her little potty. Nada! I'm not going to push her obviously but is there anything else I can do? We're still trying every day when she takes her bath. Diaper changes are a disaster. I have to close her bedroom door or chase her around the house. I really was hoping she'd be using the potty more by this time not less.

Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->