English people - how much is your rent?

jenny82

Reaction score
Just to gather some information. We're in NI but moving to England at the end of the summer. I've been looking at rental sites for a few months now but the cost astounds me.

Currently we pay £850 for what I think is a pretty amazing home. We have 4 bedrooms in a good part of town with an amazing open plan kitchen. When I try to find something similar on zoopla or rightmove, we're looking at £1300+, but nearer to £1500 plus then we have council tax on top of that which we don't pay here (and water too actually and a deposit of £2000+). I don't think my OH is believing that I am showing him. He will be making more money over there to cover the cost, but I don't think we expected the cost to be *that* much more :wacko:

So is that about right or am I going mad?

I pay £525 a month for a semi detached 2 bed, 1 bathroom, 1 living room, kitchen/diner, conservatory, small back and front gardens and a drive.

It depends a lot on location. X

I pay £595 for a two bed semi in a nice part of town, but it is very small, it has gardens and a garage, one bathroom, but like I say it is tiny really for what we pay a month.

It can vary area to area quite dramatically. U are probably about right. We pay £650 for a 2bed but our town has relatively high rent. Best thing to do is ring the areas council and find out what there lha for a 4bed is that should give u a rough idea for how much to pay

Hello!
I live in Newcastle and pay £620 a month for a 3 bed flat (one of the bedrooms is very small). We share the garden with the downstairs flat and live 30 mins walk from city centre and right opposite a MASSIVE park. Its lovely and probs should be paying more but no increase in rent for 3 years. I think houses are around £1000 a month in this area at least. Outside the city centre and they can be from £650 a month for something small.
:flower:

I guess so. OH is working in Reading so we need to be within 30 minutes by train really. We also need a 4th bedroom/study for his office which pushes us up a bit. And I know I'm being a complete snob but I neeeeeeeeed a dishwasher & tumble dryer as I've been too spoilt this year and can't go back! I guess I just can't beleive how easy we have it over here :S

ETA: Also, I know this isn't that important but I don't like new builds or cul de sacs. So maybe I'm restricting myself on what we can find. Literally everything I've liked has been £1400 plus. Gahhh :/

West sussex - 800 for a 3bed house in the rough part of town.

What you described would cost 1300 up

We used to rent a 2 bed (double bedrooms), 1 bath, lounge and kitchen/dinner and small study for £700pcm. It was cheap for the area and size of the place (due to being chock full of mould :dohh:). Council ta was about £100pcm.

For the type of house you describe then 1300 ish would be what you'd pay here (south coast village).
850 and you'd get a nice 2 bedroom here. Xx

Ok so maybe its right on the money. but jaysus I wish I could post a pic of our house right now and its awesomeness just to compare. Bloody northern ireland is so cheap - cheap for a reason, but cheap!

There are cheap areas in England too, do you have to be in a particular location for your OH's work? Our old 1 bedroom (2nd floor) flat in SW London would have rented for around £850/month. I think my mum gets about the same rent on the old family home which is a nice 5 bedroom house with a big garden in a great area, but up North.

His job is in Reading so ideally I guess it would be 30 minutes train at most? I don't really know though as we have never really had a commute here :/ Plus if there is a commute, we're talking rent, council tax plus monthly train ticket.

I guess we just wanted to make sure we were actually making money by moving over to England, not just breaking even :/

I live 15 mins from reading and we pay 975 for a small 2 bedroom house with a small garden and no driveway/garage xx

We are selling our house and need to rent for 6 mths. For a nice three bed detached at least 1000 mth that's in cambs

I rent out a small 2 bedroom semi detached house in Hampshire. I charge £750

im paying £700 pcm for a small 2 bed flat.
thats cheap for this area (im down south, one of the most expensive areas of UK). am about 30-40 min drive from Reading & about an hour South of London. xx

Well we've moved in with my parents temporarily which OH finds a job, but our last place was £500/month in a very poor area of Manchester, and was a two bed, one bath flat with kitchen/living room as one and no garden. They remarked the place at £700/month when we moved out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->