Engorgment

Tweetz

Reaction score
Oh my days

I have never experienced anything so horrendous, little one arrived on sunday morning and I've been breastfeeding since... My milk came in the other day and now my breasts are so engorged and huge!!! I know that's normal but I don't think this is... They are 5 times there origionaly size rock hard feel hot, tender and so uncomfortable... One even has lumps to the side which I believe to be blocked milk ducts. Feeding support said not to pump as it could make the matter worst but little one won't feed for too long as the flow is too much, I just know this will end in mastitis if I don't deal with it but if I can't pump it all out what can I do!! Little one isint shifting it... Feeding support was meant to ring me back but hasn't and no one can come out till next week... Been in tears most of day... Should I see a doctor or what I have no idea what to do anymore

La leche league is Free breastfeeding help. Call them and get help! LLLi.org is their site with your areas number

Personally I did pump a little bit to ease the crazy engorgement so my breast wasn’t so full and to get a better latch from baby. Basically just the first let down and then let bubs do the rest. However if you are planning to have a stash of milk there is no harm in actually pumping right now. This is the best moment to establish a great milk supply.

Echoing pandn
I had to express just beforehand until the areola was soft so that baby could latch.
If you've got tender, red lumps or streaks I'd definitely let your care provider know, especially if you begin running a fever. A clogged duct is one thing, mastitis is another.
I found standing directly in a warm shower and gently kneading any lumps to be helpful
Good luck and hang in there!

Echoing pandn
I had to express just beforehand until the areola was soft so that baby could latch.
If you've got tender, red lumps or streaks I'd definitely let your care provider know, especially if you begin running a fever. A clogged duct is one thing, mastitis is another.
I found standing directly in a warm shower and gently kneading any lumps to be helpful
Good luck and hang in there!
Thanks for the reply... I did massage all the lumps and they did decrease but I do have redness on the other breast... No pain in that area just read... Doctor said today she didn't suspect mastitis... But I didn't notice the redness till this evening... So not sure if it's heat related as they are hot and tight and sore from engorgment or the start of mastitis... I keep getting told engorgment will die down in a couple of days but I'm not convinced... I'm in so much pain I feel like giving up and letting it all dry up... IF IT EVEN WILL! just want my old none boob job looking rock hard boobs back :(...

I did have a few days of the super rock hard breasts
My bra ended up being too much and I honestly laid in bed with a large bath towel over them :shy:

I hope you are relieved soon

Just hope it ends soon... Il feed and they now become softer and manageable... Then 2 hours later boom rock hard and sore again... So frustrating just want them to go down and stay down... Grrr this is now day 2 of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->