Epidural Experiences?

akr51411

Reaction score
Hello!

It's looking like I may be getting a c-section due to a breech baby and was wondering what you all who had epidurals thought about the procedure? I am NOT a fan of needles [and yes I do have tattoos.. I know, I know!] and was hoping to get real life ideas on how the procedure goes. It sounds like the "big" needle comes after some general anesthetic to the area so I wasn't sure what to expect. Any insight would be great!

I've had two, and don't remember feeling either one a bit. Maybe a slight pinch. But I was in active labor already and the contractions definitely detract from the needle. So I'm not sure if the experience would be totally different if it's all you had to focus on.

The child birth class videos all showed a general anesthesia being applied to a small area along your spine with a very small needle. Once that anesthesia takes effect, they thread a small catheter in the epidural space and give you a small dose of medication to test out it's effect on you. If everything looks normal and feels normal to you, they then tape the catheter to your back with a steady flow of medication dripping into your epidural space.

I honestly don't remember feeling anything either. I too was in active labour but I'm pretty sure the area was at least number before it went in. I also think the midwife was talking away to me to distract me.

I didn't enjoy the process of getting one started. I know I jumped slightly when they put the needle in. But all was okay later. I did enjoy it once the pain went away and I could relax.

I had no problems with the feel of it go in. Was nothing compared to the contractions. Only problem was they got it wrong first time around and punctured my dura. Spinal fluid was leaking, the affects were not noticeable during birth but once it wore off I was left feeling like a cripple. I had very limited movement of my head was unable to breast feed properly and had to have 5 further injections into my spine with my own blood to try and form a clot. Excellent pain relief... Rather shyt if your that 1 in a million like I was. Good luck! X

It is less painful than getting a blood test or regular injection. I had an epidural with my son and a spinal with my daughter.

It was a sort of 'pop' feeling for me, slightly painful but not bad. Pricking my fingers to test my blood sugars (gestational diabetes) was way more painful.

I had one during my first labour but was already in agony and writhing around so I don't remember much aside from cold spray on my back.

With my second I had an elective c section so was fully aware of everything. With elective c sections you are usually given a spinal block rather than an epidural (epidural you are left with the tube in your back which they top up, a spinal block is a one off injection into the base of the spine).

It was absolutely fine! I'm a total wimp with needles but it really didn't hurt, was just a bit of pressure. They spray really cold spray to the area and then apply numbing cream. Then all I felt was pressure and within a minute my legs felt warm and heavy. They helped me lay back on the bed and that was that. All of that was done in theatre with my husband holding my hand.

Before starting anything they did the ice cube test to check I was numb. I didn't believe I was so they lowered the curtain to show the surgeon pinching my skin so hard his knuckles were white! I couldn't feel a thing!

I'm booked in for another c section in 2 weeks time and while I'm nervous again I know it isn't because of needing another spinal!

X

For my emcs I had a spinal block and I am guessing that is what they will do for you. I think epidurals are more for pain management while in labor. The block isn't painful at all. They had me sitting in a sort of slouch arched back position leaning forward on a nurse. Told me to stay still. I remember telling them to wait as I was starting to have another contraction. Kinda hard to stay still through that. :haha: They walked me through everything they were doing before they did it. First I felt him rubbing my spine to find the right spot. Wiped my back to disinfect it, then put a topical numbing stuff on. Kinda like they do at the dentist. Then told I may feel a slight prick or pinch as the needle goes in. Also told me that my legs would start getting warm feeling and heavy. That is a sign of it working. They then helped me lay down (nothing left in back with a spinal). The prep started of hooking me to monitors. The anesthesia Dr sat near me and said some people get a feeling that they aren't breathing as they can't feel it. He said to let him know if I felt that way. Not sure what he could have done about it other than reassure me I was OK. But I felt my breathing and was fine. Then the nurse or surgeon tested my numbness. Not sure how as I couldn't see. Just asked a couple times 'you feel anything?' I said no. They said OK we are good to go. It really is simple. I am also a needle wimp. I think I was calmer than the nurses expected through the spinal. Gave them a laugh when I said this is nothing I just want to no longer feel the contractions. For me my dh wasn't allowed in until I was laying down, right before they started. I did have serious shakes like someone dumped ice water on me. Teeth were chattering and all. It went away in recovery. They said it was due to the spinal. But who knows. Anyway you will be fine. I will be having an elcs this time. Should be even easier than last time. Less to deal with beforehand.

My OH was with me. I always wondered why they get the OH to leave in some places.

I had an epi with both previous pregnancies. Both times the drip was stopped before pushing. Both times the epi slowed contractions resulting in longer labor. But it did allow me to rest as I had been in labor for awhile before the epidural. The pain of the epi but was nothing compared to the contractions. I barely remember it. I do remember trying to sit still while contracting to get it. I was sitting on the edge of the bed leaning on DH . Crying over the pain of the contractions and having to sit still, the epi was nothing. (I tend to get very fidgety and need to move through pain).

My OH was with me. I always wondered why they get the OH to leave in some places.

I've wondered this too. Before it was done I thought for sure they would let him be with me. But nope. He told me while that wassd happening they were getting him into scrubs, hair net etc. I wonder if it is either because they have had too many dads with needle fright faint or panic the mother. Or maybe it is to keep the area by the bed where they will be operating sterile or something. :shrug: Maybe it differs whether it is due to it being an emcs or elcs. Guess I will find out if that is the case in a few months.

I had a c section and had a spinal block. I was having contractions at the time so it didn't hurt at all. It only takes like a few seconds to do. I think the thought of having it is worse then actually having it. Trust me if u can have a tatoo this will be easy....I'm to scared to have a tatoo

HATE needles (although also have lots of tattoos and used to be pierced up to high heaven too!) but was fine having the epidurals as couldn't see what was going on back there and they numb the whole area anyway so you don't feel a thing. The needle in the hand was awful though, but I'm a wimp and got them to freeze spray my hand before putting it in :haha: with DD2's labour I was having awful back to back pains and contractions so didn't have time to worry about the needle in the hand, and don't remember having it put in so can't have been as bad as I'd anticipated.

I wasn't numbed to have my epidural, and I thought it really hurt! I had to have two, first one failed, and both were very painful. However, it was like magic once it worked, put it this way, I'm planning another for this baby as early as possible.

HATE needles (although also have lots of tattoos and used to be pierced up to high heaven too!) but was fine having the epidurals as couldn't see what was going on back there and they numb the whole area anyway so you don't feel a thing. The needle in the hand was awful though, but I'm a wimp and got them to freeze spray my hand before putting it in :haha: with DD2's labour I was having awful back to back pains and contractions so didn't have time to worry about the needle in the hand, and don't remember having it put in so can't have been as bad as I'd anticipated.

Definitely agree that the needle in the back of the hand is a million times worse! Lol. I couldn't stand seeing it, made me feel queasy to look at it and I could feel it in there constantly. Now that I'm not looking forward to having again!

X

I was already in active labour when I had mine and was in agony with contractions and off my face on gas and air so not sure if my experience is gonna be of any use to you! But so far as I can remember the only pain you feel really is the local anaesthetic going in to numb the area, and that's no more painful than a normal jab - although as I said I was already in agony so not sure on my perspective at that point! If you've ever had local anaesthetic before it'd just be the same though..? And then you just feel pressure etc. as they're putting everything in.

First of all, let me say, I'm absolutely petrified of needles and also have multipule tattoos. I literally get dizzy, gag and weak kneed when I even see one. I also cry like a baby, a lot!
I was in early labour for 10 days, then was having 2 min apart contractions for almost 72 hours. I was adement that an epidural would never be an option, no matter what. However after just over 2 days of 2 minute apart contractions my midwife told me that I really should get an epidural, so they could break my waters and I could get some rest as bub and myself were so exhausted and stressed, otherwise I may have needed forceps or the like to help him. I only made it to 4cm after all of this time in labour. I agreed to the epidural. However, it didn't work, so they gave me a spinal block at about 8-9 cm, which I what you will get for a c-section (at least that's how it is where I'm from)
Firstly, they set everything up, get you into position and steralise the area and all that jazz. Once that's all done they get you to relax, hunch over a pillow and give the local anesthetic. That stings a tad but it's not so bad. Once that's all done, they ask you to be as still as possible, put your chin on your chest and they insert the epidural. Which, in all honesty sounds far worse than it actually is. I felt nothing at all.
What I found really helped for me was sucking on the gas and air until I literally couldn't take anymore, then just zoned out and focused on the feeling it gave me while they inserted the epidural. I was bawling my eyes out (both times) and OH was stroking my hair. It's over very quickly :hugs:
You'll do fine mummah xo Just try and think about the gorgeous little miracle you will have after it's all over because I promise you, as soon as they're in your arms, you forget everything xo

I agree with tiny mumma! It really isn't that bad. And if it helps, I had to have the spinal block too ('cause I ended up potentially having to have an EMCS) and I had the epidural literally whipped out in theatre with no gas and air (after I'd been heavily dependent on it for hours) and after an hour of pushing, and the spinal block done, which is a similar procedure to the epidural. And I didn't care one bit lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->