• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

epidurals

I'm my case my epidural most likely saved my little boys life. It probably did hinder my labour and it ended in a csection, but unbeknown to anyone my sons cord was bundled up by his head. Doesn't bare thinking about what would've happened if I'd began to push.

Thank you all for your stories and inputs! (Lol this is what is hoped for in class, just some general discussion!) My next ob appointment is birth plan, so I'll ask her her thoughts as well, but i think I'm sticking with my "we'll see how it goes plan" and just be a little more informed that i might be more in favor of avoiding epidural than I'd previously thought.

I've had 2 babies, no pain relief at all. Do I think I'm better than someone who had gas or pethadine or an epi or a c-section... no way!! We all do what is best for us and our babies the time!

Before going into labour my intention was to be drug free mainly because I wanted to be mobile and I personally find the idea of a needle in my spine terrifying!

My labours have been short and I was active throughout (8hrs and 1.5hrs) so if my labours had been longer who knows, I may have asked for pain relief. I just dealt with what I was given the best way I could. If you haven't learned some breathing techniques to help you through, I would look into that.

I will say that if you do end up having an epi try lying on your side rather than your back to make things a teeny bit easier for baby and you.

I went 16days over on my son and had four days of getting sweeps and ended out with a forceps delivery a fourth degree tear and rectal bruising.

So this time no vaginal examinations.
I'm being brought in at at 39weeks waters are broken, getting the drip and the epidural administered.
I was failed so badly on my son that I have zero faith in them so this is my way of taking control.

My birth plan is literally one word - epidural ;)

I loved my epidural with DD (I didn't cope very well with the 24 hours of contractions before having it), it was a low dose one so I could still feel pressure from contractions, when to push, and felt baby come out all without pain. I really hope the next experience is as good and my only fear is not making it to hospital in time to have the epidural!

The way I personally view epidurals (and other forms of pain relief) is evolution temporarily screwed human women over; by changing our pelvic structure while we evolved to walking on 2 feet, and giving us increasingly large heads containing complex brains - and now finally the world has balanced itself back out by making said brains clever enough to come up with complete pain relief solutions to counteract our difficult labours. I'm just grateful I was born at this point in humanity :haha:

I'm going to see how it feels and then decide. there's no way to make plans...

I loved my epidural with DD (I didn't cope very well with the 24 hours of contractions before having it), it was a low dose one so I could still feel pressure from contractions, when to push, and felt baby come out all without pain. I really hope the next experience is as good and my only fear is not making it to hospital in time to have the epidural!

The way I personally view epidurals (and other forms of pain relief) is evolution temporarily screwed human women over; by changing our pelvic structure while we evolved to walking on 2 feet, and giving us increasingly large heads containing complex brains - and now finally the world has balanced itself back out by making said brains clever enough to come up with complete pain relief solutions to counteract our difficult labours. I'm just grateful I was born at this point in humanity :haha:

We sound the exact same! Lol. My only fear is not making it in time for the epi. Loved my labours (which included epidurals) with both my boys.

Hahah I like this! Once I'd had my epi and was loopy from the g&a all I kept saying was saying how did people do this in the olden days?! How did my nana do this 7 times without pain relief?!
We definitely do have it good in some ways.

Not meaning to be a scare monger, but my epidural only worked for half of my body, it hindered progress and I had an emergency c-section where I felt the whole process on one side of my body. I wish I would have waited, I got a little uncomfortable and decided I didn't want to feel worse (instead of seeing if they'd get worse) and nabbed the anesthesiologist right as she was leaving, I feel like a lot of things worked against me, just because I was afraid of what the pain could have been.
If I could do over, I would definitely wait and see and make the choice that feels right to you. Wishing you all the best! :hugs:

I don't know about your experiences, but I had an epidural last time and it wore off before labour so I could push without problems. It wasn't randomly applied, I think my ob made some sort of calculation of how much it would last. I had it around 12:30pm and my baby was born at 5pm
I should clarify I made absolutely no research about it and didn't take antenatal classes, so I just pretty much went with the flow. When the pain became really unbearable, I said so.

If you do decide to get an epidural, just remember it's not a binding contract. I had an epidural with my 2nd because I was in slow labor for over 30 hrs and needed the rest. I only had it in for an hour before asking to have it shut off.

I went into labour with the intention of seeing how I felt with regards to pain relief but I had originally said I wouldn't have an epidural..

My baby was almost back to back, the gas and air did nothing for me and I was in agony through being induced as well after my waters broke naturally. I near enough screamed for the epidural haha. Best decision for me definitely. Especially since I ended up having to be cut and having forceps delivery, the epi came in handy to say the least!

Sure I was immobile for around 36 hours afterwards but I didn't care. And the catheter in my bladder - no big deal, didn't feel it, no hassle.

I think it's hard to have a plan because you just don't know how things will pan out.

I came into hospital at 2am and was dilating so fast, the contractions started at 11:30pm at 7 to 5 minute intervals, then at 2:00am I was 4 cm dilated and asked for fentynol, gas & air & fentynol did nothing so at 6am for the epidural. I could still feel my legs as she didn't do a spinal block, and I preferred that. However I had very little feeling from the contractions anymore and was able to push her out in 12 minutes. There was no pain and no ripping, it took 1/2 an hour and three top ups for the Epi to work but very smooth sailing afterwards. Just leave time for the epi to work if you wind up asking for one. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

If you do decide to get an epidural, just remember it's not a binding contract. I had an epidural with my 2nd because I was in slow labor for over 30 hrs and needed the rest. I only had it in for an hour before asking to have it shut off.

I actually didn't know that/was not something they mentioned...interesting/good to know. They'd recommended another drug, an ansalagenic (?), that has short term effects for rest but hadn't really discussed well Yeh if we hook up the epi and you're uncomfortable we take it away.

I love the Epidurals !!! I get it as soon as i am allowed to lol.
I am a mom of three boys and one on the way so i'm constantly up and running around doing things so laying in a bed not feeling pain sounds pretty good to me :)

Wow I didn't know this at all. Obviously I knew you could stop it but are you still bed bound?

Both times I had decided that I'd wait and see how thing went.

First time I asked for epidural 4 hours after they broke my waters, got it more like 5 hours later and then I was fully dilated, baby girl was born maybe an hour later.

Second time I decided I'd try to go as long as possible without it. I was honestly begging for it between 9 and 10 cm but was refused. That was maybe the biggest panic of my life as I had thought that maybe I could still be administered it. Baby boy was back to back which is probably why I panicked...because the first time I was almost fully dilated by the time I had epi and it wasn't as traumatic.

I don't have a problem with epidural. But I don't think I'll ever want it from the beginning of the labor because it is quite manageable early on. Being on bed the entire time didn't bother me (thought it could have helped the second time) and I just didn't want to move anyway, just wanted to sit upright.

And I actually had a catheter both times. The first time because of epidural, second just because my bladder was full and I wasn't progressing. Baby's head was pressed on it or something I dunno because even when I tried to go to the bathroom I just couldn't empty it. They had to empty it for me twice.

Don't let anyone guilt you into either. It's a personal decision and it is your labor!

Wow I didn't know this at all. Obviously I knew you could stop it but are you still bed bound?

I'm not exactly sure, it depends on the hospital really, but I am going to say yes you are because it still takes a bit for the medication to fully wear off (half hr to an hr) plus they leave the tube in your back until after the birth in case you want it back on again which is why I'd recommend asking for another pain medication that won't bind you to the bed as an alternative option.

By the time my epi wore off I was ready to push anyway, plus I was in so much pain at the time I wasn't in proper thinking state and just went for the full epidural lol

Oh by the way. With my dd I had epidural and could still move my feet but was bed bound. But a few hours after dd was born I walked to the maternity wing, no wheel chair and I felt great physically.

However with my ds no epidural, back to back, slightly shorter active labor period but I could not walk on my own two feet for anything after. I welcomed the ride to he maternity suite lol. So in my experience epidural didn't affect my after birth recovery and it was faster with it.

^same here :) right after ds was born I was up and walking on my own within a half hr and honestly felt pretty good for a woman who just squeezed out an 8lb baby :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->