epidurals

I had preterm rupture of membranes at 36 weeks with my first. After holding of ANY intervention to see if labour could start, I was induced 36 hours after my water broke with Pitocin. It was horrid. After 6 hours, I was just 1 cm. Clearly my cervix was not yet up to the job when PROM happened. At that point, pitocin was making me have contractions every 1.5 minutes. I was exhausted and in severe pain. Non stop. I had an epidural. I didn't feel them inserting it as I was in so much pain. Almost immediately I fell asleep and woke 4 hours later ready to push. I felt that the pushing effort was futile as I cld literary feel nothing. Little one was born with forceps as I just wasn't able to push efficiently and lo was getting in trouble. I was just happy it was over. Every birthing story is different & for this one I'll just go with the flow! I'm hoping for full term & am not planning any birthing strategy. I'll see how it goes!

If you do decide to get an epidural, just remember it's not a binding contract. I had an epidural with my 2nd because I was in slow labor for over 30 hrs and needed the rest. I only had it in for an hour before asking to have it shut off.

Wow I didn't know this at all. Obviously I knew you could stop it but are you still bed bound?

I'm not exactly sure, it depends on the hospital really, but I am going to say yes you are because it still takes a bit for the medication to fully wear off (half hr to an hr) plus they leave the tube in your back until after the birth in case you want it back on again which is why I'd recommend asking for another pain medication that won't bind you to the bed as an alternative option.

By the time my epi wore off I was ready to push anyway, plus I was in so much pain at the time I wasn't in proper thinking state and just went for the full epidural lol

Yeah I was the same. I hadn't had any pain relief and was begging for the epidural, then they gave me gas & air while they were prepping it and I was "wispering" to my OH asking why I was getting one.

I had an epidural after 24 hours trying to get from 5-10 and suffering severe dehydration. Mine was deemed the only option other than c section, to relax my muscles enough to get baby out and it worked. I would have one again in similar circumstances but I wouldn't choose it as I found it disconcerting not being able to move and it made me feel powerless. The other thing I didn't like was still having all the stuff attached to me afterwards as I found all the wires made breast feeding harder. Still I'd rather that than Caesarian .

I had an epi when I hit transition at 8cm and kicked in when I got to a 9. It was 5:30 or so in the morning, I had been in labor over 12 hours and awake for 24. I didn't think I would have the energy to push and desperately didn't want an intervention because of it. I am incredibly thankful I chose to get it in that particular situation. With the next, I hope to not need it, bit won't bat an eye if I do. First priority is safe delivery of baby.

I LOVE the guy who put it in. Set the dosage perfectly. I was able to rest for an hour or so, which was awesome. Being stuck in bed was kind of nice after walking nearly non stop for 12 hours! I was still able to turn myself over without help. When it came to pushing, I was able to lead the delivery (say when I needed to push instead of being told when to). I felt all the pressure of the contraction, but none of the pain. I still had that "oh my gosh, I need to push, can I push?? I'm pushing!" moment, which I was afraid I wouldnt have with an epi (as a side note, there was no one at my feet at this point but boy did they jump when I said that, lol. That was the one he came out on).

I would say that there is nothing at all wrong with an epi if that's what YOU feel is best for you. You can aleays have them set it to the lowest dosage and then work up as needed. That way it avoids you being completely immobile. I personally like the epidural better than other IV drug options as it doesn't cross the placenta. I think you have a great mindset to keep your options open and decide when you are in the moment.

Well i apparently wasnt the only one that was irritated, we've spent the past hour and half with myself and dblh and the ten other couples asking a tooooon of questions on procedures she'd skimmed over and not wanted to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->