Episiotomy advice needed! Update........

KatyKat

Reaction score
Ok, so I ended up having an episiotomy and I'm now 4 days on from the birth and in agony. I should add that I also have awful haemorrhoids from both the pregnancy and the birth that aren't helping either..........

I'm literally almost bed bound by it. I can't even sit on a cushion (valley or ordinary) because the pain is excruciating and it's really getting me down. All I can think of is the constant pain. I have paracetamol and diclofenac to take, and I'm using arnica tablets too. I'm sitting in a shallow bath with either a little salt or lavender oil in it twice a day, using anusol for the haemorrhoids and generally trying to cope. :cry:

Is this normal? My DH will only have another week off work and I don't know how I will manage if this isn't better by the time he goes back. I do have family nearby but they also work so there won't be anyone round to help me during the day. It's really starting to get me down and I've come close to tears just thinking about it.

I would maybe call a nurses line or your doctor and see if it's something they should check on. I would think by now the pain should be getting better, hope the pain starts to subside soon!!

After 4 days my episiotimy pain was almost gone. I just had a couple of ibuprofen and was fine. Might be worth getting it checked out. Or it could be the haemmorhoids causing the trouble. Hope it all gets sorted soon x

I would get it checked, does it feel hot to touch? Are you taking lactulose as well? Anusol suppositries will also help with the piles.

I had a third degree tear.
I know the feeling. I couldn't walk upstairs. I had stitches across my my left butt cheek.
I used to sit with the corner of my left bum.
I found it hard to stand up and I found it hard to sit down.

But, I promise after 2weeks you'll feel better. 3weeks allot better and 4weeks you'll be very mobile.

Salt baths are your best friend. I BF so I could only take diclac and paracetamol aswel.

My DH worked 6.30 until 7.30 6days, my mother is elderly my sisters worked full time and my inlaws lived an hour away so it was just us.

I kept everything downstairs so I wouldn't have to be getting up and down allot. No guests you do not have energy for that.

But one promise I can give you it will definitely get better.

I would mention this to your midwife or perhaps book an appointment with gp.

I had episiotomy and it hurt but nothing like what you've mentioned and by day 4 it was bearable. Hope you start to feel better soon x

With my ds now 5 I had forceps and a large episiotomy, the hospital sent me home that same day with mild painkillers, when the midwife visited the next day she found me literally shaking with the pain and was so angry with the hospital, she rang my doctors and immediately went and picked me up strong pain killing suppositories, although they didn't get rid of the pain they did take enough of it away that I could cope, I really feel for you, I would strongly suggest asking for stronger pain relief, and perhaps just get checked out as i was, no one should have to suffer like that, as a pp said by two weeks my pain was subsiding, it took me a good six weeks but a lot of that was due to the birth and the forceps, really hope you feel much better soon xxxx

I agree you should get it checked out. I also had an episiotomy and actually popped some of my internal stitches around a week pp and even then it didn't hurt that much, just really bad when I gotpee on it. I didn't insist on having ssomeone look when I was told that the stinging from pee was normal and now I have a weird hangy flap of skin from it healing weird. It would be much easier to just get it fixed up now and if there is nothing wrong at least you checked :)

Ouch hon I feel for you! As I recall mine got worse before it got better. I was having 2 or 3 baths with Epsom salt each day as that was the only thing that really seemed to help. For me, day 5 was the worst and then it got better.:hugs:

I too had an episiotomy and found it so painful for me having to have stitches again was the part I dreaded most about having a second. I spoke to my midwife about the pain I was in and they tested for an infection (which came back clear) but that was all. I was taking nurofen plus and then paracetamol on a two hour cycle, and taking lavender baths for days. I spent days crying from the pain but after a few days I woke up and it was suddenly bearable. I really feel for you and hope you find something that helps.

I had an episiotomy too but then when they used the forceps pretty much tore me from back to front! It was a 3rd degree tear in the end and took 1.5 hours to stitch me up! I was in hospital overnight as I lost too much blood and they had to pack me out to stop the bleeding. Sorry for too much info...but even with all of this once I got home I was not suffering at all like you are!
Granted I would sit down very gingerly and move a bit at a snail's pace and it was tender/sore but I wasn't bed ridden or in so much pain it was all I could think about.

I would definitely mention to your midwife as it doesn't sound right and more importantly its taking away the first few days of being a mummy, which are stressful but you want to be able to experience anyways.

To put my experience into perspective after all I went through by the time my lo was 4 days old I was out at the shops with my lo and my husband doing a spot of food shopping.

Get checked out hun...wishing you a speedy recovery!

Oh and also not sure if they have but they prescribed me some stool softners after I had my little dude. The one thing I was petrified about was going to the loo but what they gave me made it perfectly fine.

Good luck xx

I remember on day 4 after my episiotomy, I was in a lot of pain and mention it to the nurse. She was more surprised that I thought it would be better by then than the fact I could not sit down. The pain did start getting worse before it got better. They suggested I sit with no trousers or underwear on to let the air get to it. It was about 2 weeks before I could sit and get back up again easily. I was taking both paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time which took the edge off a little.

I would definitely get checked out though, just in case or at least put your mind at ease that all is ok.

I would get it looked at, I don't remember mine hurting, definitely not so bad at 4 days PP. :hugs:

Its funny isn't it cause the forceps didn't tear me or anything they just gave me a v large episiotomy but I was def in a terrible amount of pain, I didn't have an infection or anything and the mW told me it was completely normal after forceps and was just angry I wasn't prepared or given the right pain relief, I'm not sure why its so much worse for some people than others though:( just wanted you to know I was told it is normal, hope you get checked out and some decent pain relief soon xxxxxx

I didn't have an episiotomy, but I did have hemorrhoids before birth, and then after almost 3 hours pushing...those hemorrhoids were a million times worse. :( That was the only pain I had, and it lasted a good 10 days. And to be honest, it was really bad. I had all sorts of creams the hospital prescribed and then used Tucks pads. If I didn't take the pain killers, I was in pain every minute. Are you using any creams or Tucks (witch hazel) pads? They did help, but they didn't help completely. :hugs: I hope you're feeling better soon!!!!

I've been there too :(
that defo isnt right. get one of the midwives to have a look and check.
Mine was so sore and like you, couldnt sit! turns out the swelling was so bad they needed to cut out a couple of stitches so it could heal better without causing so much pain.
Take as many painkillers as you can, I breastfed and took ibrof too (nobody shoot me).
when you go for a wee, make sure you take a jug of warm water with you and I promise that REALLY helps with the sting!
oh and when I could (baby wanted feeding ALL the time!!) have a bath with pepermint oils, that helps with the swelling :)

good luck x

I'd get it checked to be sure everything looks okay down there, but there are some things you can do at home to help the pain too.

Stool softeners for sure for the hemorrhoids. Those may be a bigger part of the pain than you realize. They were AWFUL pain for me with DS1 for a good few weeks.

Make some padscicles. Pour water and witch hazel on some pads, freeze them, and use them for pain relief as needed down there. Also, that Dermoplast freeze spray is pretty good for instant cooling relief.

Jug of warm water when you go pee helps with the sting. A sitz bath is really helpful to relieve the pain.

Witch hazel pads to relieve hemorrhoid pain.

Keep taking pain relief med as needed.

Well, I took the advice given and rang the hospital. I ended up going in via ambulance in the early hours of Sunday morning as I was unable to sit upright. They have given me antibiotics as they think there may be an infection and briefly upped my painkillers to codeine.

However, the codeine and the antibiotics have left me severely constipated :cry: I have lactulose to take but until that starts to work I have this awful pressure in my bum from all the backed up rock solid poo (sorry, no polite way to describe that) and my haemorrhoids aren't getting any better.

So, the upshot is I'm back at home on paracetamol and ibuprofen, taking lactulose and having 2-3 warm baths a day in the hope that something will help. Oh, and I burst into tears when the dry told me that it's likely to be 3-6 weeks before I feel any better as the tear will now need to heal from the bottom up where the stitches came loose, and the open wound will effectively be there for a while :cry:

Right now I would do anything to go back in time and opt for another section instead of a VBAC.............

I'm so sorry, you must be feeling awful but I'm so glad you got checked out, I had the same with painkillers and constipation and same with me it was rock solid and I just could not go, I was advised to get glycerol suppositories and they were amazing, after popping one in 10 mins later I could go the relief! Might be worth asking if you could use them as they gave me lactulose and it doesn't help what's already impacted there, the suppositories worked a dream, you can buy them over the counter from any chemist, I feel so sorry for you, it will get better I promise, it took a few weeks with me but you will get there xxxxxxx

I'm so sorry, you must be feeling awful but I'm so glad you got checked out, I had the same with painkillers and constipation and same with me it was rock solid and I just could not go, I was advised to get glycerol suppositories and they were amazing, after popping one in 10 mins later I could go the relief! Might be worth asking if you could use them as they gave me lactulose and it doesn't help what's already impacted there, the suppositories worked a dream, you can buy them over the counter from any chemist, I feel so sorry for you, it will get better I promise, it took a few weeks with me but you will get there xxxxxxx

OMG, thank you. Got my mam to pick up some of those suppositories for me this afternoon and they have worked a treat. 10 minutes after putting it in I was finally able to go and I have never felt such relief :happydance:

Now I can finally focus on recovering from the episiotomy instead of worrying about my bowels :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->