Ergo vs Moby for the 100th time :p

mcwhmm

Reaction score
Okay, I am the most indecisive person EVER as some of you might have noticed, Lol. I second guess myself a lot, especially when it comes to spending money on something I'm not sure about. I had went ahead and bought a double stroller even though DD will be 3 when baby comes because we go on nightly walks in the spring/summer and we walk miles and DD can't walk that far and yeah.. decided that it was necessary. Now the thought just crossed my mind, what do I do when we take DD to the park? Lol, I don't want to have the stroller just sitting there and would love to still be able to move around with DD. So, I'm thinking about a carrier for this purpose and possibly some shorter walks when DD rides her bike and what not.

I'm really leaning towards the Ergo. Although, to be honest, I'm really not to crazy about either and I'm not sure that I will use it. I have a coupon for Buy Buy Baby that expires on the 9th and we have all of our big items already.

Moby until about 3m/15 lbs, whichever comes first, an SSC is awesome after that but I like Lilebaby much more than Ergo! (You can sometimes find them nice and cheap on Zulily.) I also really love the Moby Go, but it's not great for back carries. But I can carry my 30 lb nearly 3 year old in it with no discomfort at all.

If you can only buy one, the Ergo will last you longer since you can only use the Moby (and other stretchy wraps) until around 15 lbs. I used an Ergo with my first from newborn up and this time I'm using a woven wrap and a Tula. There are tons of different SSCs on the market though, so it's best to try out a few options to see what fits your body type and preferences the best.

I have both and if you are only able to have one then get the ergo. Its so comfortable and will last you much longer than the moby. Its also easier to use. The moby is great when they're newborn but it takes a bit of getting used to whereas the ergo is just snap on and go.

I have an ergo from toddler for when baby gets bigger.

And I bought a boba it was cheaper and it's stocked in the UAE!

I voted for the Ergo, because it has better longevity than a wrap. But I had, and loved, both for my DD. I started off with a wrapped (not actually a Moby) then switched to the Ergo at about five months. I plan to do the same this time.
If you do decide to go for the Ergo, you'll need to get an infant insert to go with it.

Hi! I voted ergo bc as others have said it will last longer and is more practical if you're only buying one. Everyone I know has loved it ( except me ha! I wish I didn't get rid of mine bc I would just send it to you) do you know buybuybaby return policy? I cant remember if they are really really flexible and would let you return it down the line if you really don't like it or use it too much. Otherwise, I think ergos have good resale if you did decide to get rid of it. Good luck deciding!

If you can only buy one and you're sure you'll use it and probably want to use it longer than just the first few months and mostly for outside use (and you have more money to spend), then I'd get an Ergo or an Manduca. The downside is that Ergos are more expensive (about $100 new, not sure about secondhand but be careful because there are alot of crappy fakes being sold as secondhand) and they aren't as comfortable until baby is maybe 6 months (plus you then need to buy the infant insert too) or if you want to use them indoors or while sitting down. If it's purely for outdoor use and doing the shopping or running errands, etc. and you only want to buy one thing that you can use pretty much forever (my 2 year old still fits in the Ergo), then that would be best.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend, really only want something to use early on (first 6 months or so), and you also want something you can use around the house to do housework or to just sit down when you're out and have a cup of coffee or lunch while baby stays asleep, then I think the moby wrap is best. They are so much more comfortable and I felt like I got a lot more use out of my moby in the first 6 months (and then a woven wrap after that) than I did the Ergo. Ergo is great for walks and especially when they are a bit older and you need more support. But I did most of babywearing around the house, for naps, for when we were out in town and then I wanted to just sit down and eat lunch (really uncomfortable to sit down in the Ergo for long enough to eat a meal), while I cooked, etc. and the moby is much better for that.

Me personally, if I could go back and only have one for a new baby, I'd get a moby. Even for walks and such, it was much more comfortable until about 6 months. My husband liked the Ergo for walks as he's a bit more used to carrying a pack, but he still preferred the moby around the house. But I would get whatever you are most likely to use. If you wouldn't feel 100% confident using a wrap and can't get to a sling meet for help use it, then you might get more use out of the Ergo. Really, I just like wraps more and I'm all about comfort because we did a lot of babywearing and that just made more sense to us.

If you want to save money, you don't need an infant insert. One or two rolled up receiving blankets at the bottom works just fine. I did that with DD. :)

I heard good things about the Lillebaby carriers and you don't need an infant insert for them. They also come in organic cotton versions. The Moby ones, from everything I read, are only good for the first couple of months and then the baby is too big for them.

We have the Ergo 360 and I LOVE it. That said, my LO is 6 months old now. When we first got it, it didn't work quite as well as it does now. It doesn't come ready for a newborn; at $25 extra, you have to purchase the infant insert. As the Ergo itself was about $140, that seems ridiculous. It also is quite thick, and as my son was born in August, we had some times where we couldn't use it due to heat. We are TTC now, and plan on getting the Baby K'tan (which is like a no-wrap wrap, if that makes any sense) to use for the first 3 months, and then we'll switch to the Ergo, which offers a lot more support. The Ergo really is fantastic for 3 month+ babies. My son weighs 20 lbs, and I can hardly feel him when I carry him. And I have a notoriously bad back!

I definitely would not have survived without my Moby in the first few months! Strechy wraps are brilliant for small babies, and as a PP said, you can easily wear them around the house and also feed in them. I have never had an Ergo but I have an ABC carrier which is a cheaper soft structured carrier and I really liked that for when DS was bigger, however I still think Moby for a newborn and then save up for a soft structured carrier after a few months. There are stretch wraps cheaper than the Moby which might not be the same quality but would probably be fine for a few months.

I think the thing about the moby (or any wrap for that matter) is the fact that it's like wearing another shirt on top of what you are already wearing. I think that both would probably be hot though in the summer no matter what. They kind of scare me too because they seem complicated! Lol. I was leaning towards the Ergo just for outside use, but I'm thinking a moby may be very good to have handy. I have a (almost) three year old and I know that running around with her and various household things can be difficult (or impossible) when holding a baby and would need my hands free. Maybe I will start out with a moby and see how I feel about baby wearing as I have never done it before and then if we still feel the need, invest in an Ergo. I forgot all about the infant inserts and would likely only use the carrier during the summer when baby will be 3-4 months old at the end of, and likely won't use it next summer when baby will be 1+.

Ergo all the way. I hated the Moby much too much faff and cloth.

I don't however like the infant insert , I think it would make the ergo way too hot. So for our newborn I've got the infantino sash Mei Tai and will use that until baby is a bit bigger.

Sooooooo... I let my buy buy baby coupon expire since I realized that I couldn't use it on the ergo!! I kee flip flopping (indecisiveness, hormones, and being exhausted all the time doesnt help either! Lol)

Soo, really, in all honesty, it seems that a moby AND ergo would be best to buy? I just received my completion packet from target and get 15% off items on my registry and considering getting both.. But would hate to not use them :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->